What's new

Custom Cover Blu-Ray Custom Cover art thread (1 Viewer)

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
I got tired of seeing the dreary Mill Creek cover for MR. SARDONICUS, a double-bill disc with THE BROTHERHOOD OF SATAN, which I watched once and enjoyed, but really only bought for Sardonicus. Here's my humble effort, using the original poster art and most of the Mill Creek rear liner:

sardonicus_liner_web.jpg

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Your work is amazing! Have you done one for "Lady From Shanghai" yet?!? (I hate the design and DVD size box from TCM)

Gromilini

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Logan
Not sure if you're referring to me or the actually amazing Fritz Nilsen, but I'll be presumptuous and say thanks! :)

I think all I did with The Lady From Shanghai is chop the top and bottom navy-blue bands off the DVD-sized cover and put it in one of the fat 1/2" blu-ray cases--a very lazy solution, but it actually looks okay. At least until I get the energy to give it the full treatment.

The only other custom blu-ray cover art I've done is for each of the Universal Monsters flix, and an English-language version of my Monolith Monsters German import. But I do marvel at Fritz's work, and am proud to have several of his designs on my shelves.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Here is a recently commissioned set of separate Blu-ray covers for the Die Hard collection.

With a set like this the main challenge is to unify the artwork, where two decades separate the style of the theatrical posters. For that reason I went with the colourful international version of Die Hard 1 instead of the monochromatic U.S. poster. At the client's request the title treatments were homogenized to bring the very cohesion he and I were after. Actually, the hardest part of this particular job was finding a favourable critic's quote for the fifth film. In the end I cheated and cut of Richard Roeper in mid-sentence to slant it. I should have been in advertising!!

The client also asked that all specifics regarding extras and specs be omitted to make the covers compatible with all past and future releases.
It becomes a bit sticky with the "unrated" Live Free or Die Hard, as that cover mentions the PG-13 rating specifically. Also, the fifth cover mentions both the theatrical and extended version ratings, but only the theatrical runtime is listed. I'm usually a stickler for these things but I've reached Die Hard Burnout :)

The client has asked me to share the set with all interested parties, so feel free to PM me for download links.

aoojzW.png

ovCkRk.png

T18GJj.png

XQDTZ9.png

SzEPZV.png

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Just now completed the Robocop Trilogy Blu-ray covers inspired by the old Orion Home Video releases.

PM me for copies.

vO8XND.png

GdnYr9.png

Jceora.png

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
FOXRIVER8 said:
Hi fritz any chance I could have a set of the die hards ? Cheers mate
Hi Wayne.

Just hover your cursor over my username in the heading of any of my posts and choose "Send Message".

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
I just finished a custom Blu-ray cover for Predator, and made some modifications to an old Predator 2 cover to match.
The set is available via PM.
MC3yKz.png

ZfAHBS.png

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Love the cover art for the original!

I did a double-take on the second one, though. Thought the back read "She's coming to town...".

Impeccable work, as always.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Jason Charlton said:
I did a double-take on the second one, though. Thought the back read "She's coming to town...".
Ha ha. Good catch. Completely unintentional, but once you've seen it you can't unsee it. I was contemplating shrinking the tagline a bit, because it seemed a bit overwhelming. This just sealed the deal.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Since I repeatedly get asked which software I use to create covers, I figured I'd lift the veil on the entire process.

I use MagicCoverDesigner 3.0. Neat program. One-click simplicity. You just enter the title of the film you want to create a cover for, press "Generate", then it scours the 'net for high-rez images and posters, picks the coolest poster, merges several images if need be to extract the highest possible quality, paints out creases and age-related wear from old posters, auto-translates foreign type into English if applicable, picks and downloads and installs genre-appropriate/period-appropriate fonts, copies and merges several synopsis' from IMDB or DVDempire, auto-generates never-before-seen layouts for the back (also genre/period-appropriate), picks stills that are spoiler free (on a scale from 1-6 which you specify when prompted) again searches the entire Internet for the best resolution and clarity images (even auto-downloads images from services such as MoviePictureDatabase and charges my PayPal), searches databases for audio/video specs for that specific title and enters them in thoughtful easy-to-read arrangement, enters title-specific/studio-specific legal text, does impeccable spell-checking on everything (never once failed so far), and saves master files and compressed downloadable files to your harddrive (with backups on an external drive).

If you update to version 4.5 the program also makes auto-generated 3D previews that are automatically uploaded to your ImageShack account, then makes a post bragging about your new creation on several forums (memberships come separately), and answers all PM requests each saturday morning from 9 to 11 (configurable).

Nothing to it, really :)

Did I mention it's freeware?

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
A set of Star Trek covers using the iconic original art by Bob Peak for the first five. I was working on these when the news broke about Leonard Nimoy's passing. These are available by PM request.
HkVJnp.png

4tWZVo.png

DFJzOj.png

eMSFHH.png

wE8rVp.png

OzrClA.png

NfJusn.png

U3LMpa.png

VVA1DO.png

GcH5XH.png

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
Thanks to the generosity of my clients I am happy to announce the availability of these custom Blu-ray covers for seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones. PM me for copies.
gameofthroness1.png

eg3s.png

cvt9.png

IHKz7I.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks