What's new

BOOK REVIEW -- "RECLAIMING HISTORY: THE ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY" (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The following audio links provide access to several complete, uncut press conferences given by President John F. Kennedy, including his 64th and last conference as the 35th U.S. President, which took place eight days before his death.

These conferences display Kennedy's vast knowledge of the issues he was tackling each and every day, and serve as a fascinating portal back to the early 1960s:

==================================================

NOVEMBER 10, 1960 (JFK's first press conference after
beating Richard Nixon in the 1960 Presidential Election):

APRIL 21, 1961:

MAY 5, 1961:

JANUARY 31, 1962:

FEBRUARY 7, 1962:

FEBRUARY 14, 1962:

APRIL 11, 1962:

AUGUST 20, 1963:

NOVEMBER 14, 1963:
JFK'S LAST NEWS CONFERENCE

CLIPS FROM VARIOUS KENNEDY CONFERENCES:

===============================================

All of President Kennedy's press conferences can be read (word-for-word) at the JFK Library website. Here's a link to the text versions of the JFK press gatherings:

Press Conferences of President Kennedy - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

MORE JFK LIBRARY TALK:

Another interesting part of the John F. Kennedy Library website is the "White House Diary", which contains information about JFK's activities for every one of the 1,037 days he was Chief Executive of the United States.

If you click on "White House Diary" within the red toolbar on the following webpage, you'll get an "audio/visual" version of the "Diary", which includes many video and audio clips throughout the diary's pages:

The White House Diary - John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum

OTHER RELATED LINKS OF INTEREST:

Amazon.com: David Von Pein's review of John F. Kennedy Library and Museum (Margar...

Amazon.com: "JOHN F. KENNEDY: 35th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES"

Amazon.com: "FAMOUS DATES IN HISTORY: 11/22/63 -- THE JFK ASSASSINATION"

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/2017935-post.html

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/2919858-post.html

Historical Televison Events on DVD? - Home Theater Forum

JFK Material on DVD - Home Theater Forum

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/2017964-post.html

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
AN F.Y.I. ANNOUNCEMENT FOR KENNEDY FANS:

Today (June 27, 2008), an Internet-based distributor of CDs and DVDs, EarthStation1.com, released on DVD a very good 1964 feature motion picture about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy -- "FOUR DAYS IN NOVEMBER" -- which was nominated for a "Best Documentary" Oscar (it was beaten out by "Jacques Cousteau's World Without Sun").

The EarthStation DVD version of "Four Days" isn't a studio version (from MGM or UA), but it's still nice to be able to finally have a resource available with which to obtain this outstanding documentary film on the DVD format. And it makes me wonder if this film has fallen into the "public domain" realm somehow? Because I'm doubting that an established independent DVD/CD distributor (EarthStation1), which has been in business for more than 10 years, would willfully violate any copyright laws by producing an unauthorized version of this movie on DVD.

I wrote the following passage within Part 1 of my four-mile-long "Reclaiming History" book review. It seems fitting to repeat it here:

DVP: Before I move on to Chapter 2, I'd like to add another semi-related footnote to this top-notch "Four Days" chapter of VB's book by putting in a plug for another production titled "Four Days In November", that production being the 1964 motion picture which features the exact same title as the first chapter of Mr. Bugliosi's book.

In fact, I was somewhat expecting Vince to use portions of that exquisite "Four Days" documentary film (which is an excellent chronicle of the events surrounding JFK's death) as reference material throughout his book, but the film isn't mentioned at all in VB's book.

That Academy Award-nominated movie, which is generally based on the Warren Report, could have been used by author Bugliosi to cite various quotes from witnesses, including unique references to Johnny Brewer, Wesley Frazier, Linnie Mae Randle, and William Whaley. Each of those witnesses provided information and direct quotes during the movie's intriguing "re-created" scenes.

None of the above witnesses said anything in the movie that could be considered a bombshell or something strikingly different from their Warren Commission testimony, but their individual statements made on film could have been cited by Vince as an extra source of information to back up certain lone-assassin-leaning assertions.

One good example: The scene where cab driver Whaley says in the film that he positively dropped Oswald off at "Neely and North Beckley" (instead of "Neches") on the day of the assassination. In earlier statements, Whaley was confused about the street names, as he mixed up the two similar-sounding streets, "Neely" and "Neches".

In any event, even though the Richard Basehart-narrated documentary feature film "Four Days In November" isn't referred to in "Reclaiming History", I'd still recommend it very highly to people who want to take a two-hour visual tour of the sad events of November 1963. The film was released by MGM on VHS home video in 1988 and again in 2000, and it was also made available on DVD by EarthStation1.com in June 2008.

Much more information concerning that motion picture can be accessed by clicking the link below:

MOVIE/VHS VIDEO REVIEW: "FOUR DAYS IN NOVEMBER" (1964)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I rarely come into this subforum but I'm glad I did this week because of this wonderfully informative and enjoyable to read thread (not that the subject matter itself is in any way enjoyable).

Mr. VP - I salute you - you've contributed many a fine "personal review" to HTF and this one is by far the gold standard.

You might appreciate this...I had a high school social studies teacher who as part of his teachings told the class that JFK did not die in Dallas. As the story goes he was most certainly shot in Dallas but for reasons I can't remember was transported to some remote Island where he lingered for awhile before eventually passing away and being buried there. (Arlington is an empty grave.) This reportedly came to light when some magazine with a helicopter fleet managed to photograph a funeral there that was shrouded in secrecy. Naturally some key figures in this affair met with premature deaths.

Just thought you might like to know what kids were being taught in public schools circa 1983.

Steve

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

That story reminds me of a certain author named Brian David Andersen (to whom I think I referred somewhere within my 70-mile-long book review in this thread).

Anyway, Mr. Andersen has a JFK book on the (limited) market now. It's called "My God, I'm Hit!", and in the book Andersen theorizes that President Kennedy faked his own death (with the aid of wife Jackie). And--get this--a JFK "double" popped up out of a secret compartment inside the limousine on the way to the hospital in Dallas on 11/22/63 and traded places with the real JFK in the car. :laugh:

Now that's a bona fide kook, folks. :)

Incredibly, the book actually did get published (although I think it might have been only self-published by Andersen himself).

More on Andersen's idiocy HERE.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Hey, I'm only auditing this class so I'm exempt from all quizzes/tests :)

I spent a good part of an afternoon on the 4th reading this thread. I did go to some external links, but not all. However this thread is reference book into itself meaning readers can easily pop in and out and look at these citations at their leisure.

I do want to get the google group about conspiracy theories; that looks like a place to get a lot of (unintentional) laughs. People will believe what they want to believe is true, not what the evidence shows to be true.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Steve, you've perfectly described the mindset of the vast majority of the conspiracy theorists who post at the JFK Google forum.

There's one guy there who doesn't believe there was ANY bullet hole in the back of JFK's head on 11/22/63. None at all! Not even the small entry wound. That's the type of nonsense that exists out there in the world of make-believe conspiracies. And such nonsense will always continue to flourish, despite Mr. Bugliosi's monumental effort to quell it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

When could such a photo have been taken? When would the limo have stopped and left JFK in Jackie's lap with no one trying to save the President? And how did Kevin Costner end up there?

Weird painting... :confused:

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
David Von Pein, I have a question for you:

Are there any legitimate historians who subscribe to JFK conspiracy nonsense?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Excellent question, Philip. (Although, naturally, any answer to it is bound to be a bit of a subjective one, and could result in a bloody brawl in the nearest alley. :))

I suppose it's a matter of what a person considers "legitimate", and whom a person considers a bona fide "historian" as well. Many people think that authors Mark Lane, Jim Marrs, and Jim Fetzer are "legitimate historians" when it comes to the topic of John Kennedy's assassination. I'd, of course, disagree.

IMO, about as close as you can get to "legit" from a pro-conspiracy perspective in the JFK case is probably Josiah Thompson (a "first-generation" JFK author/researcher who penned the book "Six Seconds In Dallas").

And many people have very good things to say about the late Harold Weisberg too, with even Vince Bugliosi handing out several compliments for Mr. Weisberg in "Reclaiming History".

David Talbot (author of "Brothers") is another researcher who earns high marks from many people. I haven't read his book, but some people take it as the Holy Grail it seems, as it convinced them that Bobby Kennedy knew a lot more about his brother's murder than he ever let on.

BTW, Vince Bugliosi was interviewed by RFK's son (Bobby Kennedy Jr.) on July 12, 2008, regarding VB's new book about George W. Bush. A good interview too.*

* = I won't say another word about VB's Bush book. I consider that hot topic to be completely off limits here at HTF, and I don't want to get this thread closed down. Thank you. :)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
That is one looong review... I don't have the patience to read it all, but what was the killers motive? Was that discussed in the review?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

To add to Jeff Gatie's earthy (yet accurate) comments above:

"[Oswald's] attempt, just seven months [before JFK's murder], to kill Major General Edwin A. Walker clearly showed his propensity for murder, at least where his target was political. .... When we couple his capacity for violence with his deep hostility for people and institutions, there can be little question that Oswald was a ticking time bomb, and it was only a matter of time before something like the Kennedy assassination occurred. .... Remarkably, many major books on the assassination by Warren Commission critics and conspiracy theorists don't even mention Oswald's attempt to murder Walker. Not one word. ....

"If anyone ever had the psychological profile of a presidential assassin, it was Oswald. He not only had a propensity for violence, but was emotionally and psychologically unhinged. .... His alleged act was completely consistent with his personality."
-- Vincent T. Bugliosi; Pages 942 and 949 of "Reclaiming History" (c.2007)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks