What's new

BOETTICHER/SCOTT SET (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited is taking pre-orders for the release of the Boetticher/Scott boxset (THE TALL T, COMANCHE STATION, BUCHANAN RIDES ALONE, DECISION AT SUNDOWN, RIDE LONESOME). Release date: 11/4.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Finally, my holy grail!

Thanks for posting this information. Hopefully, Ron will post an 'official' SPHE release announcement later this week, or maybe next Monday (in line with recent practices).

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yes it is SPHE putting this out. Commanche Station has been restored to 4K digital, and has been projected as such at various festivals.

The quality should be as good as it can possibly be for DVD.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
SRP $59.99 .

A bit pricier then their recent Hammer sets (which are an insane deal) but after discounts it'll come down to less than $10 per movie which is my SD DVD spending limit. :D

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

It sounds like they've put a lot of work into preserving these films, so I think a slightly higher price that usual is acceptable.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

They put a lot of work into the Hammer set, the films look fantastic. The thing is, it's nice to get really cheap DVDs (& we've all got used to that), but if it all gets too cheap then it's not worth it to the studios to put in any work into the releases.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yeah it's a catch 22 scenario.

Personally I wish they committed say 10% of the price to future preservation, and made you aware of that on the cover somewhere.

The crazy thing is when SPHE eventually release their classic DVDs in Australia they are often 50% less than the U.S. prices. They essentially give their expensive restorations away when they release them here.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Release date: 11/4
Winter Deep Discount 20% off sale: 11/?

At least we won't have to wait too long too long for the sale...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

It's different in England. Stuff comes out quite expensive, esp. Warner Sp.Ed. But you wait for 6-8 months & it always crashes down. The four disc "Gone With The Wind" set was released at £25, but I bought it about eight months later for £6! You just need patience, but there's not a lot of that around these days.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Has the pre-order page at Movies Unlimited been taken down? Last week, I could find the pre-order page by searching for any of the individual titles, such as 'Ride Lonesome'. However, as of today the searches for those titles only produce a list of similar-sounding titles.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter

Thanks for the tip; however - in using this approach, I no longer see a listing for the Boetticher/Scott set.

ted:r

Second Unit

I'm not quite sure I understand this. Yes, I understand the sentiment OK, but really, if they put a sticker on it saying 10% of the proceeds would go to buying Jaguars for themselves, it still wouldn't matter to me.

What I want is the DVD. What the Co.'s want is profit. I get what I want (without paying $100 per DVD of course) and I am happy.

And from a marketing perspective, I don't see how it would help. Would some person who doesn't read this forum (:frowning:) care where the proceeds were going? I sincerely doubt it.

For example: I purchase Criterion releases that cost more than most DVD's. I pay the premium because a) I want the movie first and foremost and; b) I realize they release movies that aren't going to sell in the millions, and they are a company and they want to make a profit. I don't think, picking an example out of a hat, "Rules Of The Game" would sell substantially more if it were out there for $9.99. I'm just ecstatic it is out there at all.

I don't think that Boetticher or Scott is a household name these days. I think that Sony has to maximize its profit based on the number of people who do know of Boetticher and Scott, those of us who care. I''m just deliriously happy that they are savvy enough (I hope) to want to do it.

Caveat: I'm in a position where I can afford DVDs (I bought the Ford on Fox, I will buy the Borzage/Murnau). If I were forced to be more discriminating in my choices due to affordability, I (or my wallet!) might hum a different tune.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I was hoping Ron might post a press release this morning; however, as we continue to anticipate the official press release, at least the box set has been confirmed for November 4th in the daily post at The Digital Bits (12:45 PM).

--- Quote ---

First up, Sony has set Good Times: The Complete Series (17 discs), Newsradio: The Complete Series (12 discs), Sanford and Son: The Complete Series (17 discs) and The Berenstain Bears: Christmas Tree for release on 10/28, followed by This Christmas (DVD and Blu-ray), When Did You Last See Your Father, Moscow Zero, Termination Point, I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (20 discs), an Awakenings/The Fisher King/The Survivors 3-pack and a Budd Boetticher box set (5 discs - includes The Tall T., Decision at Sundown, Buchanan Rides Alone, Ride Lonesome and Comanche Station) all on 11/4.

Mark VH

Second Unit

THAT's the connection I seemed to be missing. I knew Scorsese was recording a commentary track for the A Matter of Life and Death DVD - easily my most highly anticipated yet-to-be-released film - but this is beyond my wildest expectations. Oh please oh please let it come out before Christmas.

Regardless, can I get a woohoo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks