What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (2 Viewers)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Thank you so much.I feel guilty; I did not want to risk an order without knowing. Now, you'll be carrying that burden.Thanks again.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Dave B Ferris said:
Thank you so much.I feel guilty; I did not want to risk an order without knowing. Now, you'll be carrying that burden.Thanks again.
I have a region free player so it doesn't really matter to me, but I will dutifully report here. :)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
^I figured you might have a region-free player.I do not, and I intend to stand my ground this time. I have one (major) regret from the DVD (pre-Blu) days: I did buy a region-free DVD player, and I ultimately came to feel that the hardware and subsequent software were a waste of my money. Most of the titles I ordered from other regions eventually were released domestically. Lord knows, my un-watched pile was enough so that I had plenty to watch while waiting for the domestic releases.Also, I swear, maybe I'm clumsy, or who knows, but I was always forgetting the (special) steps to change the region setting in the player. I worry that as I get older (I'm 54 now) that problem would only get worse. Again, thanks for your help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What DVD player is this that you had to change codes on?Once set 0, I never had to change one again...and I have had at least a dozen region free.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
JVC, I think.The Malata was supposed to be better - maybe as you described. I bought a Malata, as a backup, so I never took it out of the box. More wasted money. I'm trying to be smarter these days, or at least I like to think I'm trying to be smarter.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
schan1269 said:
What DVD player is this that you had to change codes on?Once set 0, I never had to change one again...and I have had at least a dozen region free.
I have a couple region/zone free Blu-ray/DVD players. With DVD, you do not have to do anything, it will play any region automatically. With Blu-ray, all the zone-free I have seen (including mine) you have to manually change the zone. Since the sequence to change is a little different with each of my players, I made a little instruction stick-on which I put at the bottom of my remotes. Dave, I know what you mean, I'm almost 62!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Keith Cobby said:
Has anybody received the blu-ray of Kansas Raiders? If so could you please comment on the image quality.
I have it. It is very sharp with good contrast and is region free. I would like the color balance to have more blue but it is okay. All in all, I am happy with it.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
John Hermes said:
I have a couple region/zone free Blu-ray/DVD players. With DVD, you do not have to do anything, it will play any region automatically. With Blu-ray, all the zone-free I have seen (including mine) you have to manually change the zone. Since the sequence to change is a little different with each of my players, I made a little instruction stick-on which I put at the bottom of my remotes. Dave, I know what you mean, I'm almost 62!

Back to "Man Without A Star":

A member of another forum, in a post on that forum, wrote that he has a Region A Player (even though his info says his location his Germany), and that the BR played fine in his Region A player. The member also had very positive comments about the disc itself.

So, for me it is still a risk, but - now - less of a risk than before; I placed my order with Amazon (Germany) last week, and the package shipped today.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Billy Batson said:
I read on another site (Blu-ray) that Universal has licensed some of its fifties sci-fi movies to a German company called Anolis Entertainment: The Monolith Monsters, The Land Unknown & The Mole People. The first one released is, The Monolith Monsters on March 28th, a wee bit expensive.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00IQ2PWYS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1MBYVE6SHNRY3PJ9ZXQK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455353687&pf_rd_i=301128
Yeah, I pre-ordered Monolith Monsters. It was about $29 shipped to the U.S. It is kind of expensive, but I thought I better order it now since it's limited to 3000 copies.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for the information about Monolith Monsters. This was in a set (The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection Vols 1&2) which also contained The Land Unknown and The Mole People. The other titles were The Incredible Shrinking Man, Tarantula, Monster on the Campus, Dr Cyclops, Cult of the Cobra, The Deadly Mantis and The Leech Woman. Hopefully some or all of the others will be released. I hadn't noticed that it was a limited edition. An interesting development but where was it said that the number is 3,000?

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I received the Man Without A Star BD today from Amazon Germany. It is region free and seems to have the 2.0 aspect ratio (there are slight upper and lower bars on my 16x9 display) as stated on the packaging. It is a nice looking disc with good sharpness and excellent color and contrast. The "trailer" is kind of odd in that it is scenes from the movie (in HD) with the theme song playing in the background. Obviously, it's not the real trailer - sort of a after-the-fact montage. I am happy with the purchase.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Keith Cobby said:
Thanks for the information about Monolith Monsters. This was in a set (The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection Vols 1&2) which also contained The Land Unknown and The Mole People. The other titles were The Incredible Shrinking Man, Tarantula, Monster on the Campus, Dr Cyclops, Cult of the Cobra, The Deadly Mantis and The Leech Woman. Hopefully some or all of the others will be released. I hadn't noticed that it was a limited edition. An interesting development but where was it said that the number is 3,000?
Actually, it's 1000! Here is a translation from the German releaser's description (http://www.anolis-film.de/) :
Universal Classics on Blu-rayWednesday, 26 February 2014 at 16:03 clock Written by Anolis Entertainment2014_02_26_universalIn some of our forums, we had already let hinted before, that we plan to release several classic than standard versions on Blu-ray.It starts with a title of the house of universal, namely THE SECRET OF MONSTERS stone.2014_02_26_monolith_schwarz_smThe disc details are as follows:Picture Format: High Definition Widescreen (16:9 2,00:1) 1920x1080pSound: German 2.0 Mono / Stereo English 2.0 DTS HD Master AudioSubtitles: German (be hidden)Extras: American and German trailer, U.S. pressbook, image galleryThe edition is limited to 1000 pieces.The Blu-rays are - as seen in the image - veröffenticht in a black softbox. The BDs will probably move around 15 EUR priced.As a release date, we have 28 March 2014 set.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
John Hermes said:
I received the Man Without A Star BD today from Amazon Germany. It is region free and seems to have the 2.0 aspect ratio (there are slight upper and lower bars on my 16x9 display) as stated on the packaging. It is a nice looking disc with good sharpness and excellent color and contrast. The "trailer" is kind of odd in that it is scenes from the movie (in HD) with the theme song playing in the background. Obviously, it's not the real trailer - sort of a after-the-fact montage. I am happy with the purchase.
Thanks for dutifully (I think that was your word) reporting. Mine is on the way; I received the shipping notice on Monday. Looking forward to its arrival even more after reading your report.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Anolis was pretty good with e.g. their Hammer DVDs back in the days, so at least the company behind these BDs is promising. But limited to 1000? I wonder why is that? Another TT syndrome?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks