What's new

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America (1 Viewer)

MattGuyOR

Stunt Coordinator
"I only say this to go on record so I can collect in a month - not to offend you nutzos that posted your admiration so far - I'll be back to collect."

If we're "nutzos" than you're an old stick in the mud. :)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
u guys watch borat w/conan o'brien? that was just aaaawesome. totally out of this world funny. it's almost surreal and like an extension of his time in NYC from the film =). it was just soo damned funny.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Yes, I admit that's probably true. My kids certainly agree with that assessment anyway!

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator
I think the part of the black prostitute coming to the dinner was staged. Not the dinner but just the role of the prostitute. Unless they could find a prostitute who was large and in charge. I think that part and the pam anderson were the only staged parts.

Also, how could he and his producer run naked through that convention without getting an indecent exposure charge? Perhaps they had a covering on their members?

Great movie, I hope the dvd release has tons of deleted and extended scenes.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
well, obviously, certain places were staged and almost forced. but the staged parts were played against real people and the real reactions are comic gold =).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I don't think this is going to fade fast, everyone I know of is talking about seeing the film again. about how they can't remember all the jokes and need to see it a few times. I imagin there'll be big repeat business for this film that a comedy really hasn't enjoyed in recent years.

If they hold the dvd until May they'll get a phenomenal second run, but Borat could easily be in first run through new years.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Heads up- Borat is on Jay Leno tonight (Nov 9).

I hadn't seen the character at all except for the ads, but the other day I was in a motel room that had no network channels, just cable, & HBO just happened to have an Ali G marathon, so I caught 8 episodes of it.

I hope the DVD has some stuff with Cohen out of character, since he apparently hardly ever appears as himself. (I assume his talk show appearances are as Borat.)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So which 2 of the 3 frat brothers in that lawsuit: Anthony, Justin or the super-duper misogynist David? Obvious they didn't read the release they signed at the time of filming.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
My wife wanted to see this film so last night we took a VERY rare drive to the movies on a Friday evening ($31.50 for only the two of us, which was the cost of admission plus one little snack each and a shared large soda!), and we had a great time with this film! I had no idea what to really expect and I thought it was as funny as could be! :D Even better, the entire theater was in hysterics and it helped make for a very entertaining night out. I loved the way the film was persistent in its comedy, never letting up for a second, and how it also was daring and crossed many lines. It seems like maybe there's finally a breakthrough coming as to what "may" be lampooned.
The wrestling scene in the hotel was hilarious.

I can't remember the last time I had so much fun with a crowd at a comedy at the movies, especially at night. And all you theater shunners ought to know that this was the way movies were expected to be viewed. Home video is no way to watch BORAT!

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
yeah, right on. Borat is the relief we needed ... its about time someone is out there telling it like it is.

and his appearance on Leno the other night was gold. Pretty much all new schticks.

and to get Martha Stewart and Leno talking about threesomes ... well his job was done.

America really needs to loosen up big time ...

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Finally got to see it tonight, sold out crowd at 8pm at a theatre that was showing it last week as well. It was so hard to hear, there was so much laughter. The audience really got into it too, not just with the laughing. As soon as he opened the door to the bed and breakfast, there was a big 'ooooooooo' coming from most of the audience.

Of the staged stuff, I laughed pretty hard at the bear in the icecream truck. Then the part with the kids running up to it and running away. So obvious, but still it was pretty funny. Then of course the subtle call back with the fridge and the bears head in it.

Overall great stuff, some parts were harder to watch than Jackass 2, but definitely worth seeing with a big audience.

And Al, doesn't look like you will be collecting. ;)

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen it yet but a note on Sacha Baron Cohen, a few days ago I watched a Daily Show interview with SBC, then a few times since I have read 'SBC doesn't do interviews out of character'.

Dug it up....

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I laughed my ass off, but I felt a little bad too. There's a lot of people that deserved what they had coming to them. But for the salespeople and businessmen, a sales a fucking sale. Can't really hold that against them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The film was #1 for the second week in a row, with $29 million this weekend ($64.8 million so far). So much for the EW story about Internet marketing not working.

David Dias

Stunt Coordinator
I went with my brother to watch this and we both laughed our butts off. Ironically I had to drag my brother to this movie, he had no desire to watch it. After the movie was over he was glad he listened to me.

Unfortunately, I missed Borat on Letterman, Leno, and Conan. I hope to god those clips will be on the DVD.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Call me crazy, but I found it less "offensive" than I had hoped. It's difficult to explain, but I think many of the groups featured in the movie were left off the hook. White males do not have the monopoly of prejudice, yet theirs were really the only ones exposed. I mean, you got to see homophobic and misogynist white guys, more than once. What you don't see, are racist black guys, or arab-hating jews, to name a few examples - the obvious exception being Borat's folks of course. Under the guise of groudbreaking offensiveness, the movie is still firmly rooted in the safety of making the most powerful segment of society the butt of the jokes.

Ultimately, Borat is far safer and politically correct than it appears. A truly un-PC film would have been labelled controversial in a heartbeat. The near universal praise for this one should have been my clue.

A fun time nonetheless.

--
H

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Well, Borat did insult and poke fun at the feminist group, and they were definitely not pleased.

I did feel that Cohen did pull his punches so to speak with the old Jewish couple at the bed and brakfast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks