Here's my input...
I have a Bose AM3 system, it doesn't sound THAT bad... But
it sure ain't worth the money. I've torn it apart piece by
piece and noticed that the components are utter crap. It's
not the worst sound, however.
Bose is to speakers what AOL is to internet service. :D

EdNichols

Second Unit
What I don't understand is how Consumer Reports (whom i respect) can rate the Bose so high. I don't have the report in front of me but I think they rated the Acoustimass 3 the highest compared to Cambridge,JBL, and a couple other sat/sub systems. Supposedly the speakers are rated by their accuracy which I can't see how Bose could pass. Go figure. I too have listened to the Bose displays and as an uneducated consumer thought sounded good. Luckily I was too poor to buy them and had to shop around and read the forums and end up with an "off brand".(Energy)

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Energy is far from being an "off brand" they're a highly reputable company around the world and make a far better product than Bose could ever dream of making and actually wins real world awards not ones that the company makes up for advertising purposes. At any rate Energy was very good choice to make and I'm sure that you as I have been will be very happy with them for many years.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Jeremy,
I totally agree! I have Energy speakers and know they blow away Bose. What I meant by that was, anyone who has been bitten by the Bose marketing bug would not consider some speaker brand that they never heard of before. It wouldn't matter if I had Magnapans, Wilsons, or any other high dollar speaker. Some people are convinced that Bose is the best, period.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I think the best way to prove your point is to bring a Bose-lover at your place to listen to your gear. That's what I'm doing every time with all my pharmacists friends who own Bose and are getting all excited because owning them. I don't argue. I just invite them for wine and a little gathering at my place.
It's so nice to see their face go long, and the smile leaving their face after 2 minutes of listening.
And then, I go with the: "told you their is better speakers then Bose..." And then I hit the nail really hard with:" and I've paid alot less then you for this.."
Have a nice they all.
Never argue with a fool. Bring him over to show him who the fool is...:D :D :D :D

Levesque

Supporting Actor
No..I confess... I spent more! but my wife was looking over my shoulder when typing... Did'nt had the choice... was like a gun on my head...:D :D
You could be surprise to do the comparison.
I've paid 4500$ CDN (around 3000$ US) for Paradigm Studio-100(2) + Studio-40(2) + Studio-20(2) + Studio-CC + Servo-15 + X-30. So I think we are almost even here, or I've paid a little bit more. But not that much, for the difference in sound quality...
BTW, how much cost a "full-blown" Bose system? :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Bose's tendency to go to the courts, much like Monster, is my main peeve with the company. However in the CU case...
Bose Corp. v. Consumers Union of United States, Inc., 466 U.S. 485 (1984) (holding that in Consumer Reports' criticism of Bose products in its product evaluation, Bose is a public figure and therefore must prove by clear and convincing evidence that Consumer Reports published its comments with actual knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard of the truth in order to bring a libel action).
CU has been sued by a number of companies over the years. That hasn't stopped them from calling a spade a spade when an automotive vehicle has been shown to have a propensity to overturn.
BTW, that case went to the Supreme Court. CU won. Read about it here: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/script...=466&invol=485

RobWil

Supporting Actor
That hasn't stopped them from calling a spade a spade when an automotive vehicle has been shown to have a propensity to overturn.
I take it you're not an SUV owner. Good man! You never cease to amaze me with your common sense approach!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If I needed an SUV, I'd own one. Bose knows their market enormously well and caters to it. That earlier lawsuit had to do with CU's review of the 901 series.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The Marketing phenomenon of really, really, high price compared to the cost of material and manufacture is something that high-end audio actually shares with BOSE(cables anyone?). Somehow, BOSE has managed to convince people that a more expensive, inferior product is the best available for people who don't want a lot of equipment visible.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
My favorite Bose moment was when I was browsing the audio section at Frys.
--
The audio guy there told me "Prepare to be blown away, son"
--
I was pretty much like this:
:rolleyes
then this:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

and finally:
:laugh:

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
That's it, I'm modding my clock radio right now...

I should build a subwoofer for it using my old 100-watt plate amp. Then I'd be the only guy I know with a 100-watt clock radio.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
My brother used to be hypnotized by the Bose marketing, and loved the Bose book shelves he had until a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't not liking the sound that got him to replace them, it was that they were not magnetically shielded, and moving into another appartment with less space for the front of his home theater.
For the longest time, I had tried to tell him about how bad the Bose speakers were with little success. He was looking seriously at two Accoustmass Cubes and the Bass Module in the Bose store.
I asked the sales person why the Bass Module was not a subwoofer. He did not say "It is a subwoofer." He said it wasn't a subwoofer because instead of using one big driver, it uses smaller drivers pointed in different directions so that the sound reflects of many surfaces to make it hard to pinpoint where the sound is comming from. He even had to say that Bose did not make subwoofers.
Even my brother knows that bass by its very nature is not easy to pinpoint, and it is very suspect if a "bass" producing box has to fire all over the place to simulate that effect.
For some reason asking a Bose sales person that one question did what a long time of stating facts about Bose being disigned for the illusion of big pressence as opposed to accuracy could not.
If your frineds are taken in by Bose marketing, then getting that marketing to stumble will probably be more persuasive then anything you could say to them. Assuming the the sales person is not going to flat out lie about the products (which I think even Bose's massive legal team would have a hard time defending), getted that marketing to stumble is not that hard.
My brother now could not be happier with the pair of Boston Accoustics he purchased instead.
One more thing: my brother is actually very intelligent, and his thinking for a long time that Bose makes great products does not change that.

George Caronan

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone. Well, my cousin and her husband went to some hi-fi [?] store and demo'ed an all in one package with five small satellite cubes plus a passive [!] subwoofer. I really don't know the model name but it probably is one of those models that look like it belongs in a den and not a spacious living room. Well, apparently they are convinced that it is the best they've heard. Her husband liked the sound while my cousin thought it would be best for space saving. You know, I went along with it just to be civil. I thought that it would be fine for them considering they don't have the same standards I have plus they really don't want all that gear sticking out. They plan on mounting the cubes on the ceilings stuff like that. Still, I have this urge to tell them NOT TO DO IT. I have an Anthem AVM 20 V.2.1 mated with Parasound amps. Truth be told, I've never heard these Bose packages nor do I have the slightest curiosity to try. Is it all that if anyone has experienced it? Is it enough to convince anybody? Man, I feel like intervening 'cos I'll end up going there from time to time to subject myself to that gear. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Let me tell you how clueless and brain washed I once was. I too was first introduced into "high End" "direct reflective" audio and the amazing "bass module". I purchased a 3 channel bose setup in 1997 $900 at CC. I sincerely thought It was to die for, I was laughing at the morons buying those huge Polk speakers.

It wasn't until the Spring of 2001, actually contemplating an upgrade to my existing Bose setup with a more expensive counterpart, that an aquaintance allowed me to actually listen to his Polk RT55'S in his apartment. I was totally shocked by how different the sound was. It was night and day different and, at the time incomparable to my Bose system.

As fate would have it, my aquaintance at the time ran into some financial issues and had to sell his system, my gaurdian angle must of whispered to me, "buy the rt55's".
So, mostley out of charity I bought them thinking, ohh well these polks will work nicely as "REAR" channels in my Dolby pro Logic VHS/CD entertainment center.

HAHA, Im not joking I actually had them as rears for about a week, then a friend urged me to try them as fronts. Hesitant I did, and I want you all to know I shit a golden brick. The light in my mind clicked, and I was freakin amazed bv the sound coming from my crap sony prologic receiver.

Gentlemen, what then transpired is history, I sold those bose and havn't looked back. Those same RT55's are still featured in my front stage and thus my HT hobby was started.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I tout about home theater so much at work and to my family they listen when I talk. If I say Bose is bad they listen. :)
I gained their trust and confidence. I've yet to come across someone who is willing to argue with me, which almost leaves me hanging out dry at times. I'd like a good debate.
My uncle was looking to add surround in his new house for music. He said he was looking and ended his sentence with, ".. but I guess Bose is best."
I educated him, but never heard back from him. I've yet to see his house but will make a point to see if he did in fact get a sound setup. I hope he didn't waste his money, but I guess if he's happy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks