What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE (1 Viewer)

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Anyone who wants help ordering on amazon or any other site, don't hesitate to ask in this thread, I'll post you the direct link (just in case you have problems ordering).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
John Hodson said:
Wild Side is releasing Curse of The Demon / Night of The Demon in November, a 'Collectors Edition', dual format with both UK and US cuts, and a 128 page book.
128 pages!

Not that I'm complaining, but ... wow.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It carries a hefty price tag right now (Amazon.fr has it for just under 30 Euros), and I'm a little concerned that the AR is shown at 1.66:1 (as per the last R1 DVD iteration, but incorrect as far as OTAR goes), but then again, according to this interview, Giordano Guillem, the technical manager at Wild Side Video thinks two Fritz Lang Superscope productions should be in Academy.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
John, the two Fritz Lang films you mention are presumably While the City Sleeps and Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. I raised the AR of 'City' on Bob's thread. I have both the UK release which is 1.33:1 and the Warner Archive which is 2:1. However, neither print show the Superscope logo. Bob says widescreen is correct but I am convinced the 1.33:1 is right and that this is how it was shown in the UK.

Do you think either of these two films are likely to be released on blu-ray soon?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I couldn't say.

But don't think that in the late 1950s either film was presented in the UK in a redundant aspect ratio in cinemas that were anxious only to book films that would drag audiences in to see movies on big, wide, screens. It's a quite ludicrous idea.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Just looking at both versions (I have the DVDs), it's obvious these films are superscope only. The 4/3 looks bad with way too much top and bottom empty room even as zoomed in as they are. Guillem just still has that old "all old movies are squared even past 1953" thing, which is understandable since that's how we french grew up on these movies for years and years.
I'll speak to him if I get the chance, I know a few people at Wild Side. Still these DVD they issued are great.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
James Dean Blu Ray......I was strolling in Paris...walked into a store...and there was the WB James Dean Collection in Blu Ray for $30 Euros, which is about $40!
GREAT PRICE.....and a much earlier release date!!!

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I received Lucky Star (1929), Street Angel (1928), 7th Heaven (1927), Violent Saturday (1955), and The Kremlin Letter (1970) blurays in the mail today.

I did a quick check on The Kremlin Letter (1970) since I've yet to see it reviewed anywhere. It's published by Filmedia, an Italian based distributor, in partnership with Fox. The video looks kosher to me. Nicely resolved details. No DNR. A healthy amount of film grain is present. No edge enhancement that I could detect. Video is progressive, and not interlaced. French subtitles could be removed using the subtitle button on my remote. Sound was clear and audible. The disc is dual layered. I believe the video comes from the same source as the Eureka UK PAL release from 2011 that DVD Beaver reviewed, which is an upgrade over the Twighlight Time transfer. This is the first Filmedia blu-ray I've bought. So far, they've made a good first impression.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thanks for that Revgen, I've been wavering on Kremlin Letter.
My only reservation is that after ordering it, Twilight Time will choose this as one of it's DVD-only titles to revisit on Blu.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Beware of Filmedia's EXODUS and the red CIRCUS WORLD BD since the French subtitles cannot be removed. Nice to know that KREMLIN LETTER has removable subs. There is a second Filmedia CIRCUS WORLD BD listed on Amazon France. Any know if that one has removable subs?

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm not sure if anyone has previously posted this but 4 for Texas is due to be released on blu-ray in France in January. The DVD has a nice picture quality so hopefully the blu-ray will be good.

Frank Sinatra in a western!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Keith Cobby said:
I'm not sure if anyone has previously posted this but 4 for Texas is due to be released on blu-ray in France in January. The DVD has a nice picture quality so hopefully the blu-ray will be good.

Frank Sinatra in a western!
Thanks, I'll get this.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Also, for those who are thinking about buying The Kremlin Letter blu-ray, the disc also plays in my region A player, so it appears to be region free.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
I received LE CLAN DES SICILLENS/THE SICILIAN CLAN today and it is Region Free. It has the English dub version, as well as the French version with English subs.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Wade Sowers said:
I received LE CLAN DES SICILLENS/THE SICILIAN CLAN today and it is Region Free. It has the English dub version, as well as the French version with English subs.
Thank you. And the picture quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks