Bought my first Smart Watch (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Gear-Live-620x374.jpg
Spent yesterday morning going to 4 different stores across the county looking for the Samsung Galaxy Live.​
Seems that though this smart watch was released only two months ago, most stores don't carry it anymore and most of the clerks I talked to never even heard of it.​
Reason being, Samsung released this Android Wear Watch on July 7th. Shortly thereafter, the company decided to abandon Android Wear and quickly release two new watches, the Galaxy Gear 2 and Galaxy Gear 2 Neo which operates on the Tizen OS system.​
Samsung is hoping that the Tizen OS takes off for them. However, most of the research I have done points to Android Wear being the operating system with the most growth potential.​
So, I gave up the opportunity of buying one of the new Samsung phones that allows you to make/receive phone calls from the watch -and- has substantially better battery life in order to go with a older watch that runs Android Wear.​
Honestly, I was going to wait for Apple's announcement on September 9th before considering a smart watch. However, I am not convinced I am going to go back to the iPhone. I am convinced whatever Apple announces will take a few more months to appear on store shelves. Until then, I don't mind investing $200 on a gadget that I can play with until then -- and possibly further down the road.​
What do I think of the watch? It's a cool gadget. I have been downloading all sorts of watch faces and apps to install. Since it's Android Wear, it's powered by GOOGLE NOW, so all I need to do is say "Okay Google" to bring up a prompt and get most any information that I need just by talking to the watch. I love the fact that email notifications pop up, allowing me to glance at (and even delete) them without taking my phone out pocket.​
Yes, it rather sucks that this phone only gets a day's battery usage. However, thus far, I don't mind charging it every night whilst I sleep.​
Really, haven't had the chance to truly play around with this watch to see everything that it can do for me. I plan to take it on vacation with me in another week. If it turns out I absolutely hate it, I will return it to Best Buy.​
Call this a curiosity purchase. I could have waited for Samsung's beautiful "S" watch to be released next month, but that runs on the Tizen operating system, and really, I wanted Android Wear.​
I'll try to keep this thread updated with my experiences if anyone is interested. I know most of you have previously expressed that you aren't very interested in these watches.​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My first attempt at creating a custom watch face using a Wearables App:

20140901_031252.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sorry Ron, but from my personal perspective, it seems like a waste of money to me. I have no use for any watch with me carrying a cell phone all of the time. I hope it gives you the enjoyment or convenience you're aiming for.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Robert Crawford said:
Sorry Ron, but from my personal perspective, it seems like a waste of money to me. I have no use for any watch with me carrying a cell phone all of the time.
+1. I used to be big on watches, have several I wore interchangeably. But when the battery ran out I just stopped wearing a watch as, like you, I have my cell phone with me at all times.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
There is nothing I can say here that is going to change the minds of anyone who
thinks that a SmartWatch is a waste of money or impractical.

So, I'll talk a little about myself...

I have always been a gadget person. First guy to buy whatever is new on the block.

I owned a digital camera when everyone else was still shooting on film.

I owned a PC and was cruising the Internet when everyone labeled people like me
as "nerds" and "geeks."

I owned an iPhone and iPad before anyone really knew what they were or thought
they really needed one.

To many, they were a waste of money and impractical when they were first released.

Look at where all those devices are today.

What I have on my wrist is the future. A lot of money and resources are being spent
on wearables. No doubt....it is the next big thing.

I'm used to hearing "it's a waste of money." And perhaps now, at this point and at
ground level it might be.

But you know what? I sat here for days struggling with reasons to buy a SmartWatch.
Since I left the store yesterday with one in hand, I am already seeing how practical these
devices really are.

I keep my phone in my pocket. If not in my pocket, it sits in my charger. It's never always
within reach.

I have constant notifications being sent to my watch. I can glance at new emails. I can
compose and reply to SMS messages and emails without lifting a finger. I just speak into
the watch. Forecast? Just ask my watch to immediately display the weather.

Gets better while I am driving....

At a red traffic light. I simply twist my wrist and scroll through email notifications. If I hear
a song I like on Sirius/XM radio and want to note the artist and title so I can download it later,
I simply say "Okay Google, take a note........." Whatever note I just spoke gets synced to my
computer or phone via the Evernote app.

If I am out and about and need to look something up on the Internet, I don't need to pull the
phone out of my pocket, then unlock it, then head over to search. All I do is flick my wrist,
say "Okay Google......." and I can voice search for instant answers that appear across the face
of my phone.

As I sat here and typed this reply, I felt my phone buzz on my wrist. Someone replied to a
Facebook post I made and a card just appeared spelling out the reply.

Yeah, I know, a waste of money and impractical for some right now but already there have
been major advancements made with these SmartPhones. The new Samsung Tizen phones
(which I don't care for because of the OS) allow you to make and receive phone calls directly
from the watch without having to take your phone out of the pocket. Totally Dick Tracy. The
call quality is supposed to be outstanding as well. So, again, out and about in the open and
you can answer your phone without having to take it out of your pocket.

....and we haven't even seen what Apple is about to announce. Though I have become very
attached to Android and have vowed never to return to the iPhone -- my next phone purchase
is going to be based solely upon who makes the better watch. So, if Apple announces a killer
watch (iTime or iWatch) in another week, you can bet I am going to unhappily ditch Android and
return to the iPhone brand (with their bigger phone).

I completely understand the negative head shaking right now. Once again, I'm buying into
technology before anyone really considers its relevance. However, I totally feel I am getting
$200 worth of satisfaction from this purchase. I have been playing with it endlessly, it looks great
on my wrist and for some time, it's going to be a great conversation piece due to the fact that
nobody really has given a second thought to it.....yet.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't have a smart watch, but I still always use a watch on my wrist to keep track of time.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

Whatever floats your boat as I was speaking from my own personal perspective as I would never tell another person how to spend their monies.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, I don't mind the negative personal perspective.

To be expected with new technology.

I do think the both of you will own a Smartwatch at some point....

...just not yet.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
Oh, I don't mind the negative personal perspective. To be expected with new technology. I do think the both of you will own a Smartwatch at some point.... ...just not yet.
I doubt it! Like not having to wear a watch any longer. With retirement coming closer with each passing day, I see no reason to ever wear one ever again despite how many tech features it has in it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Our company has a strict no cell phones allowed policy. 2nd time caught, fired.They've already decried these as a phone.Our facility has R&D and Q&A departments. No communications in or out...not on the corporate system.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The nice thing about wearing a smartwatch is that you can sneak a peek at
mail and other alerts without taking anything out of the pocket, and thus,
attracting attention to yourself with a phone.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ronald Epstein said:
The nice thing about wearing a smartwatch is that you can sneak a peek at mail and other alerts without taking anything out of the pocket, and thus, attracting attention to yourself with a phone.
Yeah, they thought of that already. It is the watches ability to run on wifi and remote access...is why they are already banned.Seriously, if I tried to go beyond the lunch/break room(which is where our lockers are) with the LG watch...I'd get stopped. Necklaces and dangle earrings aren't allowed either.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interesting, Ron! I look forward to hearing more from you on the topic. :)I'm jealous you can play with these and figure out their benefits. Wearables don't have a place in my life for the immediate future. But I'm curious.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had the first Gear and the only thing I found use for was the mileage tracker while walking through the Orlando theme parks. Don't need a clock because there is one on my phone and just about anywhere else I look. If I'm spending 3 or 4 hundred on a new phone I can't justify another 2 or 3 on a watch that does what my phone is already doing

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Really love this Smartwatch concept.

Problem is, I am only getting 6-8 hours battery life because of all the
notifications I receive.

I mean, I get 70+ emails per day. I get a lot of text messages. This watch
is used often. Most people I have talked to get over a day with the Galaxy S,
and I am getting a quarter of that.

I believe I have found the best SmartWatch out there. It's better than anything
else currently available....

...in fact, it's gorgeous.

I think once you see it, it's going to be hard to deny that this is a killer watch.

It's certainly the watch Apple needs to beat at a lower price point.

I don't mind paying $549 for it (and that'a preorder price) for what it offers.

Ready to be amazed? Check out the video...

https://kairoswatches.com/

Truly, I hope Apple can't beat this. I want to stay with Android and buy this watch.

However, if Apple can equal what this watch does at a better price point then consider
me an iPhone owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks