What's new

Bob Newhart Season 1 in April (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

This is a sad truth, which unfortunatly may just kill our hobby altogether if we are not careful..

:frowning:

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have seen disc one (both sides) of S1 so far. The source media was not that great for this show. There is so much moire showing up on Bob and Emily whenever they wore striped clothes.

Also , I found 1 music substitution already. The episode where they promised not to go to bed mad, they stayed up to watch a war movie. At the end, some music is played and it was different, even from syndicated version I have from 10 years ago on VHS. It was a WWII fanfare music and it was swapped for some non-descript stock music.

Otherwise, totally enjoyable to see this series on DVD, would recommend to everyone because the content is so good, completely worth it, one of the best comedies ever made! I will be buying the rest of the series when it comes out.

Darrel Lantz

Auditioning
I just checked and this is currently the No. 1 seller at Amazon! I think that should help some more classic series be released. I personally am much more likely to buy a season at the $19.99 to $29.99 price point. When it gets into the $30's and $40's I tend to think twice, but I definitely will pay more for hour long series than half hour.

Zongo

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I find it strange after watching the P-I-L-O-T, why would they have made this the rare pilot? Seems like this one should have been in syndication since it matches the continuity of the show. Who knows why they canned this re-shot pilot instead of using it. I've seen the original pilot so much (which has the actor who would later play Howard's brother (Gordon Bordon, the game warden who came back from Jordan!).

Can't wait until Season 3-4, the show really hit its peak. Season 5 had some good ones, but without Bob, some of those shows just coasted.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I just watched the first and second episodes last night, and they looked good to me....far better than the awful faded 16mm prints that used to show up in syndication.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I just got this set, and I've skimmed some of the episodes, and it looks good, about as good as it can look for a show with its dated color palette; not as good as MTM, but far from unwatchable.

But did they cut the "Hello" parts from the beginning of some of the episodes?

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any info about when the rest of the Bob Newhart Show may be release? I think seasons 3 and 4 were the best. And will there more releases from the MTM catalog of shows? Any word from Fox? I think right now Paramount is doing a better job of getting there shows out there on the market, so Fox had better start catching up.
I mean, it seems to me that it took forever for the Bob Newhart Show to be released and it took almost 3 years for MTM Season 2 to be released-way too long IMO. Well, if anyone can find any info, that would be great!!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
What about Lou Grant?

One thing about the BNS season 1 set is a constant rainbow moire that appears on most people's clothes and cloth things like curtains. Is that a film or video artifact? It probably the only downside for me in this otherwise great set.

Seasons 3-4 are good. The opening titles change in those seasons, where instead of going home, Bob is going to work instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks