What's new

Boston obituary, Sight and Sound (1 Viewer)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Sight and Sound (Wok Talk Inc.) of Waltham, Mass. is closing its DVD store this month.
They were a big laserdisk rental and sales store catering to the metrowest Boston area and also had good mail order and used disk trade in departments. They did get into DVD too. I purchased many laserdisks, new and used, mostly used, from them.
But laserdisk was a niche market with relatively few outlets while DVD is in lots of department and record and video stores. Sight and Sound made their owners a lot of money and they said it was time to retire.
The shelves were almost bare when I visited mid day of the first day of their "closing sale" (Feb. 13). Less than two dozen used laserdisks on the shelves contrasted with several hundred a few months ago. Rows and rows of DVD shelves were empty. The flyer said that a few more shipments were coming in during the closing sale.
"Life with Father" (DVD) was sitting on the counter and I tried to purchase it. It didn't show up in their computer and they said "take it for free, someone probably left it when they couldn't trade it in. (Trade ins were discontinued due to the store closing sale).
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's a shame. I bought most of my LD collection there. But at least it sounds like they came out of it OK (i.e. not bankrupt).

David Rubenstein

Stunt Coordinator
When I lived in Boston, I would visit them at least once a week to pick up all of my LD pre-orders. The last time I was in Boston, I stopped by the store and they had just cut the size of the store in half. I remember leaving thinking it was just a matter of time. I really enjoyed getting their monthly newsletter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks