What's new

Bose 201 VS Bose Acoustimass 3 (1 Viewer)

kennethDA

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth
hello, Im stuck on weather i should get the Bose 201 direct/reflecting speakers or the Bose virtually invisible Acoustimass 3 system. i've only heard the 201's in a demo but i've never heard the Acoustimass's. If you've heard them both and can compare, may u tell me which one you'd prefer?
Thanks
-Ken

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have heard both and prefer the Acoustimass but other brand speakers should provide better sound at a lower price. If you just want small size and cost is of no concern, I think the Acoustimass is pretty good. The price is haywire compared to JBL, Infinity, Athena, and many other brands.

Chris

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'd prefer speakers from JBL, B&W, Mirage, Wharfedale, or just about any other company over anything manufactured by Bose.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Human hearing is most sensitive between 200Hz to 10kHz and BOSE AM-15 (tested MRSP back then was $1,399) was benchmarked by Tom Nousaine in Sound & Vision Magazine ...

BOSE AM-15 System MSRP $1,399
SATELLITES
Frequency Response:..... 280 Hz to 13.3 kHz ±10.5 dB
BASS MODULE
Frequency Response:.... 46 Hz to 202 Hz ±2.3 dB

So, it covers the most sensitive hearing area but not very smoothly based on the ±10.5 dB tolerance.

Note also that the Bose Bass Module highest frequency does not meet the Satellites lowest usable frequency, ... leaving a musical frequency (Black) HOLE!!!

----

Higher performance speakers will cover not only cover the most sensitive hearing range but go beyond that hearing range smoothly, within ±3.0 dB.

For EXAMPLE:
JBL NSP1 & JBL PB-10 powered-sub
Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right.......... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center........................ 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround................. 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
PB-10 subwoofer.............. 43 to 124 Hz ±2.1 dB

NOTE: The powered sub highest frequency meets the N-24s lowest frequency providing a smooth transition from the lower frequency on up.

So, the combined effective system frequency range for the JBL NSP1 & PB-10 is ...

43 to 18.9 kHz ±3.2 dB (up to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB)

Oh yeah, the JBL tested MSRP price was $866! (The JBL Venue Series replaces the JBL N-Series)

So, HT Forum members feel $1,399 for a low- to -mid-range (literally) frequency performing speakers is Way OverPriced, ... when compared for example, ... to the Full-Frequency Range (sounds like a "real theater" - quotes from Brent Butterworth for etown) MSRP $866 HT Speakers by JBL!!!

FYI: See my website "Are Bose Speakers Over Priced vs. Performance??"** to see the above Benchmarked Speaker Graphs.

**NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!

Phil

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Correct. This is really a choice between two of the worst possible options out there for the $.
But if, god forbid, you actually do choose one of these products or similar, I'd go with the 201s or something like that. At least they pretend to be fairly decent full-range speakers.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

Phil, where did you find the above specs (my brother is a BOSE disciple, who I am trying to get to see the light)?

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Has Bose doubled their marketing efforts as of late? Every time I log on here there are like four Bose topics going......enough to drive someone to drinking! :D

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
haha hopefully we've converted another...

Ken hasn't posted since however...so I'm a bit concerned...hopefully we didn't scare him away.

Ken, all the specs and what not can seem disorienting at times. What we're trying to show you is that you'll be able to hear every sound your content (cd, dvd, tv, w/e) outputs, and hear that sound in a better, more "full" experience, if you go with speakers that are not BOSE. In addition, you'll save money! So, the wallet, and your ears, will be happy!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This poster has started 3 threads requesting opinions about various Bose speakers.
That is the sum total of his contributions to the forum.

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
I had Bose 201. I paid 200 dollars for them. I saw some Polks smaller than the ones I bought and out perform them. They were almost a 100 dollars cheaper. nuff said

chuckg

Supporting Actor
I have a sneakly suspicion that this is marketing disguised as conversation.

Fortunateley, we are immune.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think folks are right about the shill thing. Just look closely at that post. It has improper capitalization, improper apostrophes, various instances of careless typing, several typical internet terms to cut time, yet it uses specific marketing terms such as "Bose 201 direct/reflecting speakers" and "Bose virtually invisible Acoustimass 3 system". I find it interesting it consistently doesn't capitalize "I" but always capitalizes "Bose".

This stuff steams me. Reporting it now. Hopefully this member can be banned and his posts removed.

EDIT: I just want to point out that when I posted this, I also checked the other posts by this person. They all involved Bose, ranging across the entire line from $150 models to 3K systems, and also seemed to have no interest in hearing any actual feedback. There was absolutely no other participation in the forum. I stand by my belief this is a shill.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
ELAN SLEAZEBAGGANO: You wanna buy some Bose Speakers?

OBI-WAN looks at him. He moves his fingers slightly.
OBI-WAN: You don't want to sell me Bose Speakers.

ELAN: I don't want to sell you Bose Speakers.

OBI-WAN moves his fingers.
OBI-WAN: You want to go home and rethink home theater.

ELAN: I want to go home and rethink home theater.

RickRO

Stunt Coordinator

Now John calm down.........breathe, in with the good out with the bad......now I'm sure you feel better don't you?

It is interesting that the thread author seems to have "left the building" so to speak. Some out there enjoy "stirring the pot" just to see what happens.

We here at HTF are better than that taking the high road and attempting to educate all who pass through these hallowed doors. Some that pass are just unteachable though!

Now onto mo bigger and mo better like Ascends and SVS's ;-)

Regards,

RickRO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks