What's new

Bose's new 1000 dollar DVD player system (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I'm not much of an electronics expert but is Bose's new system possible? It claims to be able to offer most 5.1 sound from just two speakers. Here's is the link for anyone who is interested. Sorry I don't know HTML very well.
Link Removed

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Now I'm not much of an electronics expert either but I don't think this is possible. I doubt you can hear discrete rear channels when no real rear speakers are present. It seems to me as though this is merely a price hiked version of those "3D sound" things that come on a lot of DVD players and don't give true immersive surround.
------------------
-Keith-

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
OHHHHH MY GODDDDDDD!!!!....
frown.gif

------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
*Outdated new pictures
due to recent upgrades!
**Equipment list current

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
...but best of all, your wife will love it! You will hate it, but the WIFE will love it! Those nights of sleeping on the couch are over...but do you want it to be? With the Bose DVD player and 2 speakers you can sleep on the couch and watch your favorite movies and listen to that 5 channel sound with just 2 speakers!
rolleyes.gif

------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like more of Bose's marketing drivel. My TV (a Mits 50" RPTV) did a decent job of making surround sound effects out of its two speakers. I was always pleasantly surprised by this. But it still doesn't compare with an actual 5.1 setup. I'm sure this is just a similar affect.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
my first double post
blush.gif

------------------
you lose it here and your in a world of hurt...
[Edited last by Michael Hein on October 01, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I was a bit skeptical about this system, but knowing that this is a "revolutionary advancement" according to the Bose web page, I think this may be my next upgrade. Time to start saving.
J

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Anyone who actually believe this will sound as good as a 5.1 system must be nuts... :)
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Didn't Pioneer come out with one speaker that does the same thing. Anyway if Bose only used it's power for good. Wireless 5.1 system might be good for somebody, not me but somebody.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

James Nguyen

Second Unit
Now, is it just me or does this system seem absolutely PUNY when put into a contextual photo of it all set up?
see:
vd_321.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't this just seem like a clock radio with a dvd player, detached speakers and a woofer? :)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
You know, it took me a minute or two to find those speakers in that photo. They look like they are as small as the TV speakers!
Uh FYI, it's NOT a woofer. It's Bose's patented state of the art Acoustimass module. :)

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah thats not bass, its Acoustimass!
I have 3 relatives with Bose systems, one even has dual acoustimass modules, they are such a joke.
"Enjoy the thunderous effects of pure, deep bass without audible distortion. Its source is almost impossible to localize, so you can hide it from view, and all the sound seems to come from the small speakers. Enjoy the performance and lifelike sound at all listening levels, even at low volumes."
There are so many things wrong with that statement I don't know where to start, hows about the beginning? Keep in mind this is just my pinion based upon 3 different bose installes (all costing atleast 2x as much as my current setup (Onkyo TX-DS595, 4x Paradigm Titan, CC-170, SA-WM40).
If you don't want to hear it, don't read further, but I find this thereputic after several hours of sitting in class.
"Enjoy the thunderous effects. . . ."
Those things are about as thunderous as a gnat fart, I mean seriously
". . .pure, deep bass without audible distortion."
Yeah sounds just like my system, oh, wait, I forgot to turn my sub on again. . .
deep bass must be anything below 200 Hz, because that seems to be what those things cover
". . .Its source is almost impossible to localize. . ."
Because when its playing actual subwoofer frequency sounds it makes next to no noise! The rest of the time? Yeah right, who are they trying to kid?
". . . so you can hide it from view. . ."
If you want your mid bass to sound like you stuffed it behind the couch. . .
". . .and all the sound seems to come from the small speakers."
'all the sound' being very important, because there isn't all that much, and anything under an absurdly high crossover seems to come from where ever you stuffed that acoustimas module "honey, the chair is talking to me again"
"Enjoy the performance and lifelike sound at all listening levels, even at low volumes."
Lifelike provided you are hard of hearing, all listening levels up to ref-25dB, because anyhing more and things start to distort like cheep radio shack speakers, and the little boxes start resonating like thier going to fly off the stands (or jump off the wall). And for the bit of truth in that whole statement 'low volumes' because at low volume, things sound ok, and the speakers are nice and small and out of the way and everyone is happy!

MichelA

Auditioning
Since we all know that many people do not like BOSE systems, there is no point in repeating that over and over again.
What would really help is to get a review from someone that actually heard this specific system.
Has anyone seen it in any of the stores? I saw it in an ad for Circuit City, but I do not know if they have it setup in the stores.
------------------
Michel in SF Bay, CA, USA

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I didn't go to Circuit City but I did the next best thing. I contacted Bose and asked them about the product. I asked them if the player had a component connection and the guy said no. He said it has an s-video and a composite connection. He went on to say that Bose sells a component adapter that you can plug into the composite connection to convert it to component. The sales guy said it was just as good as a genuine component connection. Is that true? He also said the system does not play DVD-audio and Bose will not support such a new format for several years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks