What's new

Bookself Speakers for 800-1K (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Jeff,

Don't know if you're still with us here, but I think that a lot of people are suggesting that some of the best quality for the money speakers can be found at internet only dealers. The disadvantages of shopping this way are obvious. You don't get to audition them at a dealer and might have to pay return costs if you don't like them or they are in need of repair. Regarding the audition at a dealer, this is a pale comparison to living with a piece of equipment for a 30 day trial period, using ones own listening environment and equipment rather than relying on the dealer's show room and the equipment its hooked up to there.

I know that magazines quite frequently label products tested as, "competes with speakers costing twice as much" type rhetoric, but I believe this may well be true of some of the on-line only companies. They don't have to pay the distributers, nor does the dealer take a cut, which can range upwards of 50% at times. Those extra savings get passed on to the consumer. Take SVS, Axiom, GR Research, ACI, Rocket, etc. All of these companies enjoy excellent reputations for customer service and quality sound for the money. Many also are very stunning to look at.

I would suggest that you at least consider the option with the previso that you need to do your research very thoroughly before doing so. You also need to get a sense of which posters to lay your trust in. For instance, I respect and trust George's opinions because he is more than knowledgeable about his GR Research speakers. He has built his own from kits and keeps up with recent developments with the company. Obviously, his ears aren't mine though, but I believe we have similar tastes in speakers just from having read his posts. Anyway, that's where the 30 day trial period comes in. Oh, by the way George, if you too are here, this is danbry39 from HTGuide.

There's also the "cool" factor of being the only one you know that own that speaker and the fraternal feelings that are shared by others owning the same brand.

By the way, I'm not putting down the brands you can buy at brick and mortar stores, only suggesting that there are other options out there too.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Once again I’m in the position of agreeing with Curtis. Very fine post Dana.

I would never have believed that I would buy speakers from an internet-direct company. Now I don’t think that I’d do anything else. I checked out a lot of different products before buying, and while I would never say that I managed to A/B anything, I am extremely pleased with my choice—from an internet company.

My other top choices were also from internet companies.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"My "review" was a joke, Larry, laugh a little."

If I didn't think that you had stressed the French origins of one particular speaker for political reasons in the first place, Steve, I would be more inclined to laugh at your joke. If instead of expressing an anti-French bias, you are making fun of the IDEA of having such a bias, then I do indeed need to lighten up. Whatever the case may be I've had my say and will let the issue go.

Jeff_King

Grip
I decided to stay off this thread until the political debate cooled. Actually I buy a lot of things from Internet companies but I am wary of buying speakers. I want to at least listen to them once before I buy them, especially since this is the first step in a complete overhaul and I will need to buy a center that matches my fronts. I am taking all of the info in this threat in, while preparing to take the NY bar exam :angry: . I am planning on going to Canada and listening to the Par studio 20s (and other can brands) there then if the wow me and they give me a great deal, to compensate for my inability to return them, I will pick them up. If not I will look here and buy where i can have in home demos which I will sync with some Internet auditions, have to call up the credit cards so they don't think that someone lifted my card and went on a spending spree.

george king

Supporting Actor
Dana,

Still here. Great post, you said it better than I ever could. I agree that you have to be careful in shopping on the internet, but like you said, reading the posts, you can see what the good companies are. And indeed, the good companies have a reasonable return policy.

BTW, I am dying to hear your impressions of the Emeralds when you get them (even intial impressions). I was so close to getting them instead of the AV-1s.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks George...and Curtis and Lew,

Most definitely I'll post my impressions. Two more days...Two more days...Two more days...

Ah, but, of course there's that 60 hour break-in period. In a way, I wouldn't mind not liking them, because I'd love to try out the GR Rearch product. My wife is in love with the looks of GR AV/1 and AV/2 too. ;) I'll probably end up loving my Sapphires and Essence center channel though. There's always the issue of the magnetic shielding though.

As you probably are aware, Lex at HTGuide is interested in starting some new clubs over there. I wanted to start one where people could share their impressions/experiences with internet-only brands. Not just speakers, but companies like Outlaw too. I put my post in late and, so far, there hasn't been much response, but I thought it would be cool where all of us fraternal brothers (and hopefully sisters too) could sit around and chat about our systems.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

DanaA

Screenwriter
Before Doug (Lex) approves the new board, he wants to make sure there's a lot of traffic and that that traffic doesn't die down. So, if you're interested, direct those with their Ascends, Axioms, Rockets, SVS's, Hsu's, ACI's, GR Researches, etc. HERE and let's get the ball rowing.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
yup....strange though..it gave me the invalid username or password message...but it posted my post.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Email me if you have any more problems. I'll let Andrew, the administrator know, and he'll get you set up right.

george king

Supporting Actor
Dana,

I will direct people there, and I will head over to audiocircle and haramonic discord where GR research has dedicated boards.

As to the break in. If you get the Sonicaps upgrade in the crossovers (which I did), the break in is at least a 100 hours. I could easily hear differences in the sound over the first couple of days.

Let us know how it goes.

Steve_D

Second Unit
Well, my ACI Sapphires are still in their box :frowning: but I close on my house today and the movers come on Friday so I should have them in their break-in cycle by Sunday.

I did want to say the customer service I've received from Mike the owner of ACI has been unbelievable. I inquired about some custom things I wanted to have done, not really expecting much, next thing I know they are on the way, at a great price :)

This type of thing would have been impossible with a B&M brand. Think of it like the difference between buying high quality furniture, like Stickley, off the showroom floor, or having a high end shop custom make to your specs.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Will do George. ;)

Steve, looks like you're going to be quite busy for a while, unpacking and all. If it's convenient, you might want to set up your audio system first. That way you could not only be breaking in your new speakers, but you can be listening to music while you work. ;)

Congratulations on the new house and the new speakers.

Steve_D

Second Unit
Dana,

I've always unpacked the A/V system last, it's my reward for getting everything else done. Done the other way, I may have a great A/V system but never stop living out of boxes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks