What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Professor Echo said:
I like the German KRIMI genre very much, particularly the Wallace films. But the latter are unlike the U. K. Wallaces because some incorporate elements of humor in them, not really broad humor, more in the form of a comic relief character or two or occasional camp. The U.K. Wallace movies are more straightforward and dour. I like those too, but the German ones are usually more fun. My German gf tells me the Wallaces diminish in quality with the later entries from the end of the 60's and into the 70's, most of which I haven't seen yet. The black and white pictures from earlier are revered as beloved classics in Germany, but the color ones are considered hit and miss.
That sums it up, pretty much. :)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
RMajidi said:
You have not experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon.
General von Graum: But we have one problem. "To be or not to be?" as our great German poet said.

Professor Horatio Smith: German? But that's Shakespeare. I thought Shakespeare was English.

General von Graum: No, no, no. Shakespeare is a German. Professor Schuessbacher has proved it once and for all.

Professor Horatio Smith: Dear, how very upsetting. Still, you must admit that the English translations are most remarkable.

General von Graum: Good night.

Professor Horatio Smith: Good night. Good night. "Parting is such sweet sorrow."

General von Graum: What is that?

Professor Horatio Smith: That's one of the most famous lines in German literature.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
cinemiracle said:
It is typical of the British marketing system.It makes good ( but very stupid) business sense not to put two films on the one disc.

Your diatribe is unjustified. The U.K. Edgar Wallace films are three to a disc.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Just purchased A Man Called Sledge, and Gunmans Walk from Amazon de. Explosive Media's releases are always top notch. Looking forward to seeing these!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
l notice that DVD Savant has just reviewed them and found them excellent.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Billy Batson said:
Two fifties Fox westerns coming from Koch on March 24th, The Last Wagon & White Feather. I'll probably buy the German Last Wagon (rather than the French) as it's bound not to have any forced subs.
I have The Last Wagon on dvd from Koch Media. An excellent western with very good pq and aq. I don't think I'll double dip. But then on the other hand.......

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
bubuwest said:
I don't recall anybody mentioning it before, so I guess this may be good news for some... Explosive Media will be releasing blu-ray versions of Budd Boetticher's Comanche Station, Andre DeToth's Stranger Wore a Gun (not 3D, unfortunately), and Tony Mann's The Last Frontier early next year. All of them are Sony-Columbia titles, but considering its previous western releases (Fort Massacre, Backlash, Gunman's Walk) this company should have deals with MGM and Universal, too...

Wow, The Last Frontier is one of my most wanted films on blu and I can't wait for this. I also really want the Boetticher westerns on blu so I hope that Comanche Station is an indication the others are on the way. I love Germany for Westerns on blu!

The Last Frontier.jpg

Last Frontier.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
macdaddy said:
Just purchased A Man Called Sledge, and Gunmans Walk from Amazon de. Explosive Media's releases are always top notch. Looking forward to seeing these!
Same here, I just purchased those two titles too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bubuwest said:
I don't recall anybody mentioning it before, so I guess this may be good news for some... Explosive Media will be releasing blu-ray versions of Budd Boetticher's Comanche Station, Andre DeToth's Stranger Wore a Gun (not 3D, unfortunately), and Tony Mann's The Last Frontier early next year. All of them are Sony-Columbia titles, but considering its previous western releases (Fort Massacre, Backlash, Gunman's Walk) this company should have deals with MGM and Universal, too...
Yeah, I'll buy them even though I own an HD Digital copy of The Last Frontier.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, I'll buy them even though I own an HD Digital copy of The Last Frontier.
How does that HD copy look, Robert? The DVD is sort of murky looking and is not so hot. I really want to see what the film will look like in HD and if it looks a lot better than the very average DVD.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Reggie W said:
How does that HD copy look, Robert? The DVD is sort of murky looking and is not so hot. I really want to see what the film will look like in HD and if it looks a lot better than the very average DVD.
I watched the DVD last night. I agree with you. Problems are variable, but faded color and poor shadow detail pop up quite a bit. It will be interesting to see what the BD looks like.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I really like the film and Anthony Mann's work in general. Mature's character is funny and a bit bizarre as this nutty almost man-child, but I think he does a wonderful job playing the part and he is fun to watch in it.

The film is gorgeously photographed, not that the DVD shows that fact off as it sort of looks like somebody dipped the film in a pot of coffee then sprinkled it with dust and debris, allowed it to dry then transferred it onto a DVD. So, this could be a stunning looking film in HD. I just can't tell how it might look based on whatever the source was for the DVD transfer.

Hopefully, Robert can tell us how his HD version looks.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thomas T said:
I got the German blu rays of Emma (1996) and From Noon Till Three (1976) and both looked quite nice to my eyes. Neither are available on blu in region 1 (at this time).

How do you like that transfer of Emma now? Do you know if it's the best version available (or at least better than the old Australian version that was panned... and probably the UK version as well)?

I may go ahead and take the plunge on this one...

Thanks.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
ManW_TheUncool said:
How do you like that transfer of Emma now? Do you know if it's the best version available (or at least better than the old Australian version that was panned... and probably the UK version as well)?

I may go ahead and take the plunge on this one...

Thanks.

I think it looked quite nice. I watched it on a 40" HD monitor. The fact that it's anamorphic makes it worth the upgrade from the U.S. DVD to me.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Germany would be the first place to look for those it would seem.
That *does* seem to be the case.

I know, of course, that the economy is now a "global economy", and by our presence in this thread, most of us have probably announced our familiarity with purchases made outside of our home countries.

In the bigger pictures, though, I'm still a little perplexed and also a little depressed that music labels in Japan and the U.K., and now DVD/BR labels in Germany, France and Spain demonstrate a reverence for America's cultural heritage that exceeds companies actually based in America.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Reggie W said:
I don't have the DVD, but the HD copy looked fine. Not pristine, but not bad.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Dave B Ferris said:
In the bigger pictures, though, I'm still a little perplexed and also a little depressed that music labels in Japan and the U.K., and now DVD/BR labels in Germany, France and Spain demonstrate a reverence for America's cultural heritage that exceeds companies actually based in America.
It is vice versa.

Many of the German classics from the silent and early sound era were released in Japan, the UK and/or the US way before Germany.

And that was on DVD as well as on Blu-ray.

So, I know what it feels like. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks