What's new

Boston Legal season 3 thread (1 Viewer)

Greg_C_T

Second Unit

Oops... it made sense when I was typing it. :)

Another new episode tonight--here's hoping it's as good as the last two!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mmm... Gail O'Grady did look yummy in the robe. Spader's closings are just amazing to watch and listen to on a weekly basis.

Couldn't muster much interest in the "Who's the daddy" subplot with Denise.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While I had no problem with Brad objecting to Denise having an abortion. I was annoyed they had him continuing the ridiculous comments about the kids potential schooling. It was funny the first time. Since when you first find out you are having a kid...You think of the wierdest things. And as a father of three. I can attest to the nutty things you think and worry about when you find out. But, when they had him harp on it again. It got stupid.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
April 3rd-Son of the Defender

Interesting episode that weaves 1957 footage of a young William Shatner from the Studio One series in an episode titled The Defenders and co-star Ralph Bellamy as a fictional father to Shatner's Denny Crane.

ABC hyped it as the most suspenseful episode ever. It had more laughs I thought, typical of Kelley. Particularly the antics of Brad. The "B" story with Alan defending a prostitute who was caught with a senator was a distraction to the main story. I think the main story could have been better done without it, perhaps there just wasn't enough material to fill the hour.

The interesting thing was seeing Shatner so young and principled as a young lawyer under the thumb of Bellemy as the strong overbearing father. I thought his acting was stronger then as the older goofy Denny Crane. An odd acting choice for Shatner, but the the character seemed to be more focused on his internal struggle with that trial and not expressing it externally.

Shatner did come back in the end as the hero, but as Denny Crane. He's not playing him the way he'd play James T. Kirk, and perhaps that's what I was expecting and not the intent, he's just a lawyer struggling with a case that had much reprocusions on his career. He was so sullen in his actions and performance. Which probably was appropriate for the character seeing the results of his actions as a young man on the lives it touches later. Also interesting was what he admits to Alan at the end.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Tiny correction: The Studio One episode (two episodes, actually, Part 1 and Part 2) was called "The Defender" - singular, hence the Boston Legal title. The show was written by the legendary Reginald Rose, who also wrote 12 Angry Men (originally a 1954 teleplay for Studio One.) Steve McQueen played the accused. :)

The Defenders was an ABC series (1961-1965) that was inspired by "The Defender". E.G. Marshall played attorney Lawrence Preston while Robert ("Mr. Brady") Reed played son Robert, a newly minted law school grad. In the original the Prestons were Walter and Kenneth, so it may be that they were meant to be another father/son pair (was Marshall the brother of the Bellamy character?) at the same firm, perhaps because the original drama ended with too much of a breach between the two.

William Shatner guest starred on the show several times during its run, which led to a series of his own, For the People, which ran for 13 weeks in 1965. Produced by one of the creators of The Defenders, it was an attempt to look at the legal system from the other side, with Shatner playing a crusading district attorney.

Regards,

Joe

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Finally got around to watch the last episode, Guise N' Dolls, where we see a different side of Steve Urkel. :)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Last night was pretty good, some good laughs, but the best was Denny Crane with the shot gun and the duck. "Oh there it is", it's full of blanks, then the duck dies due to a coronary. Classic Denny Crane.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
You know, both their fingerprints have to be all over that cup. ;) And they're both in the system. (Denny just from having been admitted to the bar, Alan from that and for numerous actual arrests. :))

I just don't think they finished the joke:

(O.S. SFX: Car alarm in the distance)

Alan: (Looking down)

Denny? Isn't that Shirley's car?

:D

Joe

valoisr

Auditioning
Real Name
Raymond
I've read through the entire thread and don't see anyone having problems with the center channel on 5.1 sound.

There have been approx 4 episodes where the center channel (voice) is so low you can barely make it out but the sound through the other channels is the way it should be.

It's the O N L Y program that I watch in HD that behaves this way. It is so %$%#%$%%@%% frustrating I could ... well, never mind.

Anyone else have this problem :angry: ???

Ray

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
5/29 Season Finale-

Nice to see Shatner's character pull it together and be his old self. More of a reference to his days as a leading man, verses this character's tendancy to goofyness. Though I apprciate that his character may appear that he's got a few screws loose, he's actually still pretty sharp and Alan can see that.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The ending on the balcony pulled this episode out of mediocrity for me. Both cases just wrapped up way too neatly and I thought they both appeared rushed and not very convincing, especially Denny's and Alan's cases. I thought it made an OK regular episode, but fell flat to me as a season finale. Jerry's purring is getting a bit annoying to me. Just overdone at this point. That said, I still love this show above anything else on television right now.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Thought it was ok for a finale, I'm actually glad that Denny hasn't really lost all his marbles, don't get me wrong he's always entertaining with his stunts, but I'm glad they gave him some lawyer work to do to show that he can still represent. I wouldn't mind seeing him in action more down the line.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I also agree. I would really like to see more of the "still perfect" Denny Crane. I don't mind the occasional goofiness. I think it would be cool to see him be totally sharp in the courtroom..But, then be a bit goofy out of the courtroom.

valoisr

Auditioning
Real Name
Raymond
I've read through the entire thread and don't see anyone having problems with the center channel on 5.1 sound.

There have been approx 4 episodes where the center channel (voice) is so low you can barely make it out but the sound through the other channels is the way it should be.

It's the O N L Y program that I watch in HD that behaves this way. It is so %$%#%$%%@%% frustrating I could ... well, never mind.

Anyone else have this problem ???

P l e a s e p l e a s e ... can anyone help ???
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks