What's new

Blu ray decoding/ analog (1 Viewer)

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
Hi,

Will i be losing some sound quality because multi channel outputs are anaolog and I am not using the hdmi for all the high res audio codecs such dtshd-ma? in otherwords will by using multi channel outputs and having the blu ray player decode, will it sound the same as using hdmi and having a receiver decode?

2nd question,
are blu ray movies in 7.1?

thanks!

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
Last question first: A few, very few.

Analog audio can be nearly as good as a HDMI 1.3 connection depending upon your equipment. Bass Management System, or lack of, is the thing you have to watch out for. Some newer Blu-ray players have good BMS, while others (Smasung P1400 for one) have nearly no BMS. Some AVRs have BMS for their analog inputs, but most do not. Therefore, I hope you are seeing the "Catch 22." It is important that you know the exact capabilities of your AVR & Blu-ray player so you can properly set your system up. It can be easy, or a real pain if you are not careful. I have been there, done that, and have felt the pain, but I did make it work. However, I now have a Onkyo 805 and use HDMI
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

sptrout

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve

I do not believe so because in the manual under the "Listening Modes Available for Each Source Format" Section the only modes available are; Pure Audio, Direct, Multichannel, and Stereo. All the listening modes that would require DS Processing are unavailable. This seems to be typical; you have to read the manual carefully, and "between the lines," to be able to figure out what is going on, or not going on.

I had the same problem before with a Denon 3300 where you REALLY had to read between the lines to figure out that it did not do any DSP work on its 5.1 analog input.

Therefore in my previous setup with a P1400 & the 3300, neither device provided BMS. The P1400 only has settings for speaker sizes, which only set the crossover frequency of each speaker to 100Hz when set to small. No LFE boost, or speaker distance settings. I first installed this configuration nearly 1 1/2 years ago and it took me a longtime to figure out why I had no bass and then how to fix it by increasing the analog LFE input 15dB.

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
thanks but im wondering now...

currently with my dvd player i use an opitcal cable and my receiver has the option of PLIIx which takes the 5.1 sound and makes it 7.1 by taking the surround speakers signal and feeding it to the surround back speakers as well.

However, for blu ray if i use the multi channel inputs can i still matrix the sound from 5.1 to 7.1?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I guess it would depend on the BR player since it would do the processing. If it has Dolby ProLogicII I think it would. The BR player would need 7.1 analog outs, not 5.1. The receiver would also need 7.1 analog in's. Some only have 5.1

familyguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jup
do you know if the sony bdp 550 is capable of doing PLIIx?

also i would really like to have all 7 speakers being used otherwise its a waste so do you think if i use an optical cable instead of multichannel outputs that it will sound the same?

i need your opioion. can you notice the difference in sound quality of lossless sound?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have my Samsung 1400 hooked up with both 5.1 analog cables and optical and by pushing a button on the remote I can quickly change from one to the other. I would say the difference in sound quality is noticable, but not drastic. But the 1400 doesn't do DTS-MA thru the 5.1's, only Dolby TrueHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks