What's new

Bootleg DVDs! (1 Viewer)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ebay won't do jack.
That's not always true.

I once had an auction of mine shut down when they thought I was selling a bootleg and it wasn't. They shut it down before even asking me if it was for real. Another seller who was selling the same thing probably reported it.

But the problem is most bootleggers only have 3 day auctions. By the time it is seen, and reported, and investigated it is over.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I once had an auction of mine shut down when they thought I was selling a bootleg and it wasn't.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
A strange thing -related somewhat-...

I bought a DVD off of Amazon.com (not marketplace, but good ol regular Amazon.com)... I got it in three days. The cover was color copies and the DVD had a white sticker label thingy and as far as I know a DVD-R (purplish color).

After thinking about it for a few minutes... I realized it wasn't a pirate/counterfeit/bootleg... but just some companies cheap way to make a buck with their own product... :frowning:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
You have to be certified. And I mean it's not worthwhiel for a dvd that costs $14, not that you pay $14.

And if the auction says it's a bootleg, eBay will shut it down. However, if it doesn't say and you receive a bootleg, they don't do anything.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I believe the policy was made with expensive items like jewelery in mind but then they made it apply to everything. The guy who runs the local pawn shop can do it at any rate.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Still, that article only seems to indicate that half.com will stop operating as a separate entity and website; the fixed-price sales will be folded into eBay and things should continue pretty much as before, just at a different URL.

H

Hank

I would like to get some of the OOP Bond DVD's but Ebay is infested with bootleg copies along with Amazon's Z Shops.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
This problem is only going to get worse because DVD burners are cheap and software to convert dual layer DVD discs to single layer(9GB to 4.7GB) discs is getting better and freely available. I made a copy of Toy Story(from a legitimate copy I bought) on a DVD+RW with free software and it looked fantastic, anamorphic etc.... This problem is going to get worse.
The availability of said software shouldn't increase the problem.

Anyone who would send you an obviously-counterfeit disc, when you had paid good money for what you thought would be the genuine factory article, would have no problem with sending you a blank disc or nothing at all.

The solution in all cases is to prosecute such sellers for fraud. If they are selling counterfeits, add prosecution for criminal copyright infringement. That ought to get their attention.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, but that's expensive and most people don't have the time or money to bother. As long as eBay and Half.com are getting their commission money, they don't really give a rat's pattootie.

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I have never got anything off half.com.. I mean c'mon 3,000,000 listings for Scarface (bootleg)? What sucks is that they are tied to those pricegrabbing search engines and half.com boots always come out lowest.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I reported to Ebay many months back someone selling the "Criterion From Russia With Love" DVD (an obvious bootleg) and I got no response. I wonder if I should have written Criterion.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have a legitamte version of Scarface that I've been thinking of selling on E-bay, but can't bring myself to do it because of all the boots that are on the site. How can I, as an honest person, expect to sell a disc with a crap transfer and crap audio when everyone else are selling boots advertised with anamorphic widescreen and dts sound?

The people who know that the "boot" specs are BS are the same ones who come on here, and know that a new release is rumored to be in development and would probably want to hold off on buying my crap legit disc, while the people who know nothing of the original release problems are going to be attracted to the bogus boot specs. A no win for me, hence I'm keeping my copy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks