What's new

Bosom Buddies (1 Viewer)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Does Paramount plan on releasing this?It would make perfect sense for them to,seeing as how Tom Hanks got his start on BB,and has since gone on to become one of the biggest stars in Hollywood,today.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well if they did, it would probably be without the Billy Joel theme song (they'd probably use the different one that played on most syndicated versions).

So, a lot of people in another thread on this board probably wouldn't buy it.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am going to a convention on July 9 that Peter Scolari will be attending. I plan on asking if he has heard anything. I know Peter and Tom Hanks are still friends. Tom cast him in "That Thing You Do". I also had heard that Tom loved doing the show and is not embaressed by it. So that shouldn't be a reason to hold it up.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
You're right.Of the interviews I've seen of him,where Bosom Buddies is brought up,he smiles and says good things,about the show,and the people he worked with,on it.

Jerry R Colvin

Stunt Coordinator
Even though the theme song was "My Life" written by Billy Joel, the version used was sung by somebody else... Trust me, I was there when it was first broadcast and at my peak Billy Joel awareness.

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
The theme song was actually sung by the cast of the show. You can easily hear Tom Hanks singing the main vocals for the song. There were 2 versions used. The first one, which is the song itself, was used for the first 12 episodes. The rest of the series had a small introduction about the show itself, and then goes to a slightly "updated" version of the song. The show, of course, lasted 38 episodes. The syndicated versions that currently air on TBS (Saturdays, 6 and 6:30 AM ET) use the original intro.

The dubbed theme (which is featured on the VHS releases from the 90s) was used during the "mini marathon" on NBC in 1984. The dubbed song is "Shake Me Loose" by Stephanie Mills, and was actually made for the show (it's a vocal version of the end credits theme).

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I always thought of this as a show before it's time. I think it would be much more popular now.
Maybe they could revive it? :)

It would be great if they did Commentaries too. I have been wondering about this for a long time. Hope it comes soon.

I think Bosom Buddies holds up remarkably well after 25 years, especially in the rapport between Hanks and Scolari. I'd love to see both seasons released on DVD - complete and without syndication cuts. Commentaries would be my dream extra. Maybe then the show can get the following that it always deserved. And maybe then people won't just stare blankly when I regale them with selections from my endless supply of quotes from the show:

"A bird with a hat - a very powerful aphrodisiac."

"I'll cherish this gift for...as long as it lasts. Does anyone have 15 'D' batteries?"

"Could I have your name?"
"You could, but it would be an incredible coincidence."

"But we were gonna live on Cheetos and develop respiratory infections...!"

"I was quite the bohemian at Vassar."

"What do you think of this piece here?...mm-hmm...uh-huh...It's the flag of Japan!!!"

"Mint donut?"

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
This show was tremendously underrated. I think people wrote it off because it was produced by the Miller/Boyett team that did Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley and later went on to do Perfect Strangers, Full House and Family Matters. But because of the semi-improvisatory feel of it, the offbeat stories, and the terrific cast, Bosom Buddies was one of the most unpredictable and funny shows of its time. Seeing Hanks and Scolari play off each other and ad-lib and do weird bits of business is a joy, the kind of free and truly individual performing that you don't get in most of today's network sitcoms. Hanks is right to be proud of his work on this show.

The creator, Chris Thompson, went on to create another short-lived cult sitcom, Action.

So yes, I would buy this, and I hope I get a chance someday.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I so want Bosom Buddies out on DVD. I love this show! It truly is to this day underrated. I love the chemistry Tom and Peter had on the show, and I love that in real life they're best friends, and Tom has gotten Peter a role in alot of his movies.

Henry and Kip's banter on the show was one of the best parts of the show, the whole cast has such an amazing chemistry all around.

I don't know what Paramount is waiting on to release this show on DVD :angry:

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

:) Most likely right...Of course the show was much more than that. As already mentioned, the interplay between Hanks and Scolari was very good and they occasionally were quite innovative (one sequence in particular with 4 of the cast members talking at a table while we could also hear their inner thoughts).

The weakest part of the show was actually the humour based around the central concept of the guys dressing up as women (in order to live in a females only apartment complex). If I remember correctly, they shrank that angle as time went on...

Matt Man

Agent
Unfortunately we will all prolly have to wait until they turn Bosom Buddies in to some god awful movie remake then they will finally release the original on DVD to promote their bastardization movie. YAY 4 HOLLYWOOD:frowning:

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
considering they took an odd Jennifer Garner bomb and put it on DVD, and they're releasing Ned And Stacey solely to capitalize on Debra Messing and the comeback of Thomas Haden Church, is there any reason NOT to release Bosom Buddies on DVD? I mean, TOM HANKS!!!

One thing I think is kinda sad though is that because Tom's career has reached heights only a select few actors in Hollywood know (think Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson), people act like Peter Scolari was the untalented unknown second-banana. Granted, Hanks is a far bigger star, but I wouldn't necessarily say that Scolari is a nobody, due to Newhart.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Coming soon... Ice Cube and Cedric The Entertainer in "Bosom Buddiez"!:D

Sorry , couldn't resist with the joke! I used to love this show as a kid, I haven't seen it in 20 years, but I would probably check out at least season one.

Matt Man

Agent
Bosom Buddiez - LOL thats almost too good, just wait in a year you will be saying "They stole my idea!" :)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Well, I'll admit, I didn't watch the show when it was on, because it looked like a brainless piece of crap-slash-fluff jiggle show, a la THREE'S COMPANY. Soon after it was cancelled, though, I caught a few of the reruns and grew to love the show. It's very funny. If it comes out on DVD, I'll pounce on it.

Brady

Grip
They should rush this out to capitalize on Hanks involvement in the Da Vinci code.

I really don't care as far as extras are concerned, I'm not picky, I just want my faves on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks