What's new

BluRay / Receiver Question (1 Viewer)

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I am looking into Bluray for Christamas and have some concerns.

I currently have an older Philips HDTV with only 2 component inputs. I plan on getting a new HK 254 receiver this fall to replace my aging AVR.

I plan on running all my inputs through the Receiver via HDMI, and then out to my TV via component cables but have this question:

i have seen things like this "selectable 720p/1080i/1080p video upconversion for DVD (upconverted video available through HDMI output only) and
720p / 1080i output through component only on discs lacking the copy-protection flag"

Do I have to worry about these two issues when going from the Blu through the AVR? Do I have to wait for a HDMI equipped TV to enjoy Blu?:frowning:

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you want to watch it in 1080p, you probably will.
I'm also not too sure that the receiver will down convert, from HDMI to component.

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
You need something like this HDfury

if you don't have a vga input on your tv, then get a vga to component cable and you should be set. not cheap, but you don't have a choice if you want to watch high def on your tv.

Bluzman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Ed Moxley is correct when he surmises that current AVRs won't downconvert HDMI (digital) to component video (analog).

Buckethead78

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Can I just set the Blu-Ray to output in 1080p for now, until I get a new display? Or will the AVR always up-convert?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks