What's new

Blu Ray on 720P HDTV (1 Viewer)

ChrisMark

Agent
This may be a basic question, but I currently own a 50 inch DLP HDTV that has a resolution of 1280 x 720P. This makes it 720P, corect? My question is if I hook up a blu ray player (probably PS3) to the HDMI input, will it only show the Bku Ray movies at 720P? If so, is there still a drastic change in quality?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Do you notice a difference with HD cable or satellite now? If not, then do not bother.

If you do, then the HD disc will look even better than cable and or satellite. (On the good stuff of course)

Regards

ChrisMark

Agent
I do notice a dramatic difference between standard digital cable channels and the HD channels. So, I should expect to see a similar or greater difference with the PS3?

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
You will most definitely enjoy an obvious improvement in image quality by stepping up to BD. The native resolution of SD DVD is 720 x 480 (345,600 pixels) vs. 1280 x 720 available from BD for your TV (921,600 pixels). That's an increase of 2.66 times the detail your TV has to work with.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One thing though. (Not-HD) Digital cable can be pretty crappy. :D

You should compare what you see from good quality HD programs w/ HD channels to what you see w/ your DVDs for a better comparison -- BDs will generally have less artifacts than your typical HD channels, but the resolution won't be all that much better, if at all.

Also, as Michael says, how much better will certainly also depend on the actual quality of the content involved. Not all BD titles are *that* good just as not all DVD titles provide the best DVD quality. I'd recommend checking reviews before buying titles, especially for title upgrades, if you need substantial quality improvement for them. For DVD, I wasn't really diligent about checking reviews since I'm usually buying a title for the first time (and the prices are often so low to boot), but for BD, I usually check before I buy.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks