1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu Ray - Netflix movie downloads quest.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by robert bartsch, Oct 1, 2008.

1. robert bartsch

robert bartsch Well-Known Member

Apparently, Netflix is offering an new service where you buy a LG Blu Ray player for $399 and it allows you to download movies for play to your TV.

The add says the Player must be pluged into a eithernet cable - no wireless connection will work.

Question:

Can you "hard wire" the LG player to your PC which is connected via a wireless router to your Internet cable modem; how?

Thx

2. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think that might be a possibility is to use Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" on the wireless-connected PC , however, having never used "Internet Connection Sharing", I don't know how it works well enough to have any idea if it would actually work for this application.

It's good to know that it doesn't work over wireless. I had been thinking about looking into this LG player, but the lack of wireless is a dealbreaker for me.

3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    It should work with either a wireless "game' adapter or a powerline adapter.

Currently, I am using a SlingLiink powerline adapter to run the internet to my DirecTv HR-20 DVR for their "on-demand" service.

I got it on Amazon for under $70.

4. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Is the movie downloaded to the BD player? That player must have an incredible onboard memory.

5. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    The movie is streamed, and the quality is based on your internet download speed. Don't expect HD or even DVD quality, regardless of your internet speed. If you have a 1.5 Mbps connection, expect the quality to be about the same as a VHS recording at SLP or EP speed.

6. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    How awesome is that?!? We want to sell you new technology which allows us to sell you old technology. Gotta love it!

7. Buckethead78

Buckethead78 Well-Known Member

That's really disappointing. I was looking forward to getting netflix movies through my xbox in november. I might still try it out, but I guess I'll be on the "free trial" before I drop blockbuster.

8. Gilpinrysry

Gilpinrysry Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. robert bartsch

robert bartsch Well-Known Member

Yeh, I bought the LG player on Saturday for $350.

I have not installed it into my reciever/TV yet. I will say this, the number of titles that are availible for instant viewing are quite small. I could only find a handfull on the web yesterday even though Netflix states in the promotional materials that thousands of titles are availible.

...Yeh, well I did not see thousands...

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Well-Known Member

ManW
    If this stuff is only gonna be streamed and not downloaded for offline viewing, then it's gonna be pretty crappy for most folks. When I first heard about it, I thought maybe they'd let you download the movie onto a big-ish memory card or an external HDD via USB (or an internal one in some cases).

Given Blockbuster's overall business model, I wonder how they will approach this. Unlike Netflix, they still rely heavily on rentals via their B&M stores. I guess maybe they will do the same as before (like w/ rental-by-mail) and just wait-and-see how things shake out w/ the download/VOD model.

_Man_

11. Buckethead78

Well, I'm going to try the service on Xbox Live later in november. Netflix jst announced that HD content would also be available. I find that a little hard to swallow if it is only streaming media.

I'll post a report then unless someone beats me to it.

12. Buckethead78

Ok, I have had netflix on my xbox for a couple days now...I'm assuming the experience is the same on the Blu players as well. Here's one guy opinion:

Picture Quality - Ok to Good, depending on my connection speed. The picture is in SD, but its not blurry or anything. They do have a few HD movies, but I don't think I have tried any yet

Sound - Everything I have watched is Prologic II / DTS. Was hoping for dolby digital, but its not bad.

Overall - I find the service very convenient, and subsequently cancelled by blockbuster online program. You go online and add moves to your list, then they appear as something to select in the netflix program. Videos take about 30 seconds to a minute to load up. You can fast-forward through scenes with a mini menu of screen shots. There are no extras, like on DVD's but I rarely watch those on rentals anyway.

So far this month, my wife and I have watched about 12 movies / TV shows, without incident. There was one time that the movie stopped and re-buffered, but that's a minor annoyance for all those movies, plus blu-ray in the mail for 10 bucks a month!