What's new

Blu Ray rumors about The Dark Knight release (1 Viewer)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
A question for those who have seen DK in Imax. Do the 2.35:1 segments fill the screen from edge to edge? (obviously not top and bottom) When I saw Attack of the Clones at the Imax it didn't fully fill the screen to the edges.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Yeah that screen is so huge and you sit so close its sometimes hard to tell.

Doug

Med

Stunt Coordinator
Although I like the idea of viewing the film with the IMAX footage in its original ratio I'd prefer if this was done via seamless branching on the Blu-ray giving the option to watch the film's IMAX presentation or the theatrical 2.35:1 version, if only to stop the "why's the picture changing like that?" questions coming from the family!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I saw the dark knight in imax.. it does switch back and fourth.. but you are so involved with the movie that you don't notice the change until it has already happened. I would not worry too much about it.

Jacob

Med

Stunt Coordinator

I didn't get to see the IMAX presentation, but I can imagine it was breathtaking and fairly overwhelming on such huge screens.

My point is, I doubt it will have the same effect on home viewing and the changing ratio may be a little off putting for certain folk. It would be good to have the option to view both presentations, that's all. Isn't that one of the things Blu-ray is supposed to be about...offering multiple choices as well as optimum pic/sound quality?

But no matter, this will still be a pre-order for me as it's one of the films of the year IMHO.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
if you have the bluray edition of batman begins you get a sneak peek at the first 6 minutes of dark knight in imax. .even if they do the imax edition its will be less size wise then the imax.. unless you have a really big tv set. I have a nice 47 inch.. and its fine.

Jacob

Med

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Blu-ray of Batman Begins and have watched the 6 min opening of The Dark Knight numerous times via my projector on my 8 foot wide screen...and it is stunning!

I say again, I personally have no problem whatsoever with the Blu-ray being presented this way, but I do know people (with much smaller screens/TV's) who will think it's a little odd! So why can't Blu live up to what it promised and present a truly versatile, optimum & ultimate viewing experience and offer mulitple choices to us punters?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
According to the American Cinematographer article, the majority of THE DARK KNIGHT IMAX footage was cropped to 2.35:1 by doing a "center slice", matting an equal amount off the top and bottom. I'm sure some shots might have been repositioned up-and-down, but at least the majority weren't, at least according to the AC article. Hopefully, Nolan will make sure that the "opened up" IMAX shots on the DK BD will have the 35mm 2.35:1 image area properly centered. Since the 1.78:1 aspect ratio of HD gives him some room to play with the original 1.43:1 IMAX image with regards to the vertical framing of those shots, this shouldn't be too hard.

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

This is actually a great idea. You can choose to view "The Blu-ray IMAX experience", or the standard, 2.35:1 throughout version that was released to most theaters.

Vincent

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am willing to bet that if there is a big push on Blu-ray this Christmas then Batman: The Dark Knight will be released. The movie was a huge hit and is making tons of cash IMHO it would be a smart move to release it in time for the holiday season.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
:confused:

There's a Blu-ray release, no question about it. The director has specifically mentioned it. The chance of that release being after Christmas is so infinitesimal to be essentially impossible. From what I hear, the only question is to release the week of Black Friday or slightly later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks