What's new

Boston Acoustics VRC vs, VR-MC centre speaker (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Has anyone A/Bed these at home? I've got VR-M60s front, VR-M50s rear. I went with the VRC in order to afford the M60s but it's on layaway and I have the option to upgrade should the money become available. I'd like to know if the VRC matches well with the M60s up front. I A/Bed them in the store and found a subtle difference but it wasn't enough to sway me to the more expensive centre at the time.

Any thoughts?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I thought of that but am unable to find a single one for sale (and I cannot afford an extra pair just for the fun of it). Would you know of any(place/one) who sells them singly?

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I also would opt for some sort of VRM series. Me personally I have VR-950's up front and Im gonna go with the VRMC. Then hopefully upgrade my fronts and use the 950's as rears. I think. Havnt totally decided, I need to get my SVS first.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Paul,

The MR-MC should mate with your other VR-M speakers better. I don't remember who it was, or which forum, but I spoke with someone who tried both the VR-MC and a VR-M60 as a center and could not tell the difference. Whether or not that's the case for you or me, I don't know. Personally, I love the VR-MC, but I would also like to try the M60 as a center (and I'm too lazy to pull one down from my rears). I'm not in a position to buy in the near future, but PM me if you think in the future you'd like to split a pair.

-Robb

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
The Vrc is FINE for the vr-m fronts. The vr-m tweeter is the lynfield tweeter and the vrc is the new vr.h.o. tweeter. They are both aluminum dome tweeter. the only difference is the new vr.h.o. is more sensitive. This is not from me it is from Boston. All you should do is callibrate which will mean you will need to turn down the center speaker a bit on the receiver menu. The vrmc is of course the "better" center but I do not think you should worry too much. Also rumor has it boston is replacing the vrmc soon so if you wait you might be able to find a vrmc for cheaper when the are closed out. If you do not like the Vrc then the old vr series, vr910 and 920 has the lynfield tweeter so it will match well with your 60's. By the way, excellent choice for speakers!!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks all for the input. Unfortunately, my new receiver just blew up, again. I posted about this on the receiver forum but the short version is, I bought an Arcam AVR200, brought it home, it had a faulty circuit that kept blowing fuses. I returned it the next day but it took Arcam a week to get a replacement to my dealer. I got it last night and the same thing happened again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Although I loved the sound of the receiver I demoed and the two channel A65 integrated that my dealer loaned me while waiting for the second unit, I don't want to go through this hassle again. My dealer offered me either an Integra DTR6.4 (my second choice after the Arcam anyway) with an upgrade from the PV500 to PV900 at even trade or a DTR7.4 for my Arcam +100$. Either of these offers is more than fair as my dealer has been great throughout this mess. I'll probably go with the 6.4 and the upgraded sub.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Robb: I believe you and I exchanged a couple of emails about the VR-M60 vs the VR-MC. There may be some difference but it is slight. I am using the M60 as the center in my main system as I picked up a used pair of M50's for the setup in the living room and am using the VR-MC with them. The VR-M series is apparently going on closeout as my local dealer has the 60's marked down to $600 a pair. I may pick up a set and then I will have M60's in all 5 positions. I love the sound of them.

I would go with whatever you can get for the best price. I was lucky in finding a guy selling a single speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks