What's new

Bookshelf speaker auditions (1 Viewer)

Keith G

Grip
Real Name
Keith
This weekend I held auditions for 2 sets of bookshelf speakers for my small home theater setup. I have decided to move my 15 year old Bose AM5 to the rear. I always thought that they sounded ok for TV and not very good for music but I hardly ever listen to music in the house. I narrowed my search down to 2 sets:

Paradigm Mini Monitor and PSB Image B25. I thought that the PSBs sounder fuller and the fact that they were almost $200 cheaper I think that I have made my mind up. I really wanted to go with the HTD level 2 but also wanted to hear them first.

Any Thoughts?? Any other suggestions that I should be listening to in the < $500 range?

Hogie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hogarth
During my long speaker upgrade/auditioning adventure, I took an opportunity to audition a pair of Axiom QS8 (Thanks, Peter!). The setup had the M22's up front. They sounded wonderful. If you can find someone in your area that's willing to let you hear some Axiom speakers, it's well worth your time. You can go to their forum: Axiom Message Boards and check out "hearing things" to find someone willing to help. They also have a 30 day in-home trial.
I have a friend that uses the Paradigm mini-monitors in his theater. I'm of the opinion that the Axiom M22 is a much more full sounding speaker.
I can also tell you, from years of experience with Bose, that you will notice a big difference with the upgrade. With that comes a serious timbre mismatch against the Bose, especially across the center channel. I didn't know what I was missing until I finished the entire speaker system upgrade. The difference is incredible.

Keith G

Grip
Real Name
Keith
I ended up going with the HTD Level II bookshelf and center from a member in the classified section. Every post that I read told me to listen to the speakers before making a decision which made me want to stay away from internet direct companies although HTD was highly recommended for an entry level set up like mine. I've been listening to Bose for 15 years so anything would be better than what I had. I was also very afraid to buy used speakers for fear that there would be a problem with them but the price was hard to pass up. I'm happy to report that I received them today and all is well. Thanks Mike!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks