What's new

Blu-Ray: Sony pricing for non back catalogue titles & artwork for Lions Gate releases (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Sony looked to be pricing below HD-DVD with their back catalogue titles being $1 cheaper and almost $2 delaer cost but they've now announced Underworld: Evolution at $38.95 list price & a dealer cost just under that of Lions Gate's Crash & Lord Of War.

I guess HD-DVD will be similare when Warner's eventually announce a current title. So all those who thought the new formats were gonna cost a buck or 2 more than the equivalent DVD can think again.

On another note, DVD Times ran THIS article last week with artwork for the Sony Blu-Ray Discs, well here's a taste of some of the artowrk from Lions Gate:-

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
Well, you can't judge long term pricing by the first year. Initially, due to the limited number of players that will be available, premium pricing will be a must if the studios are to turn a profit. Down the road, prices will be much more reasonable once a few million players are in people's homes.

Once these formats street, we'll see if either camp is going to lower prices to drive thier format. Theoretically competition between the formats should lead to more reasonable pricing for the end consumer. If one of the formats starts to take an obvious lead, I'd bet that prices will start to drop dramatically. Neither format can afford to let the other take a commanding lead or it's probably over.

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
www.dvdempire.com already has there new title Blu Ray movies at 27.27 for Lord of War and Crash, as well as T-2,Punisher and Saw at 19.45 to 20.87.

There not known for being the cheapest either....so I would say that at least the catalog titles already seem like they will be reasonable.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

I think this is also Sony having a little dig at HD-DVD, as even though the HD-DVD discs will be encoded with 1080p video, the initial batch of players will only output 1080i.

Blu-Ray players should output 1080p video from day one. Legal issues notwithstanding, Sony probably wanted to put "Beyond HD-DVD" on the packaging instead ;)

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
I wish they'd use the damn poster for Lord of War. It looks soo much better than the horrible covers they have right now for the SD release.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Well at least we can assume that LG will use the proper aspect ratio for Lord Of War since they quietly (and without offering an exchange program) have sent out correctec copies to retailers.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what Lion's Gate considers to be "HD Audio." Will they be uncompressed LPCM like Sony's first releases (no word on resolution) or will they use DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD? I hope they don't think lossy compression is HD Audio.

Will they be BD25 or BD50 discs?

Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks