What's new

Bob Newhart Season 1 in April (1 Viewer)

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
This is one of my all time favorite shows ever!
It'll be nice to actually have a adult comedy with whining major characters. Hearing Raymond whine and Jim Belushi whine about not having enough sex gets old.
This show and Taxi season 2 will be welcomed additions to my dvd library!
I like "The Bob Newhart Show" better than "Newhart", I Just like the characters more.
Bob, Howard, Jerry, Emily and Carol are like old friends.
And not to forget Jack Riley!
:D

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Another huge laugh in TBNS came when "Dave Death" (as I believe he was credited) appeared in the elevator in "Death Be My Destiny." That may be my favorite sight gag from the series, and it was perfectly set up by Bob.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
One of my favorite gags is when Howard discovers the "Self Tossing Salad" with that beaker of mercury!
-Poof!-

And "over the river and through the woods" when the guys get drunk on thanksgiving. aka "The Moo Goo Tai-Pan Episode"!

"You know that you're at a bad party when Eliot Carlin is the happiest guy in the room."

I could quote the entre episode, don't worry I won't.
:D

Tressa Rozan

Auditioning
Thanks Fox for putting The Bob Newhart Show out on DVD!! I will be sure to buy it on its release date. Also put out season 2 of The Mary Tyler Moore Show on this date. If you noticed on Amazon.com when TMTMS went on sale it ranked in the 300s for number of sells as opposed to 2,000, like it was at the origninal price. Market Mary in the same manner as TBNS!!

Tressa Rozan

Auditioning
I am very pleased that The Bob Newhart Show is coming out on DVD. I will absolutely buy it the day it comes out. Also, I agree with another fan of this site who says season 2 of TMTMS should come out the same day as Bob. They should put the rest of Mary on double sided disks at a lower price point. Did you see on Amazon that when they slashed TMTMS season DVD by 50% its sales rank went from like 2,000th place up to 300. Plus, more people are aware of TV on DVD now than in 2002. Bring Bob and Mary together on May 24th. Thanks!

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
DVD File now has its review of the Bob Newhart Show Season One DVD. I'm fairly new here, and thus am not permitted to paste the URL, but the review is easy to find from DVD File's web site. The reviewer says the picture quality is surprisingly good. Further, as the reviewer makes no notation that the episodes are cut, we can probably assume they are complete rather than the 22-minute versions which ran on TV Land.

Eric_Bee

Stunt Coordinator
More encouraging news - the dvdtown website reviewed the Bob Newhart Season One DVD April 1st, and declared that "the picture quality is every bit as good as Season One of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."

The reviewer also notes the total of the DVDs to be 630 minutes, which equates to 26 and 1/4 minutes per episode, thus meaning the episodes seem to be complete. (This shouldn't even be an issue of course, but in light of the Alf, Too Close for Comfort and Make Room for Daddy travesties, one can never be sure.)

Pavan_P

Second Unit
We at SitcomsOnline.com have done a review, too. It should be up soon. One bad thing: the unaired pilot is not part of this set after all.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I think that I may enjoy watching this show, although I've only seen bits & pieces of it.I'll probably pick it up regardles. I really don't want Fox to give up on the MTM material, because I still want to see WKRP released, as well as possibly Rhoda.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Uncertain about the unaired pilot, which the review says was not there. Do they mean unaired as in not aired in network broadcast? There is a pilot episode that has been shown in syndication. It must be a pilot because both Bob and Jerry are both pyschologists. It is also the episode that Jerry finds out he is adopted.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
Is it true that season 1 is on 3 double-sided double layered discs? This would equal 4 episodes per side, which really doesn't make sense for them to release the show on dual layered discs, since 4 episodes would easliy fit on single layered double-sided discs without loss of quality. There are no extras either, so this is interesting. Can someone confirm this?

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Yes, it's 3 double-sided discs, 4 episodes per side. And no, I don't know why Fox is choosing to do it this way.

Yes, the unaired pilot is the one where Bob and Jerry are both psychologists. Some scenes from that pilot, where Bob and Emily try to adopt a child, were incorporated into a first-season episode (called, with deliberate irony, "P-I-L-O-T") mixed with new footage of Bob at the office.

Here's a new interview with Bob Newhart where he mentions that he wasn't asked to provide special features:

I really think Fox ought to get its act together when it comes to at least contacting people and telling them that they're releasing their shows. (It's not just Fox, of course; remember that "NewsRadio" was all set to be released without extras until Paul Simms found out about it.)

BTW, Newhart often tells that story about the episode where Emily was supposed to get pregnant, but what he usually leaves out is the fact that that was supposed to be the series finale, which is why they wrote it that way. Newhart decided at the last minute to come back for a sixth and final season, and he insisted (understandably) that there would be no baby for the sixth season, so the writers rewrote that script as a dream.

But in a way it's disappointing that Newhart was so intransigent about not allowing Emily and Bob to have a baby, because Emily's wish to have a child was an underlying theme of a lot of episodes -- that's why she was so into teaching, because she loved children -- and it would have given more closure to the show if they had finally allowed her to have a child.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I remember that Pilot show, which has Louise Lasser as the adoption agent asking them questions about their lives. Jerry also asks Bob if he wants to take the "afternoon off" with a wink. He also puts his fist through Bob's wall, a stunt he would repeat later when Jerry helps his brother played by Raul Julia (they both put their fist through Bob's door).
The last season had its ups and downs without Newhart playing only a scene in many episodes at an airport. The best ones include finally seeing Peterson's wife Doris in real life (great casting) and Bob dressed as Zorro. Others Bob couseling a group of parolees at a prison (2 different good episodes).

The role of Dave Death was played by show runner Tom Patchett, while Jay Tarses in another show played a tuxedo waiter at a Mensa dinner.

Moore Maxx

Stunt Coordinator
Very glad to see this coming out on DVD.

Does anyone know what season/episode it was that Bob and Emily were held at gunpoint in there apartment by a patient of Bobs, and while they have there hands up against the wall, Howard walks in, says "Oh my gosh" and runs over to the wall to join them? Bob then introduces Howard to the gunman and Howard says something like, "I'm sorry I can't shake your hand but I'm busy holding up this wall". Then as if it couldn't get any funnier, at the end of the episode Bob is turning off the lights to go to bed and the camera pans across to Howard still up against the wall and Howard yells "Its starting to go!"

First time I saw that episode I was laughing for hours. Just thinking about it now is making me laugh.

CLASSIC

Maxx

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
As of this writing, Season 1 of The Bob Newhart Show is # 9 on Amazon's list of top-selling DVDs. Way to go, Bob. Now, Fox, will you let him do some extras for later seasons?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks