What's new

Boston Legal Worth a Blind Purchase? (1 Viewer)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I think it's worth a blind purchase, and I only started watching starting with Season 2. Looking forward to the bonus disc with the Practice since I never saw that either.

First name "Denny". Last name "Crane".

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
So what are chances we would get Season 2 before Season 3 starts? I'd like to check the show out, but I'd hate to have to queue up all the S3 episodes on my DVR until S2 arrives.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Zero.

I think we could get it for November, but even thats a bit of a quick push.

We would probably get Season 3 before 4, assuming that happens - by then we should be caught up.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
So did anyone happen to buy the set today at best buy and get the practice bonus dvd ? I just purchased the set but did not see any bonus dvd stuck on the back of the package like they usually do with bonus dvds. But all the sets had includes best buy bonus disc stickers on the front. Could the bonus dvd be inside the actual set ? I hate to open it and find it not there. If someone could let me know i would appreciate it. Thanks!

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
Alex (or anyone else who bought from Best Buy),
I just got my order from bestbuy.com but nowhere on the box does it have a sticker that says anything about The Practice bonus DVD. Is that what Disc 5 of the set is, or did I get shafted?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Disc 5 is not the bonus disc, the practice dvd is in a white sleeve slipped inside the set. I would say if your set does not have the sticker on the front that you did not get one with the bonus dvd.

I wouldn't say you got shafted. There was limited supply for each store. Your best bet would have been to pick it up in store, unless it told you online you were getting the bonus disc with your order.

Dan Keefe

Second Unit
I'm about as right wing as they come and Shore's commenst don't bother me a bit...

Shore: I thought you told me you could never look at a gun again?
Denny Crane: I never said I wouldn't use one again!

DENNY CRANE

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I liked the recent trial that put high fructose corn syrup on the spot. When they preach, they have a message. And usually it's a good one. Take the ear muffs off people, the show actually wants you to think while being entertained. A rare commodity these days.

That chemically altered stuff is REEEEAAAALLLLLY bad news, that should be wiped from all food, and a growing trend that our daily diets are killing us.

Oh, and by the way... Denny Crane!!

Dan

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Season 1 is a lot more entertaining than I thought it would be. First Seasons tend to suck and it had such a different cast - but some episodes are very, light and funny.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Wasn't it coming Sep 26th ? I guess maybe that date got pushed back that is the last date i heard though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well it's not the first time that I'm late to the party. :D

But...I did a blind buy of Season 1 of Boston Legal (mostly do to all the good things I've heard about the Shatner/Spader interplay).

My wife and I are loving the show...and are glad to see that Season 2 will be right at-hand when we complete Season 1. And, that Season 3 is due right along on September 18. Maybe we'll even be able to get a deal on a joint purchase of seasons 2 & 3! :emoji_thumbsup:

While the storylines so far don't seem too over-the-top...the characters are very much over-the-top and terrific. I cannot stop laughing at "Denny Crane." What an inspired bit of casting.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Not catching this in its original ABC run, I recenly downloaded the entire first season of Boston Legal from one of the torrent sites for free, and watched the first few episodes. This was typical David E. Kelley, producing still another off-the-wall lawyer series combining comedic elements from Ally McBeal and characters from the more serious The Practice and basically spinning off into Boston Legal.

It's a 21st century showcase for two former aging Star Trek actors: William Shatner (who gets to frequently display his comedic side) and Deep Space Nine's more serious Rene Auberjonois.
James Spader also played Alan Shore in the final season of The Practice.

As good as some of the actors and even the storylines are, I couldn't get into this show for the same reason as The Practice -- too much handheld camerawork, which is nauseating to watch for an hour and really doesn't belong in a legal drama. But after seeing much of that in "24" (which I'm a big fan of), I could someday probably get into Boston Legal.

A minor complaint: I don't care much for some of the R & B heard on the show either, heard in bits throughout each episode.

Another trademark of David Kelley: Beautiful female lawyers. However, from what I've read about the ladies of Boston Legal: Rhona Mitra, Monica Potter, and Lake Bell were all gone around the end of the first season / early second season. Kelley eventually went against his own MO, and hired someone old and withered: Candice Bergen, a former lover of Denny Crane.

The Practice's Lara Flynn Boyle, meanwhile, turned up guest starring as a psycho bitch in several first season episodes of Showtime's "HUFF" -- certainly one of her more intense roles.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I hate the show, awfully paced, styled and filled with annoying characters, bitchy women and sleazy men trying to act funny. No thanks, never liked "Ally McBeal" either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.