What's new

Bose Acoustimass System (1 Viewer)

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Don't use being in an apartment as your reason for buying Bose speakers. Just because you can't turn your system up to 11 doesn't mean you shouldn't have quality sound. Decent speakers will sound great at any volume. Just about everyone makes a sat/sub combo to compete with Bose these days; Deftech, Paradigm, Energy and I think SVS just got into the game. Spend some time browsing around the Speakers and Subwoofers section of this forum, you'll learn enough to make a wise purchase decision. In the meantime, find out if you can return that Bose setup.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I was thinking of what I can do to improve the situation and thought of something. My 42" Hitachi Plasma display has speakers, good speakers. I like them but they are stereo; 2 large vertical speakers on the left and right. It came to my mind to integrate them into my 5.1 audio system instead of their built-in stereo function. Anyway, I connected them as the B speakers to my Yamaha receiver and now I have 2 left and 2 right. I’m happy with the result.

Now I have a situation with the dialogs where I’m not 100% satisfied. Thought of few solutions.

1) Is it possible to route somehow a percent of the dialog to left and right?

2) Or I can get a separate long horizontal speaker for the center channel. If I get a center speaker, can I connect it directly to my Yamaha receiver instead of the Bose center or should I connect it to the Bose subwoofer first? Why the Bose speaker cables go first into the subwoofer?

3) The other solution I thought was to use the 2 speakers of the Plasma TV as center. Meaning connection both speakers to the one center input I have on my receiver. Can you connect 2 speakers to the same input on the receiver?

mylan

Screenwriter
No, it's never a good idea to try to use the T.V. speakers with a receivers' power. It will sound puny at the least and possibly damage your tv speakers. I've heard of people using their tv speakers as a center but were disappointed with the results:sound quality, surround effects steering, etc.
Yamaha makes a long speaker that fits under the tv and acts as a front left, right, and center speaker that you may pick up for $1,200 or so but I implore you to forget trying to "make something work" and get a true five speaker surround speaker system and connect to the Yamaha receiver. You will spend under a grand and be MUCH happier with the results, look on this forum and check out the new SVS 5.1 system with a killer sub for under a grand. Oh, and ditch the Bose system, sell it on E-Bay.

mylan

Screenwriter
Ok, you got me going here. I thought of something else. With a sleek plasma, there are many wall mountable speakers out there, look at the Definitive Technology Mythos system, also under a grand.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
The Mythos is not under a grand. The Gems (smallest ones) are $500/pr. and the matching center is $350. The Supercube III is $700.

mylan

Screenwriter
DOhhh! my bad, you are correct sir. Its the Def Tech Pro Cinema speaker system I was thinking of, But thanks for correcting me and not trying to help Sam with his Bose problem. :b

manojK

Auditioning
Hi All,

I am interested to buy Boss Speaker System .Which one i should buy BOSE AM10 II or BOSE AM6 ?
Thanks in ADV.

-Manoj

mylan

Screenwriter
Look ManoJk, we have already replied to a couple of your posts regarding Bose (Boss?) speakers. No one here will recommend them nor will we have them in our homes. They are overpriced and are not of the quality with which we seek. If you still wish to buy Bose, do so at your own risk.

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Hey steve,

I've had bose speakers for about 5 years. I purchased a 5.1 set from bjs or sams club for about 400$. (they're single cube) I really liked them at time because i lived in an apartment that was rather small so they fit well. At the time i was a real novice in home theater stuff. So i didn't even look at other speakers i just went with the name. They don't sound that bad. My biggest problem with them is they lack any real mid range. You just can't get a 2.5 inch woofer to do what an 8" one will do so it relies on the sub for alot of it. So my advice is that you check out other speakers first and if they still sound the best to you don't be afraid to buy em'. It's all about what sounds good to your ear not the forums.

LewB

Screenwriter
When I was shopping for my HT a few years ago, I managed to find a store where you could A/B test Bose speakers against the rest of the speakers they had for sale. This was a rare find indeed ! It took all of about 1 minute of listening to realize that the Bose sounded inferior to just about anything else this store had to offer. YMMV.

mylan

Screenwriter
John, thats what these forums are all about, educating people on what sounds best. You said yourself, " they lack any midrange" and "I didn't even look at other speakers, I just went with a name", and the worst comment you made was
"they don't sound that bad". Is this something you wish to reccomend to someone? There is a reason we trash Bose and you just reiforced it with your post.

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator
Mylan,

When i said they don't sound that bad ,all i meant was that a lot of people on these forums trash bose. That's all fine and well but i bet more than half of them haven't had a set in there house.A lot of people probably give there opinion on them because of what they read on the internet and such. Now don't get me wrong i am no fan of bose. I'm in the process of looking for new speakers now because i don't like them very much. There are people out there that love them . I was just trying to let him know that at the absolute minimum try them out if they are as bad as everyone claims they are he'll notice the difference.

mylan

Screenwriter
Well, it doesn't matter at all now. This thread is almost a year old and the original poster has long stopped reading. I wonder what he ended up with. Another poster from France picked up on it in November and again off we go. Yet another poster has asked about Bose on two different forums and has been given "the talk" on Bose both times. Its' as if he doesn't listen or is trying to find someone to say "yes, buy Bose".
Once and for all I wish people would research their home theater purchases so as to become informed and if they buy Bose, fine, its' their money, ears, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks