What's new

Blu-ray on LCD TV (1 Viewer)

Jon Baker

Second Unit
I'm considering picking up a Blu-ray player and am wondering if my standard DVDs will look any better on my LCD TV display than they would coming from my standard DVD player. I'm not considering an HDTV at the moment, but I do want to get the player so I can watch "Rolling Thunder" on Blu-ray.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Samsung 26" 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV LN26B460.
So it looks like it is. I'm wondering now how my standard DVDs will look now when played on a Blu-ray player hooked up to this TV. The reason I am asking this is because I've played my DVDs on my friend's display (which is HDTV) and the picture quality looked artificial, shot on video like a soap opera. I'm wondering now if this is what I should expect when watching DVDs on a Blu-ray player hooked up to my TV. Is this what upscaling looks like? Is there some setting I should be aware of when playing DVDs on a Blu-Ray player to avoid this?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Soap opera" look is inherent to LCD if you use any motion interpolation.Plasma don't have that issue. It has nothing to do with upscaled DVD.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Is there some setting I should be aware of when playing DVDs on a Blu-Ray player to avoid this?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Motion interpolation is in the LCD.So, no. Cause the issue is the LCD. So make sure the setting in your LCD is turned off.And, again, it has nothing, at all, to do with a DVD played in a BD player, period.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
Thanks for your help. I guess the best thing to do would be to pick up the Blu-ray player and take a look at it.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The OP's set is 60hz, no frame interpolation to turn off.As a general rule, DVDs up converted by a BD player look better than when played on a standard DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks