What's new

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid. (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If you check the thread I started in this section about the Lost Season 3 Blu-ray, that Disc five have Disc one's information, so you ended up with two disc ones.
It took a third copy from Disney to get it right.

nikonf5

Agent
Real Name
Mian
Its mentioned in people's replies but not in the main post.
Its one of the first Blu-Ray problem discs and should be listed as the incorrect one can still be found on shelves.
The Fifth Element
Old one has bad PQ that becomes obvious in projector setups.
New one has the better transfer.
Last time I checked, the replacement program from Sony was still in effect.
This is not an exhaustive list although I used to have it written down somewhere but some of the ways to tell if yours is the bad one is the following:
No Dolby TrueHD logo in the back and its not listed as one of the soundtracks either.
No Region A,B,C logo on the back
Front bottom "Experience High Def is in gray"
If yours is still sealed, the top spine sticker will NOT say "Fifth Element RE BD"
Images can be fond here for comparison:
Remastered front
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1354007h.jpg
Remastered back
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1354007bh.jpg
Old front
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1058066h.jpg
Old back
http://images.dvdempire.com/gen/movies/1058066bh.jpg
Thanks.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
V for Vendetta: There is no glitch or problem with this movie. But there is a horrible transfer so don't get your hopes up for the quality of this Blu Ray. It looks like an upconverted DVD. Don't buy for quality purposes.;)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Pete T C said:
It is an authoring problem for which replacements are available, but most player manufacturers have already issued firmware updates to get around the authoring problem as it is a high profile title. Therefore in your case replacement is optional.
Has anyone here sent for a replacement of this title?
Is there any way to tell which disc you have by looking at it? (Is there any chance that the corrected discs have made it to retail outlets yet?)
I'm in the position of not having a blu-ray player to test the disc on- I took advantage of that great Amazon blu-ray sale and I don't plan on getting a player until *much* later this year.
Does FOX generally do a good job with disc replacement programs?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Spartan54 said:
There is no glitch or problem with this movie. But there is a horrible transfer so don't get your hopes up for the quality of this Blu Ray. It looks like an upconverted DVD. Don't buy for quality purposes.;)
Huh??? Horrible transfer??? :confused:
Not exactly reference quality I'd agree, but if that's "horrible", then so are probably 90-95% of transfers out there too. :rolleyes
_Man_

Pete T C

Second Unit
updated!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Just ordered (and now canceled) Event Horizon. Thanks for the list. Is there a link to picture evidence of the stretching?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Pete T C said:
* An issue with one of the BD-J files may cause your player to freeze
! Fox has a replacement program available: 1-888-223-2FOX
I tried calling that # today, and I was instructed to send an email to [email protected] to get instructions.

Mr. Film

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Keegan
Man-Fai Wong said:
Huh??? Horrible transfer??? :confused:
Not exactly reference quality I'd agree, but if that's "horrible", then so are probably 90-95% of transfers out there too. :rolleyes
_Man_
It's the worst looking Blu Ray I own. It doesn't have the crystal clear with just the right amount of grain that most Blu Rays have. Not all movies have perfect transfers, in fact very few do, but this movie is far below the average PQ from a Blu Ray.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Just wanted to give kudos to MPI for replacing my copy of Baraka (original cardboard eco pack edition) which had a skipping problem in a number of chapters - exchange took about 5 business days and went very smoothly.

Regards,

P.S. From my personal experience, Warners has also been great about replacing defective/incorrect discs.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
You may want to add Starsky & Hutch 2004 (Stiller + Wilson). The UK region free Bluray release in March 2008 lacks the subtitles to convert the language spoken to english when the oriental gunmen speaks to his son about throwing many knives after Starsky & Hutch seize him in his apartment. This is present on the DVD. I contacted BVHE about it and just got a generic PR blowoff about sending my BD in to have it checked for errors. They obviously did not check the master prior to pressing or censored it for some reason. Warners will no doubt have the US rights but in the UK Buena Vista Home Entertainment have the release rights (like they also have a few other titles which came out on Region B way before Region A like Air Force One & Starship Troopers). Checked this on several different players with the latest BD Live updates & firmware and none would display it unless you selected English subtitles for the entire movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
TonyD said:
so what it the deal with truman show?
i popped it in the ps3 at work and didn't notice anything wrong.
Is this for all copies or just some?
It should be all copies, but it's a fairly subtle effect--it wasn't until I saw A/B images that I was able to see it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Until the DP comes foreward and says that this transfer is correct i'm going to continue to assume that it isn't.

The way I see it they wouldn't have gotten so many past OAR transfers wrong without someone noticing and fixing it to the transfer we have on this BD.

Something is amiss with this release IMO.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Does anyone here know? Has the missing 10 second chord from the end credits Godfather Part II been restored to the BR disc?
For those who may not know, this error occurs just before the restoration credits begin.
It may be a small detail to some, but this is very important to me. I seldom sit though the end credits of most films, but I love the music of the Godfather trilogy, and to have even one note of music missing from the movie is, to me, unthinkable.
I would hope that a free exchange of a corrected replacement disc would be offered to those who were bothered by this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks