What's new

Bluejeans and M1000 monsters . . . worth the difference in $?? (1 Viewer)

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
Alright . . . I've narrowed my component cable options down to two. These will be an upgrade to my current Monster 2's, in case anyone wants to know. The first is the Monster M1000's, which I can get a sweet deal on through employee accommodation. Regularly a 2m set is 200 bucks, but I can get it for 80. On the other hand, for a 6 foot component from blue jeans, it's 44.95. I'm running these cables from a Denon DVD-1600 to (what will soon be) a Mitsubishi ws-65313. From what I've been reading Bluejeans has an excellent reputation for quality and bang for the buck. I'm also aware that with Monster you do pay a premium for the name. The 40 dollar difference isn't that big of a deal, especially since they're 200 dollar cables, and if they're better quality than Bluejeans I'm more than willing to spend it, but of course if Bluejeans is just as good, why waste the money. I just don't want to buy one and not the other not knowing how much of the difference is in the name. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Brandon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Let me ask you this: can you get the electrical specs for the Monsters? Easy for the Blue Jeans. Blue Jeans component video cables were also rated a 99 by DVD Etc an issue or two ago.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If those were my choices, I'd opt for the Blue Jeans stuff. As far as those being $200 cables, they are no more worth $200 than is a watch that's sold for $7.95 but has a $125 sticker on them. Let's get real here now!

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Get real, Chu.
Those Monster Cables are well-built w/ "enough" solid science behind them.
Why don't you explain to me why you are criticizing them?
Is is b/c you can't find their specs?.. b/c then you'd be prejudging them.

*Refers to post above

I don't edit my posts later

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
You must be selling them Adil and the science of making a video cable able to pass signals from a DVD is not all that difficult. It sure as hell isn't a $200 cable now. Like I said, if those were my two choices, there's no question which way I'd go.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
It is very well known that Monster has exhorbitant markups on their cables. A mom and pop joint like Blue Jeans will beat them every time on quality and performance for cost. And if Monster did have absolute faith in their product, why make it so hard to compare them to other manufacturers? (I.e., by making it so difficult to get the specs for them.)

MikeTz

Stunt Coordinator
People will get religious over cables. I seriously doubt you could tell the difference between the two cables.

Bluejeans are made with a good shield, low capacitance, low loss, and their electrical specs are given on the site. Monster is made with good shielding and who knows what else, they won't publish their electrical specs (neither would I if they were no better then the inexpensive Belden cable bluejeans uses).

Blujeans makes excellent interconnect cables using Belden or Canare cable (both are excellent) and high quality connectors. They ship quickly and have great customer service. I recommend them.

MT

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I seriously doubt you could tell the difference between the two cables.
Guess what - this largely depends upon the "Sensitivity" of your video system. Which of these systems might show you a difference:

System A: A 19" tube TV being fed from a CATV "Digital" box

System B: A 50" RPTV being fed from a Sat receiver

System C: A 50" HDTV being fed from a Sat or CATV HDTV box

Of course, System C is the most sensitive and you are most likely to notice a difference between cables.

Yet, many people grow up with System A and then forever defend the idea that "Cables dont make a difference". Not true, but you cannot convince people that modern HDTV's are much different than the television they grew up with. It IS different. But without specs, you are left with "..I did not see any difference, therefore there was no difference".

Brandon: what type of equipment are you hooking up? Without this information, we cannot give you a honest opinion. So we would have to fall back to the cheapest option: custom cables that consist of: Canare RCA plugs and either Canare or Belden brand coax.

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

Not to sound smart, but I DID say I'm hooking up a Denon DVD-1600 to a Mitsu ws-65313, or a 73411 or 73513, depending on if I can find a deal on either of the 73's.

Brandon

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
One thing to note about the Monster Video 3 stuff is that it is backed by the ISF now... which in my opinion adds some security of quality to the product.
I am too very interested in seeing some specs on the different products though :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's nice to get the ISF stamp of approval but $200? At least buy me dinner when you screw me like that!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I tend to think that audio and digital audio cables don't matter much. But I remember when the mass market started getting into progressive scan DVD players and component video hookups to TVs. (Not *that* long ago. :) ) I remember too many people saying that in that case, there definately were differences between cables. And one brand that I remember everyone raving about: Canare. I went with Belden, just coz that's what Blue Jeans recommends, but they also offer Canare cable too.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Is the ISF seal of approval as worthless as the THX seal of approval?
:rolleyes:ISF seal of approval means quite a bit to me. The THX seal only means squat to me for dvds. For everything else I'll stand by their products.

Aren't we all forgetting this guy gets the cables for $80 and not $200? So arguing over whether these cables are worth $200 is just worthless.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's nice to get the ISF stamp of approval but $200? At least buy me dinner when you screw me like that!
Chu, I don't have a dog in this fight, but you are, without a doubt, one of the truly great members of this forum!

Have you thought about applying for work with the AudioCritic? They exist mostly to debunk all the voo-doo and malarky that permeates the Hi-Fi hobby. I know of no one else on this forum that so relentlessly battles the frauds and charlatans of the cable industry as you do.

I picture you right along side Peter Axcel, Tom Nousaine and David Rich blowing holes in all the BS that passes for science.

As for your quote, the phrase I most often use in this case is, "I don't like getting f*cked without getting kissed", but your choice is much more family friendly!

Keep up the good fight!

BGL

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Chu,
Email them and find out.

They typically only license a certain group of folks who are willing to go thru their training. To compare them to THX is faulty at best.
. The Monster Cable Silver Video M1000V is the first consumer electronics product that meets the ISF standards for impedance, chroma delay, and frequency response for both Data Grade and Composite video specifications. It is the first ISF licensed video cable product.

That is what is said on their site. That doesn't say anything with regards to specs that you are looking to expose but feel free to ask though I'm not quite certain they will give it to you. Since Joe Kane and the ISF crew's calibration disc and training is the central aspect of what's considered accurate in the video world, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. After all I doubt its their fault that Monster charges what it does although the manufacturing list of whos ISF certified at this time involves companies who products aren't exactly cheap. THX isn't in this league at all.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'll find the specs (if I can) and start another thread. Actually I just wanted the dinner.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
I emailed Monster last week for specs on Video 2, 3, the Silver stuff and the THX Ultra's....
still waiting for a response :D

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Shane, why the "rolly eyes" icon? As if my question were somehow not a legitimate one. You go on to stress how ISF is not the same as THX, yet you don't have a clue what their criteria is, and one of the cables they certify won't give out the specs. Gee wonder why. You also mention THX is worthless for DVDs but fine for everything else. Got news for ya, there are theatres certified by THX that blow, and audio components certified by THX that don't compare to non-certified components. You may be correct about ISF, but you don't have the facts to back it up, so please don't pretend that you do. From all you know it could be no better than a THX certification.

- Cryo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks