What's new

Boss (on Starz) - season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
If you have StarZ, you've already seen big segments of the premiere and more, as they keep running the highlight reel. I admit, this could be some great Friday programming. Kelsey Grammer as a Chicago Mayor who discovers he has a terminal illness.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The reviews are absolutely positive.

Slate: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/10/21/boss_with_kelsey_grammar_the_next_great_american_tv_show_.html

"Is this the next great TV Show?"

Salon: http://www.salon.com/2011/10/21/boss_is_kelsey_grammers_show_the_new_wire/

"The heir to 'The Wire' "

Cinema Blend: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Boss-Review-Kelsey-Grammer-Delivers-An-Outstanding-Performance-Starz-Drama-36225.html

"Fantastic"

Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/boss-tv-review-250296

A "Game Changer" for Starz

Screw that, Boss says. Politics as a triumphant idea might have been a great forum for Aaron Sorkin to write soliloquies about tough choices and moral righteousness, but Boss strips it down to the ugly truth. Nobody is happy unless they win at all costs, ethics and morality take a beating when you're trying to please constituents and stay elected, and people who seek power and then use it like a sword aren't halo-wearing types. Which, by the way, makes a great backbone for a series. Safinia has gone beyond the obvious (Chicago? That's like shooting fish in a barrel, right?) by sticking Grammer's Kane in a brilliant predicament right from the outset.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Now that it's aired:

Kelsey Grammer is flat out fantastic in this role. There are moments I thought it went wildly over the top, but so what? His performance was solid.

The scene where the "young gun" delivers his spiel and Grammer finally gets up and says "this f--- kid!" that was great stuff the "I've heard this stuff before, you're building a career intentionally to go far.."

The use of soundtrack was great.. like really great. Background music that just hit the right notes. Early ominous tones, then a slow building soundtrack that always followed the characters (For example, when Kane was with his wife, Tori Amos "Battle of Trees" played light in the background), but when they picked something, it followed those characters or relationship, and that was a great subtle touch.

One of the better setups I've seen in a while. I'm definitely in.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If that's the sexy librarian assistant, YES. I'm not sure what was going on with the daughter. She's a nun, works at a clinic, was she trying to score hard drugs? Might have been interesting if Kane had confided in her and she was risking it all to get his medicine. I'm not a big fan of the "seemingly good girl nun falling hard," but I don't even know if I understood it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I don't think she's a nun. I think she's a protestant priest who had a problem with addiction and is trying to stop. That's why she through it away. But yes, on the more librarian assistant ;)

This & Homeland are the two best new shows on the air this year (IMHO), I prefer homeland, but this is really good stuff.

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

If that's the sexy librarian assistant, YES. I'm not sure what was going on with the daughter. She's a nun, works at a clinic, was she trying to score hard drugs? Might have been interesting if Kane had confided in her and she was risking it all to get his medicine. I'm not a big fan of the "seemingly good girl nun falling hard," but I don't even know if I understood it.
/t/315519/starz-boss-premiere-october-21#post_3865094

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Whoever is scripting this show, it may be over the top, but it does have real forward movement on "what's going to happen?" I am now really wondering how the Governor's race is going to shake out.. I keep expecting our dirty librarian & treasurer's trysts to come to light

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im liking the show.

It took the third episode for me to realize all the naked women are in his head.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Salon & others are talking about emmy buzz. They are right; Grammer's performance here is one of the best of a male lead I have seen this season.

http://www.salon.com/2011/11/11/kelsey_grammers_boss_cables_greatest_performance/singleton/#comments

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm wondering what kind of job they are going to try and throw at the kid to get him to not run for Governor.. or to drop out. I can't see the governor having a really effective pitch there; I'm hoping the kid sticks it out. We'll have to see where that goes.

I loved the ending, where she speaks to her dad; the seeming realization that Tom may be headed down the same road - or is she the leak to the press?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think the kid is just trying to play the governor's olive branch and pulled the rug out from under him.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Very good episode highlighted by some really excellent scenes like the one mentioned above and when his wife confronted him.

Good stuff.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by JonZ

Very good episode highlighted by some really excellent scenes like the one mentioned above and when his wife confronted him.

Good stuff.

I did really like the scene with the farmer at his farm "look, even as governor, I wouldn't have control over this.. I know it sucks. That's about what I can tell you, the truth". He doesn't need the cameras. He's building a word of mouth buzz.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I am now completely unsure of where they go with this. Does the kid turn on Kane? If his end goal is the White House, going becoming Mayor of Chicago stops that dead. He has to know that. Meanwhile, is the offer too tempting to pass?
How does Kane get out of this, and who is the leak?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
And the race shifts.. Kane beats Round 1, but I'm not sure how it plays out... Kelsey Grammer has been great in this.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wouldn't that be the way to destroy his candidacy.. "I'm carrying your love child to prove you cheated on your wife.."

Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

Pretty horrifyingl scene at the end with alderman being buried alive.
So is Kitty preggers?
/t/315519/boss-on-starz-season-1-thread#post_3874300

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
My wife has been watching this series. I watched part of a recorded episode today. I didn't see enough to make any comment about the script or acting, but the cinematography almost gave me motion sickness. The almost constant panning of the camera - slowly in, slowly out, slowly left, right up, down and combinations thereof were too dizzying for me to continue watching. The extreme closeups were also annoying. I regret that I didn't have a chance to make an informed judgment on the series itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks