What's new

Directors Box Office Kings - How many repeat viewings? (1 Viewer)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
LOTR: FOTR - 8 (once with family, once with friends, and the rest all by my lonesome; Twice by my lonesome when the trailer for TTT was attached)

LOTR: TTT - 6 (thrice with different sets of family, once with friends, and the rest on my own (one time re-watching it right after the first showing ended))

X-Men - 1

X2 - 3 (Yeah! the Phoenix storyline (or close to it) from the books!)

The Matrix - 3

The Matrix: Reloaded - 4

Die Another Day - 1

Star Wars Episode I - 2 or 3 times (one time just for the Ben vs. Maul duel)

Star Wars Episode II - 2

Spiderman - 1

Daredevil - 0 (Not a fan of Affleck as an actor)

To add a couple:
Titanic - 1 (I was forced)
Saving Private Ryan - 3

As for non-theatrical viewings, LOTR: FOTR takes the cake at 30+ viewings combined for the theatrical and Extended DVDs. I will not comment on the number of non-theatrical viewings of LOTR: TTT, and The Matrix: Reloaded....

8^B

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow.
Wow what? It wasn't meant in a derogatory way. The thread was started by someone who obviously doesn't like The Matrix, and I find hardly anyone who's posted is into seeing these movies over and over in the theater. At science fiction conventions the people "outside" are called "Mundanes." I've never thought of it as derogatory. It just means "more normal."

In my own little world I'm perfectly average. I come into this thread and I feel like I'm a freak of nature. :b I'm cool with it.

(Richard sounds like he'd understand me :))

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Well Vickie, I’ve been reading SiFi since I was in grade school. But that does not mean that I think that the first episode of Star Wars is a good movie. After the Ewoks, I vowed never to give Lucas any more of my money.

But I will admit that I watched Episode 1 on DVD. Which led to another vow to never even give Lucas money indirectly. But again I broke the vow so I could see what big money would do for digital production and projection.

But just as I don’t think that you have to be a SiFi fan to appreciate films like Solaris, just being a fan does not change my opinion of some of these movies, or my desire to see repeat viewings.

But regardless of genre or the quality of a film, I can’t think of any film that I’ve seen in a theatre more than a handful of times. There are too many other, unseen films that interest me to see repeat too many times.

But for those who want to go over and over—I think that is one of the things that keeps the industry going and leads to more films, so don’t take my approach as any kind of criticism of anyone else’s.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
At science fiction conventions the people "outside" are called "Mundanes." I've never thought of it as derogatory. It just means "more normal."
Sounds fairly derogatory to me. OED: prosaic, dull, humdrum, lacking interest or excitement.

Yeah, that fits. Haven't seen The Matrix or LOTR 20 times. Pretty humdrum.
:D

(Edited to include smiley).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I don't really keep track of how many times I see something but I'll give my best guesses :) I do like to see stuff I enjoy multiple times in theaters.

LOTR - FOTR
LOTR - TTT

I think I saw these 8 times each. In fact, I just watched TTT again in a second run theater a couple of weeks ago. Just had the itch to see it one more time before the dvd.

XMEN - 3
X2 - 4
Matrix - 3
Matrix Reloaded - 3
Die Another Day - 0

I haven't seen a Bond movie in theaters since Goldeneye (which I mostly disliked), although I did enjoy Tomorrow Never Dies.

Star Wars Ep1 - 4?
Star Wars Ep2 - 2
Spiderman - 3
DareDevil - Ugh. Once.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Shit, I'd never even heard the word until a few years ago, and it seemed to fit well. I've never thought of it as derogatory. My deepest apologies.

It seemed to fit well because I'm NOT NORMAL, and if people have words for people like me (be it nerd, geek, whatever) then there should be a word for non-nerds, non-geeks, non-whatever. People like me were beaten up and ostacized in school by "mundanes" and I wasn't even really part of any SF (or any other) group, I was just "different." I hated those mundanes, and man did I envy Carrie. On the other hand, my parents never saw a science fiction/fantasy movie in their life (with the exception of 2001, and they wanted to leave halfway through), and my dad can't begin to fathom why anyone in their right mind would want to see any movie more than once, even if they really really loved it. They're mundanes to the max, and I love them.

I don't go around referring to people as "mundanes" because it rarely occurs to me to do so. The word just popped out when I read this thread. I certainly didn't mean anything by it.

There are too many other, unseen films that interest me to see repeat too many times.
Sure, me too. I've only seen a handful of films more than a few times (in the theater), and they happened to be the ones mentioned.

Rand

Supporting Actor
None, I don't go to the theater. If it's not on dvd or ld or possibly television, I don't see it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
if people have words for people like me (be it nerd, geek, whatever)
Take heart Vicki. While I can only speak for myself, I have always been interested in the sciences (as well as the arts), to the point that I’ve always made my living from computers (well before they were everywhere). Plus I read so much that my wife and I have a room dedicated as a library but not one for HT. I even like opera and ballet.

At least the geek that I am enabled me to make a good enough living that I can afford some of these toys and did not put offend so many girls that I led a celibate life. :D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'm NOT NORMAL...
Vickie, for what it's worth, and from what I've gleaned from reading your posts over the last several months, is that you are no less normal (or more abnormal) than the rest of us. ;)

You strike me as someone who is passionate and demonstrative about the particular films she enjoys. That could describe many folks around here.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I went back 5 times to immerse myself in the world...
I wonder if this is a common practice among folks who really dig Star Wars or LOTR or Alien or other such films?

Personally, I have a really tough time 'forgiving' a bad film, whether or not it belongs to a particular genre or whether or not it is part of a lauded series. I thought Phantom Menace was a dull, poorly-executed and uninteresting film. I have a hard time imagining myself seeing a film like that multiple times just to re-enter its world and soak up the atmosphere, even if I were a huge fan of the series (which I'm not).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
even if I were a huge fan of the series (which I'm not).
Well I'm guessing that's probably why you found the much-maligned 'Episode I' dull, poorly-executed and uninteresting, were the others boring too? Did you find Gosford Park a lot more exciting? Sorry I got carried away what was the question?:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks