What's new

Blueray Cases are smaller than DVD Cases. (1 Viewer)

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
This may be a little late but I finally had a chance to hold a Blueray case in my hands. I can't believe after all these years I finally got my wish of a smaller case!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
They are exactly the size of HD DVD cases. Difference: HD DVD cases are red, Blu-ray cases are blue, and the edges of HD DVD cases are more rounded.

Cees

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Norm,

Yes, I know. BD-cases are smaller than most DVD cases. That's what you posted. I added to that, that HD DVD cases are smaller too. Not just the BD-cases.

Cees

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i hope there will be some variation to the cases.
i really like the ones for the sd million dollar baby and cinderella man spec editions.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I wonder why they chose the current size. They could have gone CD size.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Probably because there's always that perception that some people have that 'expensive' items should come in 'sizeable' packages. Although this mindset is changing amongst the general public, it is still prevalent to a degree.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I don't like the HD-DVD or Blu-Ray cases at all.

I much prefer the standard dvd case size. All that "extra" room is to protect the disc and I like the bigger graphics that can fit on a standard amaray than the new hd/bluray cases.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I do like the little feet on the HD DVD cases; I have yet to see a Blu-Ray one so I don't know if they also have the feet.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
So you like all that room so the disc can slide around, when it gets loose during shipping?:rolleyes

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Mark,

No they don't if the BD case I have (Terminator 2) is representative for the whole format. BD-cases have less rounded edges and no "feet".

I like those too. Nice detail.

Cees

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I like the HD-DVD cases being so small and thin because I am running out of shelf space. This will indeed help to prolong the purchase of another bookshelf to hold my DVD's/HD-DVD's and frankly, my girlfriend wouldn't allow another bookshelf in the family room anyways LOL. :D

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I love the size of Blu-ray and HD-DVD cases, but I really dislike the wide strip along the top of the case with the format logo. Packaging is such a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but doesn't anyone else hate this like I do?

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder

Could you elaborate more on why the Blu-Ray cases are WAY better considering they're basically the same size, almost the same shape (HD-DVD cases being more rounder and having feet) and both have their logo at the top?

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

Doesn't ever really happen to me. And I do prefer the extra room to none if someone steps or puts weight on the case. *smash*

Plus, there are those stupid banners on top. Ghey. Ugh! Why would anyone want them to be any smaller than this? Like a jewel case? Hell no!

Considering that these are running about $30-40 I'd like a quality case with nice cover art.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

A perfect example of why they still make BOTH chocolate AND vanilla. There's a bunch of us that have been converting our entire collections over to slim cases...just to free up shelf space. Slim cases are fully half-the-width of regular DVD cases. While bigger cases might seem nicer, the space savings are huge.

A similar discussion is taking place right now in SD software re: the 3rd Warner Film Noir Collection being released in slim cases. It looks as if the industry is transitioning to embrace the slimmer cases...at least for multi-disc sets.

It would also be an obvious boon to the retail industry...just as we have been seeing boxes for PC software start to shrink in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks