What's new

Blu-Ray boosts home entertainment. Are you buying Blu-Ray's or renting? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I do both but I rarely will buy a new release because I can't afford to be buying everything I want to see. I have no "disposable income" for it, That's what redbox is for. I cancelled NF and now use BBO. Unfortunately new releases take months to become available. Oh well. My buys are usually sale pricing such as the current Best Buy trade in deal going that gives you $5 coupons towards any movie. Plenty of $10 Blus to choose from.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I typically buy but I do rent a few titles here and there from Netflix. Those have lessened over the last year or so since they adopted that silly 28 day delay for new release rentals. (now 56 days for WB!) Now unless it's a release I have to have on release date, I usually wait unless the price drops, especially for WB titles. A good recent example is the film Contagion. I want to see it and its a film I typically would have rented during the first week of release. Now I just sit and wait for it to price drop (Amazon loves to drop prices a few weeks after release) to something more reasonable since I'll probably watch it and then it will sit on my shelf for several months or years or I will trade it back in to Amazon. Overall, I pretty much just weigh the "rewatchability" factor vs. price vs. availability when deciding to buy vs. rent.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Both - I can't imagine just doing one or the other exclusively

The vast majority of what I do buy are catalog titles.

The vast majority of "New" releases are rentals. I'd say about 90% of the new releases I've seen the past year are titles I have no desire to see again, let alone own. Some I wish I never watched in the first place.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've never rented & tend to only buy catalogue titles. Now I'm over 60 (just!), I can borrow DVD's from my local libraries for free! So I tend to see all the new films on DVD, & if I really liked one I'd buy the Blu-ray, but it doesn't happen very often.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Jim_K said:
Both - I can't imagine just doing one or the other exclusively The vast majority of what I do buy are catalog titles. The vast majority of "New" releases are rentals. I'd say about 90% of the new releases I've seen the past year are titles I have no desire to see again, let alone own. Some I wish I never watched in the first place.
Same. I hardly ever go to the movies. So i rent new releases from NetFlix on Blu, if available. If i like the movie, i buy it when the price is right. I buy TV shows on Blu, and DVD. Mostly old shows, as i am not a fan of many newer shows. The wife and i did get hooked on Dexter recently! I upgrade many of the catalog movies i own on DVD, to Blu, once the price is right. Oh, and i kicked NetFlix streaming to the curb. I toss the digital download discs, and i have no use for UltraViolet at this time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am also in the "buy catalog and rent new releases" category. In the SD-DVD days, I made too many blind buy purchases of films I didn't care for, so I've been trying to avoid that with Blu-ray. We do not rent often, though, so I've been patronizing our local Blockbuster store, which has $2 BD rentals. Unfortunately, they are finally closing, so I will need to find another place to rent. We can go months without renting, so a monthly subscription service such as Netflix doesn't work for us. I have streamed a few movies via Vudu, but their prices can be high (I had about $25 in credits, so haven't paid anything yet). I may try Amazon's service, and if I like the quality and content it may be enough to push me to a Prime membership, which is cheaper than a year of Netflix and there are other benefits. We also rarely go to the movie theater. I think the last film I saw in the theater was Avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks