What's new

Blu-Profile question re: Sony BDP 301 (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
How do I know what profile this is? I bought it early Dec and now im reading about compatibilty issues on certain machines with future releases that firmwares cant handle.

Am I screwed?

PS 1.1 or 2.0? Which one is older?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I just read in another thread that 2.0 is only internet connection. If thats the case I could care less.

Thanks anyway

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
There are 3 BD profiles:

1.0 supports playback of all current and future titles, but the players lack the secondary audio and video decoders necessary for PIP special features.

1.1 same as 1.1 but includes the secondary decoders

2.0 same as 1.1 but adds ethernet connectivity for online content.

Your 301 is a 1.0 player.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The only issue is you won't see the newest features on the menu when you put a profile 1.1 or 2.0 disc in your player. If extra features are of no concern, you are fine.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Some extras I do care about but if they are the dvd-rom type on current dvds i dont care.

I like commentaries, outtakes/deleted scenes and some but not all documentaries.

Im sure I'll be fine.

Thanks for the replies :)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

It's not just DVD-ROM. 1.1 includes PiP commentaries and advanced Java applications. If you want to take advantage of the HD DVD type Picture-in-Picture commentaries that play in a small window along with the feature film, then you definitely need a 1.1 player.

I never thought I'd want that stuff, but after viewing the PiP material on 300 and the Bourne films, I now regret my purchase of a 1.0 player. As soon as the new Panasonic BD50 comes down in price, I'm upgrading. Personally, at an $89 price difference (Amazon) between the S301 and the Panasonic DMP-BD30, I'd get the Profile 1.1 Panasonic.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you don't need multichannel analog output and aren't prejudiced agains owning a game machine the 40gig PS3 available now for $399 is the best performing (fastest loading and most reliable with excellent pq for BD and SD) and most future-proof BD player available.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I just bought my machine in December!

Ill wait and upgrade later. Thanks for the heads up though

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
color me confused, but can the profile be updated by a firmware update? I have a 1.0 player that I bought in December. I chatted with Sony's online CS and she said that their engineers were working on an update to 1.1 via a firmware update. This workable or was she blowing smoke up my ...?

I tried to do some of those features on 3:10 to Yuma, they did work but rather flaky. The daillies were the only thing that interested me though, the script pages were too hard to read.

I'm not going to be too happy if my brand new player isnt capable of handling certain discs SE stuff. I only found out about this profiling after I bought the durn thing. Caveat emptor.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure it has been confirmed that the 2nd video/audio processor that is necessary for Profile 1.1 is not present in the S300. So unless they figure out a way to make hardware out of software, it is not possible to upgrade to 1.1. The Sony guy was misinformed to say the least.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor

Aye, what burns me more is the smoke being blown by the CS (I was pretty sure it was smoke at the time but unsure).

That being said, I wonder if Sony will offer some sort of upgrade so that our 1.0 players can be made 1.1??

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not possible on the S300. It doesn't have the hardware required, specifically the secondary audio/video processors which handle PiP content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks