What's new

Blu-ray Wish List, Year by Year (1 Viewer)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
What great posters. Thanks again Jim K. I don't think I'd ever seen that one for Rope. It shows how much they were playing up Hitchcock as a celebrity director, even then....

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
1947 Daisy Kenyan The Egg and I Great Expectations Kiss of Death Nightmare Alley Out of the Past The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
1948 Red River Key Largo Act of Violence Call Northside 777 Fort Apache I Remember Mama (a great George Stevens film. One of my favorites) The Naked City (I've never seen this one, but I've heard enough about it to probably buy it on Blu) Road House The Street with no Name Yellow Sky

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
1949 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_in_film I said at the beginning we'd go to 1950--and so we are almost done. Many thanks to all of those who have posted these great lists. And double thanks to those who have put up some of the amazing poster art from this very productive 25 year period in motion picture history. I have a lot to watch that I realize I'm only going to see on dvd or netflix instant. I've been so spoiled by blu-ray that it's hard to go back to low rez stuff. But for these oldies that are also goldies it's sometimes worth it to abandon my beloved blu-rays, at least once in a while... Again, many thanks, Ben

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by benbess

What great posters. Thanks again Jim K. I don't think I'd ever seen that one for Rope. It shows how much they were playing up Hitchcock as a celebrity director, even then....
No problem Ben. Happy to find others that also enjoy classic movie poster art.

Originally Posted by Chas in CT [url=/t/316905/blu-ray-wish-list-year-by-year/120#post_3884858]

I don't think I've ever seen that particular Rope poster. Gorgeous!

Yes I also really like that Rope poster

Originally Posted by benbess [url=/t/316905/blu-ray-wish-list-year-by-year/120#post_3885025]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_in_film

I said at the beginning we'd go to 1950--and so we are almost done. Many thanks to all of those who have posted these great lists. And double thanks to those who have put up some of the amazing poster art from this very productive 25 year period in motion picture history. I have a lot to watch that I realize I'm only going to see on dvd or netflix instant. I've been so spoiled by blu-ray that it's hard to go back to low rez stuff. But for these oldies that are also goldies it's sometimes worth it to abandon my beloved blu-rays, at least once in a while...

Again, many thanks, Ben

Thanks for starting this thread Ben, it's been fun. If it's all the same I'll probably keep going in this thread posting up a new year each day up through the 20th century. I've got hundreds more poster art samples I've collected and nothing else of use to do with them and there's too many fabulous post 1950 movies that are deserving of a high definition disc release.

[url=https://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/]

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
1949:

In the Good Old Summertime

On the Town

Take Me Out to the BallGame

Neptune's Daughter

The Heiress

Battleground

Champion

The Window

A Letter to Three Wives

Adam's Rib

The Barkleys of Broadway

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

The Inspector General

Come to the Stable

White Heat

So Dear to My Heart

Little Women

The Adventures of Don Juan

Mighty Joe Young

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
1949 My Love Has Been Burning Beyond the Forest The Set-Up Thieves' Highway Thirst Criss Cross The Heiress Border Incident Too Late for Tears Late Spring

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Jim_K said:
No problem Ben.  Happy to find others that also enjoy classic movie poster art.... Thanks for starting this thread Ben, it's been fun.  If it's all the same I'll probably keep going in this thread posting up a new year each day up through the 20th century.  I've got hundreds more poster art samples I've collected and nothing else of use to do with them and there's too many fabulous post 1950 movies that are deserving of a high definition disc release.
Jim: That would be great if you would take it over starting in 1950. We've all really loved the fabulous poster art you've been sharing with us, and it's great to hear that you will keep it going for a while. Many thanks! Ben

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950_in_film in keeping with Ben's format. I use IMDB so if anyone wants me to post that link also, let me know and I will

Notable Blu-ray releases = ? I own no 1950 film on BD and strangely I can't think of one that has been released on the format to date, but I have to be missing something.

Announced for Blu-ray release this year: Harvey (US)

Wish list (my top picks in no order but lumped together by genre):

Dominated by some great Noir/Crime Thrillers but also a breakout year for the "Adult" Western

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Thanks for these great posters! Wonderful stuff. Broken Arrow is a fine revisionist Western. There was an HD master up at netflix a while ago and it looked great. This should come to blu... All About Eve is already out, and is a knock out film about the sometimes sordid behind the scenes stuff of show biz. Has an almost Twilight Zone like ending, imho....Sunset Blvd is an immortal classic along the same lines. Unfortunately I think the negative was destroyed long ago....

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sunset Boulevard is shown on Film4HD in the UK and looks excellent at 1080i; similarly Winchester '73 crops up on Sky Classics HD and is quite spectacular.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
1949 A Letter to Three Wives Sands of Iwo Jima Battleground The Inspector General Kind Hearts and Coronets On the Town She Wore a Yellow Ribbon Whiskey Galore White Heat

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
1950 Annie Get Your Gun Sunset Boulevard The Asphalt Jungle Broken Arrow The Gunfighter Panic in the Streets Rio Grande Where the Sidewalk Ends Winchester 73

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
My 1950 list:

Sunset Boulevard

The Asphalt Jungle

Panic in the Streets

Stage Fright

Born Yesterday

Father of the Bride

Annie Get Your Gun

Summer Stock

Three Little Words

Broken Arrow

The Gunfighter

King Solomon's Mines

The Toast of New Orleans

Cinderella

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I remember Sunset Blvd being rumored for BD release each of the past few years so maybe there's hope. I'm pretty sure we'll see Rashomon from Criterion & Cinderella from Disney in the not too distant future. Not so hopeful about the rest unfortunately.

Good catch on All About Eve, I knew there had to be something I missed for a BD release that year.

A breakout year for the Sci-fi genre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_in_film

Notable Blu-ray releases:

This U.K. release I still need to pick up,I read that it's Region A compatible

Announced for Blu-ray release this year: ?

Wish list:

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Most of these are probably repeats of what's already been posted. I should also note that I'm just posting stuff I would definitely buy if done right. There are other great movies from these years, but I wouldn't necessarily purchase a Blu-Ray. I use Criticker as a guide. 1950 The Asphalt Jungle Rashomon The Furies Night and the City One Way Street Where the Sidewalk Ends Los Olvidados Quicksand Edge of Doom No Way Out The Breaking Point Mystery Street Side Street Union Station Woman on the Run Gun Crazy No Man of Her Own Panic in the Streets 1951 The Browning Version Miss Julie Early Summer The 13th Letter Meshi The Mob Strangers on a Train

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks