What's new

Boris Karloff and Inner Sanctums Coming To DVD On September 19! (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Even though I already bought THE DEVIL COMMANDS and THE MAN WITH NINE LIVES separately, I'd gladly spring for them again if they were included in a COMPLETE COULMBIA BORIS KARLOFF COLLECTION. I'm a stickler for having it all in one neat package. Here are the Columbia films:

The Black Room (1935)
The Man They Could Not Hang (1939)
Before I Hang (1940)
The Man With Nine Lives (1940)
The Devil Commands (1941)
The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942) - with Peter Lorre

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm a little worried to see such a lack of interests over the Chaney set (not just here but everywhere). Universal owns a few bigger titles but this set has a "name" horror actor, which isn't the case for many other Universal horror films that have never been released to video. If a Chaney set doesn't sell I'm a little worried that those lesser known films might not even be considered for release.

Jon Baker

Second Unit

Sorry for the ignorance, but what are DVD-18's? I own that Bela Lugosi Collection but didn't seem to have a problem with them. Should I expect one?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

The DVD-18 technology has caused all sorts of problems for consumers. Movies may freeze, break up, not play, at any given point. Not everyone has had the problem and it varies from title to title. Sometimes the troublesome movie may play fine in one machine but suddenly be incompatible in another. So if a disc works well now, in future years your next player might not play the same DVD accurately. There have also been reports where people watched a disc twice, and they encountered problems the second time where they were trouble-free on their first viewing.

Bottom Line: Universal got many compalints, and now they've wised up and have abandoned this tricky format.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I agree... I don't understand why Universal hasn't decided to release better movies for this time of year--especially "The Uninvited" & "Island of Lost Souls"... I'm not really that interested in either their Karloff or Inner Sanctum collections--they're just low-grade B-movies. Though I'll be sure to pick up Sony's Karloff collection in October, which has a much better selection.

Then again, they just don't seem to be successful with their better (and should be popular) releases. I mean they screwed up their excellent Noir collection (since they apparently have abandoned it, even though Fox and Warners have successful Noir collections), and they abandoned what started off as an excellent Westerns collection (which I think is partially because they started throwing out mediocre movies into the series after the first couple of waves) and they couldn't even get a popular TV series like "Night Gallery" to sell enough to release Seasons 2 & 3 (which may be due to it being overpriced-$55 for 6 episodes & the pilot??)

Maybe they can jump ahead of the game & start releasing collections in the slimline cases like Warners has started to do and start off with a new Noir collection series with A-grade movies, then Westerns, then Horror, Comedy, Musicals, more Deanna Durbin, etc, all at a good price & decent marketing..

Users who are viewing this thread