1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Box suggestion for Tumult!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian-Nu, May 13, 2003.

1. Brian-Nu

Brian-Nu Member

I'm putting the Tumult in my car. I plan to have the box 3.5 ft^3, ported, tuned to 35hz. Does that sound like a good idea to you?

Thanks!

2. Cam S

Cam S Well-Known Member

Ported? I don't know much about the Tumults, but I'm pretty sure they can't be ported very easily. Best bet would be to go sealed if you ask me.

3. Craig Treusdell

Craig Treusdell Active Member

I plan on using a Tumult in my Impala SS in a 3.0 ft^3 box tuned to 20 Hz (tuned low, but that is the sound I am looking for). Check out some other forums that Adire supports and you will find a large amount of info about Tumults ported in cars.

4. edit....I'm a dumb @$$ [​IMG] wrong thread [​IMG]

5. Brian-Nu

Brian-Nu Member

It's recommended to tune the Tumult to 20hz when you use it in home theater application. In cars, it's for music only, in my case. 99% of music does not go below 30hz, there's no point tuning the Tumult low. That's what I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Craig, which forums are you talking about?

6. Cam S

Cam S Well-Known Member

What kind of port is needed to tune a Tumult that low without getting port noise? The Tempest needs a massive box, and the Tumult displaces WAY more air. I'm not getting something here [​IMG]

7. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Well-Known Member

A 30-35Hz tune is just fine for the car (although I'd opt for the lower tune) since you will be getting tons of cabin gain down low. Be sure to use a subsonic filter below Fb to protect the driver though.

Cam,
    Yes, it can be ported using a square or slot port of sufficient size. If the port is too long then just make it turn 90deg. If you go with a slot port be sure to add in "end correction" values too.

8. Cam S

Cam S Well-Known Member

Wow, that would be a great competition sub in a car if it's ported, geez.

9. Craig Treusdell

Craig Treusdell Active Member