What's new

Blu-Ray: Missed Opportunities (1 Viewer)

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
When Blu-Ray first came out, it was around the time DVD was VERY much hitting its stride and everyone was releasing Extended/Director's cuts of several movies. Unfortunately, a few of these were released on DVD but never made it to Blu-Ray Some of these included are:

Fantastic Four
Con Air
Commando

...and I am sure that there are others. I would love for these extended cuts to make their way to Blu Ray.

Also, to my knowledge, the only place to get the extended cut of Ransom is on LaserDisc. Wished Disney would rectify that as well. :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Pocahontas
The Sand Pebbles (the deleted scenes are there, but not in the body of the film as they were on the DVD)

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
MatthewA said:
The Sand Pebbles (the deleted scenes are there, but not in the body of the film as they were on the DVD)
Which is why I've held on to my DVD copy; here's hoping that Fox can redo the Blu and include both versions.

buddybluray

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Buddy
The Die Hard and Lethal Weapon franchises have the R versions as opposed to the Unrated. This is the reason I haven't upgraded from my DVD sets yet. I'm waiting until they get the proper treatment on Blu-ray.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Cleopatra

Fox has a few of the deleted scenes (snippets of which are seen in the 2hr documentary), as well as a wealth of costume tests and footage from the aborted Pinewood film. They went all out doing a beautiful restoration and a re-premiere at Cannes and a US/Canada/UK theatrical re-release. It would have been nice had they beefed up the bonus features with this material.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Perhaps the reasons these longer cuts are not included on the Blu-rays is because they were done on SD tape, and their respective studios just don't want to redo them again.

Bill Waits

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
magicman
Ethan Riley said:
Superman: the MovieSuperman IIStar Trek: the Motion Picture
I thought the first two Superman's got the treatment...as the Blu Ray set includes theatrical and Richard Donner cuts if memory serves correct.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Various Chaplins are unavailable on BD in their original or longest versions, due to restrictions imposed by the CC estate.

Sling Blade.

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Brenty, which Chaplins are you referring to?

For me, Enter The Dragon is the big one. How many times has it been re-released now, and not once has the original theatrical version been included?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Michael Mann's MANHUNTER from 1985 only saw the (imo superior) extended version once on DVD and has not been carried over to the Blu.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Altered States
Gone With the Wind
House of Dark Shadows
Night of Dark Shadows
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
Rio Bravo
The Searchers

Curse of Frankenstein
The Devil Rides Out
Horror of Dracula

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Bill Waits said:
I thought the first two Superman's got the treatment...as the Blu Ray set includes theatrical and Richard Donner cuts if memory serves correct.
Unless he's referring to the super-extended international version of S:TM and SII, which may not even be possible unless WB would go to great expense to locate all the extra footage elements (assuming they even could be found) and master in HD

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cinema Paradiso(easily number 2 of all-time BD frick ups. But I can't think of one any bigger)

Maltese Falcon(this one because the BD doesn't keep the pre-code along for the ride)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
John, without going into detail for each title, the Chaplin features that exist in alternate versions & longer original or extended versions on DVD, but not on BD in HD, are:

* The Kid (1921)
* A Woman of Paris (1923)
* The Gold Rush (1925) - restored '25 cut is on Criterion (which loses Neil Brand’s excellent piano score), but all region B BDs only contain the '42 recut in HD
* The Circus (1928)
* City Lights (1931)
* Modern Times (1936)
* Limelight (1952)
* A King in New York (1957)

In some cases, there are additional deleted scenes, included on some releases as extras, that were never part of the main feature, but that exist in excellent quality & could potentially be seamlessly branched in.

IMDb’s Alternate Versions section for each film lists most, but not all, of the differences & points of contention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks