What's new

Blu-ray Glitch List - Titles you might want to avoid. (1 Viewer)

Pete T C

Second Unit
Thought this might be helpful to those just getting into BD
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

(UPDATED 5/24/11)
CONFIRMED CURRENT PROBLEM USA BDs
***Releases highlighted in red have problems being ignored by the studio***
* Severe jaggies persist throughout the film.
! Weinstein has not addressed this as of 1/14/09
3:10 to Yuma
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text).
! LionsGate does not consider this an issue

Afro Samurai: Resurrection
* Lossless track missing
! Funimaton has a replacement program available

Air Force One
* Original release lacks English subtitles for Russian dialog in areas
! Sony issued a replacement that includes subtitles, but the dialog is incorrect! Only the UK Buena Vista disc has this right.

Apollo 13
* Excessive DNR & EE compared to the HD DVD
! Studio does not consider this an issue. Consider the USA HD DVD.

Battle: Los Angeles
* Contains Cinavia DRM watermark in audible spectrum of lossless soundtrack which may cause a slight loss in fidelity (and hence is not true 'lossless.')
! Sony does not consider this a problem. Weigh how important this issue is to you prior to purchase.

Burlesque
* Contains Cinavia DRM watermark in audible spectrum of lossless soundtrack which may cause a slight loss in fidelity (and hence is not true 'lossless.')
! Sony does not consider this a problem. Weigh how important this issue is to you prior to purchase.

The Cowboys
* Excessive DNR
! Studio does not consider this an issue.

The Crow 2: City of Angels
* Sound is stereo only instead of 5.1
! Echo Bridge does not consider this an issue. Consider the US Buena Vista Collector's Editionj DVD instead.

Dawn of the Dead (1978)
* Excessive DNR

Dementia 13 (HD Cinema Classics)
* Excessive DNR
! Studio does not consider this an issue. Consider the Roan DVD instead.
The Descent (MPEG2)
* Significant chroma fringing/errors in transfer, most visible during credits (rainbow colors around edges of text). AUS version is unaffected.
! LionsGate does not consider this an issue. Consider AUS release instead.
Die Hard 2
* DTS-HDMA lossless track incorrectly flagged as DTS-HD lossy, resulting in lossy output or no sound at all on some setups
! Consider the fixed Fox UK release instead. Fox US does not consider this an issue.
District B13 & District B13 Double Feature
* The only District B13 English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue

Dracula 2000 (USA)
* Version with significantly better A/V quality available from Alliance Canada for the same price.
! Echo Bridge does not consider this an issue.

Enter the Dragon
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

Equilibrium (US, Canada, & UK)
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, should be 2:35:1 and it is 1.78:1. Only the Japanese Sony version of this film is correct in all aspects; the Dutch version gets the OAR right but has some sync issues.

Event Horizon
* Image is vertically stretched at times, resulting in "thin" faces and image distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09

From Dusk 'Til Dawn
* Version with significantly better A/V quality available from Alliance Canada for the same price.
! Echo Bridge does not consider this an issue.
The Fugitive
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies; effective disc resolution is 960x1080.
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem.

The Green Hornet (2D & 3D)

Gulliver's Travels
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, cropped from 1.37:1 to 1.78:1.
! Koch does not consider this an issue.
Halloween
* Color balance during night scenes deviates from the filmmakers intentions
! Anchor Bay/Starz does not consider this an issue.

Halloween H20 (USA)
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, it is 1.78:1 when it should be 2.35:1.
! Echo Bridge does not consider this an issue. Consider the Alliance Canada Halloween Triple Pack which includes H20 in 2.35:1.

Harold and Kumar: Escape From Guantanamo Bay
* There are popping noises at branch points when listening to the fully decoded lossless DTS-MA soundtrack.
! New Line is aware of the issue, but no replacement program has been announced.
Immortal
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

Kansas City Confidential (HD Cinema Classics)
* Excessive DNR
! Studio does not consider this an issue. Consider the MGM DVD instead.

The Karate Kid (2010)
King of California
* Jaggies are noticable at times throughout the movie, possibly a low quality upconvert from 720p master.
! First Look Pictures has not addressed this

The Longest Day
* Excessive DNR

The Losers
! Warner does not consider this a problem. Weigh how important this issue is to you prior to purchase.

Lost: Season 4
* The first 2 seconds of audio may be cut off when starting playback of an episode
! Disney has not addressed this issue
Matrix Revolutions
* Image breaks up or jumps at 1:45:46
! Warner has a replacement program available

Money for Nothing
* Aspect ratio incorrect: should be 2.35:1 and it is 1.78:1
! Mill Creek does not consider this an issue. Consider the USA DVD instead.

Near Dark
* Excessive DNR

The Other Guys

Out of Africa
* Excessive DNR

The Night of the Werewolf/Vengeance of the Zombies
* Severe A/V lag during playback. All copies may not be affected.
! BCI does not consider this an issue
Paris, je t'aime
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable.
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09. Consider the DVD, which is apparently unaffected.

Patton
* Excessive DNR

Pinocchio
* Missing vocals during "give a little whistle" song.
! DIsney has a replacement program available.
Priceless
* The only English subtitle option for this foreign movie is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired, resulting in sound effects being written out in the subtitles. This can be irritating for those who are not hearing impaired, an additional standard subtitle track would have been preferable. Also, there are no english subtitles at all for the french extras included!
! First Look Pictures has failed to address this issue as of 1/19/09

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2D & 3D)

The Roommate

Salt

Scary Movie 1
* Excessive DNR

The Social Network

Spartacus (Universal)
* Excessive DNR & EE
! Studio does not consider this an issue. Consider the USA Criterion DVD instead.

Species
* Authoring error where attempting to access the subtitle options via the main menu or the pop-up menu results in freezing of the player controls. This has been confirmed by paidgeek, a Sony insider. The subtitles can still be accessed properly via the subtitle button on the player's remote.
! No replacement program is planned for this

The Stranger (HD Cinema Classics)
* Excessive DNR
! Studio does not consider this an issue. Consider the MGM DVD instead.
Sukiyaki Western Django
* Right channel effects and center channel effects are swapped in TrueHD soundtrack.
! First Look Pictures has not announced a replacement program.

Takers

The Terror (HD Cinema Classics)
* Excessive DNR

The Tourist
The Truman Show
* Image is horizontally stretched, resulting in overly "fat" faces and distortion.
! Paramount has failed to address this issue as of 1/8/09. Consider the non-anamorphic out of print DVD instead.
Unbreakable
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion in rear right surround at 8:30-8:32. Also a popping noise is heard in the center channel at 1:28:21.
! The UK version has a 16bit/48khz 5.1 PCM track that is unaffected by this issue.
! Disney has failed to address this issue

Young Guns
* Master was incorrectly filtered prior to encoding resulting in severe jaggies
! LionsGate has failed to address this issue

The World at War
* Aspect ratio is incorrect, 1.78:1 instead of 1.33:1.
! This is considered a "feature" by the studio. Consider the 2004 A&E DVD set instead.
UNCONFIRMED or EQUIPMENT-SPECIFIC BD GLITCHES
Cars (US) & Chicago (US)
* PCM soundtrack popping/distortion
! Need more information to determine if this is a disc issue. Apparently UK version of cars remedies issue.
PAST INCIDENTS - You'd be unlikely to find these problem discs in stores today, as they were fixed long ago.
Baraka (Horrible cardboard eco-pak edition)
* Some copies freeze at 1hr 13mins mark. A batch of the initial run of discs in the poorly-made cardboard case had significant manufacturing issues which some players are more sensitive to than others.
! MPI has a replacement program available
Blade Runner
* Some copies do not have the final cut on Disc 1 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the workprint disc
* Some copies do not have the workprint on Disc 5 as it should be, instead having a repeat of the final cut disc
Chronos
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! RBFilms has a replacement program available
The Descent (OOP/AVC release only)
* Movie file(s) were located in the wrong directory, making the disc unplayable in some cases. Serious chroma errors are visible in transfer, especially on credits.
! Title was recalled

Dirty Dancing (OOP)
* Master appears to have been incorrectly scaled prior to encoding, resulting in severe jaggies.
! LionsGate does not consider this an issue. Consider the collector's edition instead, which remedies the issues
The Fifth Element (OOP/original release)
* This title does not have any glitches, but it is being included because it has a poor transfer and the manufacturer is offering a free upgrade to the newer version w/ better transfer.
! Sony has a replacement program available.
Full Metal Jacket (OOP/original release only - original cover has white background)
! Warner has released a remastered BD with new artwork that is full 1080p resolution.

Gladiator (OOP white label barcode)
* EE/DNR
! Paramount has a replacement program available.
The Incredible Hulk
* In Canada, some early copies of the initial run of this title mistakenly have Ang Lee's earlier "Hulk" film in the case instead of the newer Incredible Hulk film.
! Universal has a replacement program available.
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same (OOP)
* 7-second TrueHD soundtrack dropout at 1:40:45, confirmed encoding error that affects all players. Lossless HD DVD version and lossy soundtracks on both versions are not affected.
! Warner has done a "silent release" of a corrected Blu-ray Disc. The files on the correctly authored disc are dated March 2008.
Let the Right One In (OOP)
* Subtitle translation is incorrect.
! Magnolia does not consider this an issue and is not issuing replacements; instead, they will release a new version in the future with correct subtitles for purchase. Return your disc if you are dissatisfied with the incorrect subtitle translation.
http://iconsoffright.com/news/2009/0...les_in_to.html

Lethal Weapon 2 (OOP)
! Warner does not consider this an issue, and states a new master must be struck to fix the problem. There is a remastered version coming out in 2011.
Lost: Season 3
* On some copies, Disc 5 is a duplicate of Disc 1.
! Disney has a replacement program available.
Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl
* Framing error
! Disney has a replacement program available

Saving Private Ryan (OOP white barcode)
* Sound sync issues
! Paramount has a replacement program available
Speed
* Some copies had an issue that prevented playback in some cases
! Fox has a replacement program available
Stargate
* Early copies were missing subtitles for a portion of the movie
! LionsGate has corrected the issue with a new pressing

Starship Troopers
* Editing error where a few frames of the movie are repeated, omitting what should actually be seen. Example: Faulty version --Corrected version.
! Sony has a replacement program available
Terminator 3
* Some copies have the main feature encoded in 1080i when IME is not enabled

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, if you want to call it a glitch then add the FIREFLY TV series to the list since the English subtitles are of the variety that also describe sound effects. To me, it is more of an omission than a glitch, but the present subs are annoying for anyone who likes to use subtitles but isn't deaf.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks for compiling this list, Pete! I think it will prove very helpful and I really appreciate the effort.

Edwin, I don't think Firefly belongs in the same category as Paris, je t'aime or District B13. Paris and District are foreign films, and can't be enjoyed by English-speakers (at whom these American releases are ostensibly aimed) without subtitles, so the lack of a true subtitle track (as opposed to closed-captioning for the hearing impaired) is a fairly serious flaw. It might be annoying to watch Firefly with closed-captioning instead of subtitles, but since the show itself is in English, I don't think that earns it a place on this list.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
cafink said:
with closed-captioning instead of subtitles, but since the show itself is in English, I don't think that earns it a place on this list.
D'oh! You're right. I wasn't paying enough attention to what he meant by subtitle glitches.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Pete T C said:
* An issue with one of the BD-J files may cause your player to freeze
! Fox has a replacement program available: 1-888-223-2FOX
I didn't know there was a replacement program for this- I thought that it was just a firmware issue for certain players.

Hank E

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any distinct change on the cover of Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl to tell if you have the corrected version?

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I'm puzzled about the reference to the image stretching on the BD of 'The Truman Show'. According to IMDB (technical specs), the film was shot in Academy ratio but was intended to be projected in 1.85:1 by matting off the top and bottom. As far as I recall, the DVD was OK so I don't know why Paramount would have tried to do anything different when re-mastering the film for HD.
I've just checked Gary Tooze's review on DVDBeaver (unfortunately they don't like direct linking so I can't provide a URL). He makes no mention of any image stretching or distortion, and the screencaps don't appear to be distorted. Where did this report of distortion come from?
Edit: OK I found the following thread on another forum, which confirms the stretching very clearly:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1103757
My BD is already on its way to me from Amazon (I'm in the UK), but it'll be going straight back. I don't know what Paramount are thinking, putting out this travesty. And why haven't more reviewers picked up on it??

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Thanks for the helpful info. It is appreciated.

(1) Does anyone have the contact info for SONY so that i might see about getting the corrected STARSHIP TROOPERS?

(2) i have not viewed FOR YOUR EYES ONLY yet. Should i see a replacement before i do. Or IS this an firmware problem? i have a PS3.

Thanks for the help!

Rolando

Screenwriter
WHOA! I just bought the fugitive, good thing I saw this before I un-wrapped it.

back it goes!

Pete T C

Second Unit
bob kaplan said:
It is an authoring problem for which replacements are available, but most player manufacturers have already issued firmware updates to get around the authoring problem as it is a high profile title. Therefore in your case replacement is optional.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Pete, I'm confused about The Descent. You highlighted it in red, indicating that its problem is "being ignored by the studio" and noted that "Lionsgate does not consider this an issue."

But then Norris asked about differentiating between different versions and you indicated that there are indeed two different versions. I'm not sure I follow. Is there a version of The Descent without the chroma errors mentioned in your list, or not?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Excellent list. I am going to make this a "Sticky" thread so it can
easily be referenced and added to. Thank you so much.
...which reminds me...
How do I contact Disney to finally replace my BD copy of "Pirates
of the Caribbean Curse of the Black Pearl"?

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Thanks for this list--I was actually about to come on here and ask if there was such a list already in existence!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I should point out that not all of the "fixed" problems have necessarily disappeared from store shelves; I picked up a copy of the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy box set from Best Buy in late December, and it still had the problematic Curse of the Black Pearl.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Finally popped my 5th Blade Runner BluRay disc in, and thank goodness, it is the correct disc 5.
Thanks for this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks