What's new

Blue Underground's Blu !! (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Blue Underground sells more obscure titles than Criterion and in lesser quantities, yet they're releasing on BD.

So what the hell is taking Criterion?

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Well someone from Criterion unofficially said that when BD has reached a certain level of market saturation that they would jump aboard. Odd that Blue Underground would beat them to it considering it's a much bigger gamble for them.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
It would be awesome to see some Hammer films come to Blu-ray Disc, but it probably isn't wise to get my hopes up.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

All due respect, but this thread is not about Criterion. So don´t hijact it, please.

Great news! BU is (was) one of the best companies when it comes to Euro cult/horror/exploitation/etc, so bring it on. :) Only thing is, that I have zillion of their SD DVD-titles, so this means double-dipping.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Indeed. I now realized that BU owns several Hammer-titles (from "Anchor Bay" catalog). Then they´ve most of the Argento-films, Romero, etc.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Fuck Criterion. They're a bunch of pussies. :P

As for BU, very cool. Their Hammer titles, Spaghetti Westerns and the Dario Argento titles are must haves for me.

I'd be surprised if Suspiria isn't one of the first titles on Blu.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
I can't think of many BU titles that WOULDN'T be a must own for me in Blu-Ray.

Any Argento, Hammer, giallo, Castelinni ... my list goes on. And I have to say, I would go nuts if The Prowler was one of their first releases!

At any rate, this is absolutely stellar news ... bring it on BU!

EricKA

Stunt Coordinator
Great!!!!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

I'll take FINAL COUNTDOWN on BLU!!!!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

:D

Well, seriously, I love Criterion (take some time, and they´ll also release some Blu-ray-titles), but even those guys will be envious as hell if "Suspiria" will be released on 1080p.. ;)

But hey, did Weinstein co. acquired also "Suspiria" (along with "El Cid", "Madadayo" and some other titles) quite recently? Am I mistaken?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, the Weinstein Company does own Suspiria now. I assume that other Argento titles that Blue Underground had like The Bird With The Crystal Plummage, The Cat O' Nine Tails, Deep Red, etc. are still theirs though.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
Considering the poor returns on the movies the Weinstein company has released, they'll probably be out of business soon.

;)

Then someone else who will actually release films can buy them.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

1408 and HALLOWEEN both did quite well at the box office for the Weinstein Company this past year, and CLERKS II did pretty darn well the previous year, especially given its budget ($5-million and it grossed around $25-million theatrically in the U.S. alone).

Vincent

troy evans

Screenwriter
"Q", "The Black Cat", "House by the Cemetary" and "Final Countdown" I would buy immediatly and many others shortly after. Oh yeah, throw Argento's "Opera" as a first buy as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks