What's new

"Bowling for Columbine" delayed until June? (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

I thought people were complaining about the red cases...

Anyways, I don't think Alliance is incapable of replicating those covers. Just look at the Goldmember cover, it has all the glitz you are asking for. I don't know why they didn't do the same for Rush Hour 2 though...but it's not because they can't do it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Great, and I will go into a Star Wars thread and tell everybody I don't ever plan to buy the original movie whenever it appears on DVD. Please save those comments for elsewhere. Thanks.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
don't know why they didn't do the same for Rush Hour 2 though
Well part of the reason why Goldmember would have it, and RH2 wouldn't (as far as I could guess anyways) is that DVD production is growing in Canada. That is, the ability to produce the same quality packages as their US counterparts. I remember how old Alliance titles (suck as Good Will Hunting) had their cover art on cheap paper, that was comparable to the type you used home printers.

Times have changed, they've made more money, and upgraded their facilities. So it's getting better, just with that damn French Titles. It didn't bother me so much when they had the reverse jackets one side French, the other English), but this new strategy is just plain dumb (incidentally, they still have reversed jackets, with French and English on both side -- what a waste of ink!)

My strategy (and I don't know the how cost friendly this would be) is to produce a large English batch of Discs for Canada, and a smaller French batch for Quebec. Lets be honest with ourselves, if you live outside of Quebec you must know enough English to recognize a DVD title.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
that's right. I totally forgot that it's been such a long time since RH2 came out on DVD. In fact, it came out before the French thing began. Maybe Alliance will re-do the packaging once RH3 comes out.

I actually think Alliance is improving. They have been upgrading the way they do things. The only thing that I can see being annoying is the French as you guys mentioned...but I personally don't mind them. They're not the only ones doing it. Though I agree, Fox currently has the best strategy IMO by releasing separate versions.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster has pulled this from their "coming" list at all local stores; and their staff say due in -DECEMBER- now..

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Blockbuster has pulled this from their "coming" list at all local stores; and their staff say due in -DECEMBER- now..
I bet that Blockbuster, not having a date but wanting to show it as "not coming anytime too soon", changed it in their corporate system to December because that's "as far away as you can get without adjusting the year".

In my decade-plus in retail, I learned that this is a common trick that most chains do to their computer systems.

The problem is the result you see: Blockbuster employees parrot that date, when it probably has no basis in reality.

The reality right now is that there is NO solid date assigned to this title. I'm constantly checking, as I'm sure others here are who have access to MGM's release schedule. The second a solid date is re-announced, I'm sure it will be posted here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks