What's new

Blu ray players are all the same? (1 Viewer)

John Hibberd

Auditioning
Hi guys, new here so please be gentle. I have just bought myself a 65 inch Samsung and was really impressed with the quality until I noticed areas of contrast on the upper left of the screen. I have called a TV repairs place and they reckon it is because I am playing a $100 blu ray player through a $4500 TV. I have a Toshiba player and the repairer said that it would be sending noise to the TV. He "guaranteed" that if I spent $500+ on a blu ray player the areas of contrast would disappear.

Is this correct or is he giving me dud advice?

JOHN

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is not supposed to be any difference between BDs themselves played in any BD player.Everything else...different story.And what do you mean "you see contrast"?That is not a phrase anybody knows/uses to talk about a display issue.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have yet to see qualitative proof that any Bluray player provides any superior or worse picture or sound than any other. Features, speed (loading speed, UI responsiveness), connectivity, UI and UX are all debatable and vary wildly, but not picture or sound quality.

John Hibberd

Auditioning
In the top left of the screen (about 4 inches in) there are "bars" about 6 inches long. About three of them. They are particularly noticeable when I am a playing a movie that is quite light i.e. Oblivion. I will try and get a pic but I am on vacation for two weeks as from Saturday. The "bars" can only be seen when the TV is connected to the Blu ray player and not on terrestrial TV.

JOHN

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
John,
I just checked black bars on Samsung LCD... Tcon board.
Sam, if it was that, wouldn't it show up with ANY source? He says it's fine with TV.John, before I returned the TV(big hassle) I would try a new cable from Blu-ray to TV. Are you using an HDMI cable from player directly to TV?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Technically yes, the Tcom board should be all sources, but...it could be that BD(and the fact it is 1080P) is making it noticeable.

It could simply be that is it light bleed from a bad glue job. Edge-lit LCD are prone to that.

John Hibberd

Auditioning
20131205_153511.jpg

20131205_153549.jpg

I managed to borrow a friends Blu ray player and still have the bars. I have taken a couple of pics so that you can see what I am on about.

JOHN

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
It sure seems to be the TV then. My only other thought is did you check each HDMI input on the TV? Do they all show the problem?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, that looks like a defective TV.

Great sale on the Panasonic 65" plasma's. Now you can get a plasma and never have to worry about what mode to put the TV in, or what feature to turn off...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks