What's new

Blu Ray delivers another blow to hd. (1 Viewer)

Greg T

Stunt Coordinator
Ken, you qouted me as wrong, but the fact is my qoute is 100% correct...no hd dvd players that decode more than two channels of Dolby HD.
The key word is decode;)

Also the Toshibas both only have 5.1 analog outs.
The only way to get any multi channel losless or never compressed audio with the newer format players before next year will be on Blu Ray.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
This is not correct. This is where your previous post was incorrect.

There are two lossless multichannel formats in the HD-DVD and Blu-ray specifications -- DTS-HD and Dolby TruHD. The Toshiba players fully support multichannel lossless using DTS-HD, but do not fully support Dolby TruHD (limited to two-chan). Because the technology isn't available to decode multichannel Dolby TruHD yet, all HD-DVD (and probably Blu-ray) titles with lossless audio coming for the forseeable future will use DTS-HD. A number of the HD-DVD launch titles are confirmed to incorporate lossless multichannel audio with DTS-HD, and they will be available to consumers on the date of HD-DVD's release.

The Toshiba HD-DVD players also support high-resolution multichannel uncompressed (lossless) audio, in the form of LPCM. LPCM is also the only way you can experience something other than lossy audio on the Pioneer, because it offers no decoding for either of the lossless codecs (DTS-HD and TruHD) in the Blu-ray specification.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
YAWN
And the HD DVD vs. Blu Ray war continues here, I see.
This is getting as tedious as the DD vs. DTS war a while back.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

With the added silliness that none of the participants in this debate has so much as seen either format. This reminds me more of the "DVD is going to be inferior to laserdisc" wars of 1995 and 1996. I can't understand why people are getting so emotionally invested based on rumors and marketing hype from parties with a vested interest in one format or another. And that, in essence, is all any of us have right now. Wake me up in 2010, which is when I'll be ready to seriously consider a hi-def DVD format. :)

Regards,

Joe

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

With all due respect, one doesn't need to "see" anything to verify that one format has a higher maximum bit-rate or that one format allows for higher storage capacity. Those are features of a format which could be utilized for an advantage. Whether a studio chooses to make the most in *implimenting* a feature is another matter...one that you'd need to "see" something to verify. But the *potential* offered by a feature-advantage exists regardless.

I'm sure that both HD DVD and Blu-ray will look and sound better than the stadard-def DVDs I have on my shelf. No "laserdisc is better than DVD" nonsense going on my my corner!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks