What's new

box for upcoming Star Wars films (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I wish I knew. One set that happens to have a few floaters might actually get opened somehow mysteriously ;)

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Wow are those beautiful!!

I just ordered some and had them resized to fit 9 DVD cases so that they can cover the 6 movies, the Original Trilogy Extras, and the two Clone War DVD's.

That is going to make for a nice center piece of my collection.

I did not realize Paul had his own site. I have one of his first boxes that he made and it is truely a thing of beauty, I can't wait to get this one.

Thanks for the link,

Andy

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just saw this new release at Wal-Mart today, looks really nice but it seems the outer case is kinda flimsy unlike the original one.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Any reviews yet as to whether they are simply repackaging of the curent releases, or whether GL quietly corrected some things (the reversed surrounds, etc.)? I know t's very unlikely, but when Star Wars was first sourced from the widescreen Japanese LaserDisc master in 1989, the CBS-FOX pressing had an "amazing shrinking aspect ratio" problem, which was quietly fixed and released under the FOX Video label in 1990. Both releases had the same catalog#, too (the only way to tell which one you have is whether it has the CBS-FOX or FOX Video logo on it...).

RogerH

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen any reviews yet but it would have to be a HUGE difference for me to buy them again.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor
Would love to know if the surrounds are fixed. If they are, there will be a purchase in my future.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
If they are fixed, that means someone lied. It also means someone owes me some fixed discs.

Not that it matters because I am sure they're just repackaged and discounted for the gift-giving season.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just saw this at starwars.com:

"Star Wars Trilogy DVD 3-Pack Now Available"
December 02, 2005

In time for the gift-giving holiday season is a three-disc repackaging of the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. This set is for those who are interested in adding the movies to their DVD library, but are not looking for value added material like documentaries, trailers, galleries and more. This release is identical to last year's set , except that it lacks the fourth bonus disc. It makes a good gift for families or for new Star Wars fans eager to own the classic saga that "follows" the events of the just-released Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith DVD.

As these discs are the same ones from the 2004 release, this set presents A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi digitally remastered and restored to unprecedented picture and sound quality. Each film is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. Optional audio commentaries include insights from writer/director George Lucas, director Irvin Kershner, sound designer Ben Burtt, visual effects supervisor Dennis Muren and actress Carrie Fisher. This set is available in both widescreen and full screen versions. (Don't know the difference? Click here to find out more).

If you've already own the 2004 four-disc DVD set, you've got this set and more; there's no need for you to pick up this one. But if you've been holding out for something that may better suit your budget, or know someone who hasn't yet added these movies to their DVD library, this might be the alternative for you.

So this pretty much answers our questions.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Not necessarily.... But I bet you are right. Lucasfilm didn't admit to fixing the unstable aspect ratio problem of the first letterbox laserdiscs either, but they fixed the problem with a silent (well, almost silent) re-release two years later (even the catalog#'s were the same).....

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Has anybody confirmed that the same "creative decision" for the surrounds on ANH is still on these discs?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I still have the new box set in my possession so I can give this a shot later.

Any specific timecode you can think of where it's more obvious than usual?

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
I have not watched it in a while, but I remember it being more prevelant during the Cantina.... Also, there is the buried "Force Theme" during the opening dive into the Death Star...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks