1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Discs with MPEG4 or VC1 Encoding ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dave Moritz, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Does anyone here know when we might see MPEG4 or VC1 encoded Blu-ray discs available. Are there any articles or links that provide any information on when these discs will be on store shelves? I truely would like to see Blu-ray be sucessful but if there are not going to be any high quality Blu-ray releases I will find it hard to spend $1k on a player.

If there is no HQ Blu-ray discs then I guess I can allways get an HD-DVD player. [​IMG]

Any information would be greatly welcome.

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    There must be some news on VC-1 encoded Blu-ray discs. Also I would hope someone here would have a way to find out if there will be any way to tell if a disc is VC-1?

I will be purchasing a Toshiba HD-DVD player next month and I plan on having at least 9 titles to enjoy the day I bring it home. As for Blu-ray goes, I keep seeing the discs in the store and I would like to start buying titles. But as long as Blu-ray titles are MPEG2 encoded, there will be no purchasing of Blu-ray disc for now. I only hope that they will identify VC-1 encoded discs as it will help sell titles. At least for the consumers that stop buying Blu-ray disc because of the MPEG2 issue.

I would like to see this thread get some input as I am willing to bet that this issue is a concern to many here in this forum!

3. Christian P

Christian P Well-Known Member

I'm interested as well.
    If I go for HD, I want the best PQ I can get. If there won't be non-MPEG2 BluRay discs soon, I'll go with HD-DVD.

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I'm not sure, but I don't believe this information is printed on the cases. At least is doesn't seem to be on HD DVD cases.

But for any particular title that has been released, this information can typically be found pretty easily online (by asking here or at AVS).