1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu Ray Player as connection point?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SoundHound, Jan 16, 2014.

1. SoundHound

SoundHound Member

Karl
    Hi, Im new to the picture& audio world and I have a few questions.

Is it possible to buy a Blu Ray Player and use it as a connection point to my ps4, ps3, tv-box, and speakers and then hook it up to the TV, since my TV only has 2 HDMI outputs and no audio outputs.

So I dont need to go behind the Tv and change HDMI all the time.

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    No. A Blu-ray player doesn't do that.

The simplest solution is to use an HDMI switch like this. It has a remote for switching inputs and will allow you to connect all your devices to the switch, then run one HDMI from the switch output to your TV.

What are these "speakers" you mention? If they are connected to your TV directly, then you're getting stereo only, no real surround sound. The HDMI switch won't solve that problem - to really get the best audio performance from your devices, you need something more capable - an Audio/Video Receiver.

AVRs are intended to serve as the hub of your system - connect all your sources to the receiver, connect your speakers (assuming they are "real" speakers and not powered computer speakers) to the receiver, and connect the receiver HDMI out to your TV. The AVR then provides the highest quality audio and video possible for all your sources.

3. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Premium
    Supporter

Keith Plucker
    As Jason mentioned, you will need to get an HDMI switcher or an AVR. If you are interested in a receiver, you might check out accessories4less.com. They carry factory refurbished gear and usually have some good deals.

-Keith

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    There is also the DVDO.It would help, immensely, if you had just told us what you had...so our advice wasn't blind-folded dart throwing.

5. SoundHound

SoundHound Member

Karl
    Thanks for the replies guys!
    Im buying the Logitech z906 speakers to connect to my TV. But my TV has only 2 HDMI outputs and no audio outputs, so Im planning on using a optical sound cable from speakers directly to PS4.
    I thought that while im at it, I might as well buy a cheap Blu-Ray to compensate for the lack of HDMI outputs, but that wont work as you said ;)

6. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    I would get this instead. Better speakers, better connectivity, better performance...

Also, if you have a PS3/4 you don't really need a Blu-ray player...

7. SoundHound

SoundHound Member

Karl
    Sick price xD
    But I live in Norway and everything is 2x as expensive here and the Onkyo brand often needs to be imported witch adds alot of $$ to the price ;(

8. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    Ah, you may want to indicate your location within your HTF profile (then it will show up alongside your name on all your posts). I think most of the membership here is US-based, so that's the assumption made if there are no other indicators.

Regardless, the basic idea remains - a computer speaker system like that Logitech is more often than not a stopgap solution. There are only 3 digital connections (two optical and 1 coaxial) and they can't provide the highest quality audio from your Blu-ray source (you need HDMI for that). Also, it's not very powerful, so if you have a medium to large-sized room, you will quickly want "more" and it won't be able to provide the performance you want.

Amazon has many options available, too - there are pre-packaged systems from Denon and Yamaha in addition to Onkyo that provide a much better starting point for a home theater/surround sound system.

9. SoundHound

SoundHound Member

Karl
    Location added and thanks for the help ;)
    Sadly, I cant order from Amazon because they do not ship electronics here and on all international orders there are 25% fee + 35 to 175$ fee. The speaker system is for my bedroom/gaming room so its not too big. I´ll give z906 a chance and if I don´t like it, i will return it and try to get a hold of a Onkyo/Yamaha system.

EDIT: If I bought a HDMI switch with Digital audio output, could I use that to get picture & sound to my TV with the speakers? Like this one http://amzn.to/1dYspu5

10. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Well-Known Member

Brian McHale
    That ought to work.

11. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton
    The only possible gotcha with the switch (and I'm not 100% certain of this) is that when you connect a TV to the signal chain, any audio that is pulled off of the HDMI may be downmixed to 2.0 stereo. I seem to recall reading that in a thread or two around here as a caveat to using switches in this manner, but can't seem to locate any mentions of it at the moment.

The switch you linked to specifically mentions having "2.0 and 5.1" selection capability, so perhaps it's a non-issue, but thought I should still mention it.

Hope you get everything to work the way you want. Good luck!

12. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Long story short.Buy a real AVR. Even the Pioneer 523 should be available, somewhere.That with, some speaker set, will be worth the extra money over the computer speakers You are looking at.