What's new

Boo Hoo! My Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck goes in for repair tomorrow. :o( (1 Viewer)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear that you're having a bit of a problem with your md player. Philip, sorry to hear that you've had such bad luck with sony. I'm a big fan of md, own the sony mdsjb930. So far I've had no problems. I've had it for about a year now.

Jon

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Barton,

The 'JA555ES is an excellent deck, when it works of course. No design is perfect, but the 'JA555ES is solid and sounds incredible. I will definitely stick with it.

Kanwar,

I've never used the 'JB940, but I've had it's predecessor, the 'JB930, since June 2000, and it's performed flawlessly. As you can see here, Barton had a problem with his, but I wouldn't think that is common. Sony's JB MD decks have generally been very well regarded.

Corbin,

The Pioneer MJ-707D (or whatever the exact model number is) has been discontinued. In fact, Pioneer no longer makes any MD decks.

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Keith, and in case anyone asks, my deck was defective. It stoped recording after the fifth disk (that was three weeks after I bought it). So it was not because of a defective design. The 940 is very solid and very well constructed. Can't tell the difference with an actual ES model beside weight ;) of course there is something. It's a great deck, thank God and the dealer that I had it replaced.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., Barton. I would expect the 'JB940 to be similar in quality to the 'JB930, and I have never heard of problems with the 'JB930. Glad to hear you got it replaced so readily. The JB decks are an incredible value, but I did notice a significant improvement in moving from the 'JB930 to the 'JA555ES.

KrisM

Second Unit
As someone who worked for Sony in the past, I've learned a little about how they work and how their customers relate to their products. I was with Sony when Minidisc arrived in Canada and it did not sell very well at all. Every customer wanted cheaper prices. Sony eventually lowered the prices, but with lower prices, alot of the time quality comes down with it. As far as products that are out of warranty by a month, complaining to someone low in the company will do you no good. If you complain high enough and loud enough, Sony will take care of you. Its too bad that MD didn't catch on because it is a great format.

KrisM

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kris, I don't know how long ago you worked for Sony, but some of Sony's recent MD decks (from '99 on) represent the best they have ever made. I am talking about the 'JB930, 'JB940, 'JA20ES, 'JA333ES, and 'JA555ES. Sure, you can buy a 'JE470 for $180 USD, but Sony has typically offered products at widely varying price points and of widely varying quality. That said, I still feel the 'JA555ES is a first-rate MD deck. It is the best MD deck Sony has ever made. Hopefully the problem I had is a fluke.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The JA555ES is a first-rate MD deck. It is the best MD deck Sony has ever made.
Have you heard about the new MDS-JA75ES deck? I think the 333ES goes for $1100 list, the 555ES was for $1300, but this new one is $1995. The 20ES, 333ES, and 555ES came with Type R (4.5) ATRAC. The new JA75ES supposedly has something they call Type R Plus (or 5.0 ATRAC).
Just joshin'! :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Oh, come on, Kevin! If you had said MDS-JA777ES or MDS-JA9000ES, you might have had me going for a minute. ;)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The infamous JE510. Know all about it. There it sits on my audio rack collecting dust because of a number of problems. I do have Sony's portable MZ-R70 and think its quite decent. Hopefully, since I only purchased it 6 months ago, it won't be crapping out on me. However, it has worked flawlessly. I use it for portable, the home stereo and hook it up in the car, so it does get its fair share of hours.
However, I'm with Phillip on this one. With affordable MP3 players on the market now and 20 gig Nomad Jukeboxes on sale for reasonable prices (and of course still dropping) minidisc is going to go the way of the Dodo. Companies are slowly abandoning it, plain and simple. I was just recently wondering about what Denon had been up to with their minidisc players and it sounds like their done.
But I do agree that its a great format. For portable or in the car it's the cats ass. So many one hit wonders on one disc. KeithH, I was going to ask you about your player because you have always seemed very impressed, and I was looking into buying one of the best. My 2 players have both not impressed me with the sound for the serious music listening. In their defence, I bought into the format knowing that and wanting it just for the portable uses. I also know now that I don't have that great of units. Not that they're terrible (except the JE510-it is truly a bad machine) but just not wonderful. However, I won't be needing your advice (sorry:)) because, simply stated, I have decided against spending money on a "quality" player.
The good news is minidisc is very popular in Asia so at least I'll still probably be able to purchase blank discs in a few years. That is, of course, if my player still works

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, with the exception of the alignment problem with the drawer, the 'JA555ES is a really excellent. As with any other Sony product, the ES minidisc decks are significantly better than the mass-market (JE) models. If you can swing it, get a 'JA333ES (the 'JA555ES is no longer made). I have been intrigued by the MP3 decks with large hard drives, but I am not sure that they sound as good as the 'JA555ES or other ES minidisc decks. The sound quality of the ES decks coupled with the flexibility of the minidisc format is tought to beat.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Thanks for the insight Keith. I was thinking about going along that route but like I said I have decided against minidisc. I feel too much is happening out there right now with these other formats. IF I do buy another player, it would be a kick-ass portable one(does such a thing exist?). The portability of it and re-recording of tracks just isn't sweeter with anything else. However, I still prefer the sound of my Sony EJ-915 G-Protect. discman (although its a little on the bright side). But the truth is, there's nothing like grabbing a half dozen minidiscs and losing yourself in the Rockies :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Michael. Unfortunately, no portable minidisc player is going to be a kick-a$$ unit like an ES home deck. However, some portables out there are inexpensive, so if you decided to get the 'JA333ES for "real" listening at home, then you wouldn't have to spend much more to get a portable.

John Sturge

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, try what I did. Scrounge around for an Pioneer Elite Deck, and hopefully you should be set. Sony's dont do it for me. Especially since their a faceless coporation that doesn't care about its customers and followers.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
How about this for a quick turnaround? I just checked Sony's Service web site, and not only has my 'JA555ES deck been repaired, it was delivered to my office this morning. I'm off today, but you can bet I'll be running over there very shortly to get it. I only brought the 'JA555ES to Sony's Bristol, PA, facility last Wednesday, and seven work days later, it's back! Sony states 15 work days is typical for repair work to be completed. Hopefully they actually fixed the thing. Also, what do you think the chances are that I will get back the minidisc that was stuck in the deck? :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I said:
Hopefully they actually fixed the thing.
Let's put it this way:
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
So, I went to the office today to pick up the 'JA555ES. The first thing that struck me odd is that the box Sony used to ship the deck in is three times the size of the
Sony box the deck originally came in (which I have). The box Sony chose looked like it was for a computer monitor. I was immediately leery of the shipment of a minidisc deck in such a large box. What's more, there was a hole in the side of the box that I could fit three fingers through. When I stuck my fingers through the hole, I could feel the back panel of the 'JA555ES. So, it was readily apparent that Sony had not packed up the deck very well. :angry:
Allow me to back-up for a second. I live about an hour from the Bristol, PA, repair center, so I drove up there last week to drop off the 'JA555ES. I packed it up in the original box for the ride over. It was packed up exactly like the day I got it brand new. When I got to the repair center, the lady processing workorders made me take the deck out of the box so she could see the serial number. After she had taken down all relevant information, I started to pack up the deck since I knew they were not going to repair it right away. I figured it would be best to have it sit around in the original box. The lady told me that I would have to take the box back because they don't have room for boxes. Then, she told me that they would automatically ship the deck back to me when it was repaired. I said that I could easily pick it up, but she said they don't have storage space for repaired items, so they can only have people pick up certain TVs. Naturally, I asked her how they would pack up the deck if I were to take the original box, to which the lady said, "Don't worry. We'll pack it up better than that box." Hmmm...
I did everything I could to minimize the risk here. I wanted to pack the deck back up in the original box until it would be repaired, but they wouldn't allow it. I wanted to pick up the deck when it was repaired, but they wouldn't allow it. I wanted them to hold onto the original box for the deck for shipment, but they wouldn't allow it. :angry:
Anyway, I got the box home and unpacked it this afternoon. They wrapped the deck in a plastic bag and surrounded it with those silver foam pillows that a lot of shippers are using these days. There was room for the deck to slide around in the box. After removing some of the foam pillows, the first thing I noticed is that my minidisc was nowhere to be found. I figured they must have left it in the deck or they didn't ship it back to me. So, I plugged in the 'JA555ES and immediately tried to open the drawer. Instead of opening half-way and closing like before, the drawer opened about 90% and then closed automatically. So, they didn't completely fix the deck. I did notice that my minidisc was inside the player, and now that the drawer almost opened completely, I was able to remove the minidisc before the drawer closed. Still, the deck wasn't fixed properly. :angry:
It gets even better. After removing the minidisc, I noticed a dent on the left edge of the deck. That definitely wasn't there when I brought the deck in, I assure you. I was shocked. The dent is about a half-inch long on the edge, and it actually looks like a piece of aluminum from the front panel broke off because the entire length of the dent shows the color of aluminum. In other words, the black paint is missing. :angry:
Although the deck was packed very poorly, I do not think it was dented during shipment. I did not find a broken piece of the front panel in the box. It just looks like someone at Bristol banged the side of the deck into something hard. :angry:
Naturally, I called Sony customer service at this point and read them the riot act up and down for a good half-hour. Oh, I was mightily pi$$ed, and the customer service rep. noticed. She was very apologetic and said that the procedures at Bristol (not allowing me to re-pack the deck in the original box before leaving it, not allowing me to pick up the deck, and not keeping the original box for return shipping) were inexcusable. She said she would call Bristol and have someone from there call me. As this was at the end of the Bristol workday, I did not get a call today. I then spoke to someone else at Sony customer service, and I was told that the manager at Bristol would take all the information by phone and then send someone from UPS out to inspect the deck and the packing materials. Someone at Bristol will then have to look at the deck to determine the next course of action. Bristol will have to determine whether the deck can be repaired as new or whether they will have to cut me a check so I can get a new deck. The 'JA555ES is getting tough to find, so I don't think Sony is going to be able to get me a new one. I may have to "settle" for a 'JA333ES if my deck cannot be repaired as new.
You can bet I will be calling Sony by the end of next week if I don't get a call first. Had I been able to pick up the deck after it had been "repaired", I would have plugged it in right there to see what they had done with it. Had I seen the dent there and found that the drawer still did not work properly, I would have raised bloody murder right there. Thus far, Sony has totally f&3ked up. However, they still have a chance to rectify it. We'll see what happens. :angry:

Razvan V

Stunt Coordinator
Just another Sony Service Center horror story. I've dealt with the Sony people at the Sony Service Center in Irvine California and I can tell you that they are the most perfect idiots I have ever seen. Not to mention that their technicians are totally careless and incompetent.

Razvan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Razvan, at least this incompetence seems to be equally distributed among both coasts. It's amazing. They probably have the same people repairing $50 cordless phones and $1100 minidisc decks. Can you say, "Jack of all trades, master of none"?

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Wow Keith, that really sucks. All I can say is keep at it and try to get some kind of $ credit out of the situation.

I have read SO many Sony don't-give-a-crap stories that it just boggles the mind how that company maintains brand loyalty - but they do.

Maybe try hunting down an Elite MD on EBay.

Keep us apprised and Good Luck.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks