1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle Rocket: Criterion Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by joshEH, Sep 28, 2007.

1. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    This just in from Bill Hunt's daily "Digital Bits" update:

Hell yeah. You can also read the original MTV article here.

Too bad The Darjeeling Limited likely won't be getting the Criterion treatment, though, being released through Fox Searchlight and all.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Good news! I assume we'll see this the same day as The Darjeeling Limited comes out on DVD (whether Fox or Criterion is distributing it).

3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Screenwriter

Joel Henderson
    That doesn't mean anything since Criterion still maintains a good working relationship with Fox.

Fun trivia!: Unless American Emperical bought the film back, this would be the first Sony title that Criterion has released since their laser days.

4. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Screenwriter

Yeah, Fox is Criterion-friendly.

I'm still gonna be a bit skeptical about this until it's officially announced.

Richard Linklater talked about wanting Criterion to release "Before Sunrise", "Before Sunset" and "subUrbia" in the press even though Warner Bros. is similarly opposed to licensing their films. Similarly, Darren Aronofsky had people on his MySpace hounding Criterion even though it was a Warner Bros. title and thus unable to be licensed to Criterion.

Corin Nemic also got the ball rolling with Shout! Factory for a DVD release of "Parker Lewis Can't Lose" but Sony put the kibosh on it.

The truth is, Wes Anderson and the people at Criterion may be willing to do it but Sony might put their foot down and that's would obviously be the end of the line.

One way I can see this happening though would be if it was actually a Sony-manufactured and -distributed disc with Criterion-produced supplements and packaging (courtesy of Eric Chase Anderson, naturally). That's how the other three Wes Anderson films in the Criterion Collection were released. They're actually manufactured and distributed by Buena Vista Home Entertainment (Disney).

I think it's far more likely that Wes Anderson would convince Criterion to suck it up and essentially produce supplements for another company than convincing a huge conglomerate to change their corporate policies. I can also see them being more willing to play second-fiddle to Sony if Anderson promised them his next two films, both of which are Fox titles and thus available to Criterion.

But I certainly hope it's true (no matter who's pressing and distributing the DVD) and I hope we get confirmation sooner rather than later.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    regardless as to how this comes out, under the Criterion banner or no, I'll be snapping it up. [​IMG]

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

However this happens, it's gotta be better than the current disc!

So... Yaaaah!!!

7. Clay_E

Clay_E Stunt Coordinator

I've held off buying this movie on DVD for years in hope of Criterion doing this one eventually - hope this happens!

8. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I knew this was gonna happen - knew, knew, knew! - as soon as the $6 disc showed "out of print" at Deep Discount DVD.

Good knew... er, news!

9. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Well it's about damn time! [​IMG]

I've been waiting for Criterion to finally do this movie for years now. Glad I never gave in to the temptation of buying the crappy barebones release.

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Screenwriter

Now I love Criterion as much as everyone else, but why do you say that? Couldn't Fox put out a version as good as Criterion?

11. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Screenwriter

Joel Henderson
    Again there is nothing preventing a Criterion edition of Darjeeling Limited. They have a relationship with Fox that is still quite strong.

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Tuesday! [​IMG]

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
    New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman
    Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
    Commentary by director/co-writer Anderson and co-writer/star Owen Wilson
    The Making of Bottle Rocket : an original documentary by filmmaker Barry Braverman featuring Anderson, James L. Brooks, James Caan, Temple Nash Jr., Kumar Pallana, Polly Platt, Mark Mothersbaugh, Robert Musgrave, Richard Sakai, David and Sandy Wasco, Andrew and Luke and Owen Wilson, and Robert Yeoman
    The original thirteen-minute black-and-white Bottle Rocket short film from 1992
    Eleven deleted scenes
    Anamorphic screen test, storyboards, location photos, and behind-the-scenes photographs by Laura Wilson
    Murita Cycles, a 1978 short film by Braverman
    The Shafrazi Lectures, no. 1: Bottle Rocket
    PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by executive producer James L. Brooks, an appreciation by Martin Scorsese, and original artwork by Ian Dingman

13. Bill GrandPre

Fox could have put out a Criterion-quality release. They didn't. Fox has a good relationship with Criterion. Criterion is Wes Anderson's studio of choice.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a Criterion "Darjeeling" is in our future.

14. Corey3rd

Corey3rd Screenwriter

Fox might still be wanting to get their money back on this title before they start profit sharing with other video companies. Wes has conditioned fans of his films to expect a Criterion DVD so they will resist buying the studio release to avoid double dipping. He is a director whose films have a better following on DVD than in the cinema.

Sony waited 10 years before letting Criterion touch Bottle Rocket even though it's been rumored since Rushmore. It's all about maximizing profits on films that tanked theatrically. Maybe Limited will come out in 2016.

15. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

16. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

Is anyone else kind of peeved at some of the screen shots on the review over at DVD Beaver?

It's like, Wes Anderson has gone back and "color-corrected" his first film to look overly saturated like his last 3 films (especially "Darjeeling").

I'm hoping that the stark differences between some of those screenshots does not become too distracting--the most annoying one is the shot of the notebook. White paper...for some reason looking sepia-toned. Why?

I don't have Rich-Text on this browser, so bare with this long link to the review:

Bottle Rocket Wes Anderson Owen Wilson

17. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

The colour doesn't really bother me. Colour wasn't the only problem the old transfer had! So I'm just happy that there will be a a new version with a decent transfer, and with lots of extra features.

18. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Tiny tiny gripe on my end, but it looks like the trailer is not included. Granted, it's not a particularly innovative trailer, but I would think it would be interesting to see how Columbia tried selling the movie long before Wes Anderson became his own selling point.
    I suppose it's those darned music rights again.

19. Bill GrandPre

Sony didn't wait 10 years to let Criterion touch "Bottle Rocket". They changed their policy on licensing to other studios. It's no coincidence that Time Life's "Real Ghostbusters" release is shipping within days of Criterion's "Bottle Rocket" release. The Sony floodgates opened to other studios at the same time and that has no bearing on if or when Fox decides to license "Darjeeling" to Criterion. Fox has license to companies like Criterion for years, Sony only just started. Apples and oranges.

20. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Screenwriter

Joel Henderson
    I was under the impression that Wes bought the rights to the film back and Sony wasn't involved with the production of this dvd at all.